Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have seen my post "Help with lightning strike". Anyway I have an appt to drop off at Polaris dealer on 9/19. Weather is supposed to be awesome this weekend and I would sure love to get some wind therapy in. Everything works except the speedometer, odometer display ( toggle options as well ) , tachometer, fuel gauge, amp charge indicator and radio controls.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Some of you may have seen my post "Help with lightning strike". Anyway I have an appt to drop off at Polaris dealer on 9/19. Weather is supposed to be awesome this weekend and I would sure love to get some wind therapy in. Everything works except the speedometer, odometer display ( toggle options as well ) , tachometer, fuel gauge, amp charge indicator and radio controls.
Ive owned and ridden plenty of bikes with none of the above

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive owned and ridden plenty of bikes with none of the above

I'm not worried about not having any of the above. I guess I'm more worried about if there could be other electrical issues that would cause more damage if I rode the bike or if the new battery wouldn't charge while riding and leave me stranded on a back road in BFE.

·
Registered
241 Posts
There's no way to answer this question.. electrical problems are impossible to diagnose or anticipate w/out actually testing the components. If you're saying that the bike starts and runs ok but you have instrumentation that doesn't work.. I might chance it myself.. but who knows? Sounds like probably just a blown breaker or fuse to me.. but the ECU on the vic's have always been an achilles heel IMO.. they are SO freaking sensitive to voltage..there's also the 'zing' phenomenon.. I work with computer, have for years.. and over the years I've seen a lot of pc's that got zinged from lighting strikes to power lines that will appear to work ok for a while, then develop intermittent issues and finally stop working altogether.. when you hit electronics with high voltage they weren't designed for all kinds of odd crap can happen. Sorry to be so vague.. but hell, you might be better off running it a bit before you drop it off so you can see if any other issues crop up.

·
13,185 Posts
If you can prove to the insurance company that your bike was struck by lighting. You should tell them. The gauge cluster radio and more is not cheap.
Maybe they will cover parts and dealer charge

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
What he said!

There's no way to answer this question.. electrical problems are impossible to diagnose or anticipate w/out actually testing the components. If you're saying that the bike starts and runs ok but you have instrumentation that doesn't work.. I might chance it myself.. but who knows? Sounds like probably just a blown breaker or fuse to me.. but the ECU on the vic's have always been an achilles heel IMO.. they are SO freaking sensitive to voltage..there's also the 'zing' phenomenon.. I work with computer, have for years.. and over the years I've seen a lot of pc's that got zinged from lighting strikes to power lines that will appear to work ok for a while, then develop intermittent issues and finally stop working altogether.. when you hit electronics with high voltage they weren't designed for all kinds of odd crap can happen. Sorry to be so vague.. but hell, you might be better off running it a bit before you drop it off so you can see if any other issues crop up.
Second this opinion.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hmm yea I have a couple thoughts too. If bike was hit with lightning are you positive the dash etc is the only thing damaged. Might have to test ride it a bit to be sure something else is not fried. If its under warranty and they are fixing it or an insurance job, make sure phone is charged and go for it. If ECM craps out, drop a dime and call a tow truck.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
I'd at least pull the front grill off and look at the battery connections to see it it melted the lead terminals. I'd go ahead and look under the side covers and seat too to see if there is any obvious damage to any wiring.

If you're comfortable pulling the front fairing to look in there; it would be a good idea too.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd at least pull the front grill off and look at the battery connections to see it it melted the lead terminals. I'd go ahead and look under the side covers and seat too to see if there is any obvious damage to any wiring.

If you're comfortable pulling the front fairing to look in there; it would be a good idea too.

When I went out to initially start it everything was dead. I checked the circuit breaker and it was good. Replaced the battery, checked all the fuses behind the right side cover and they were good. Hit the switch and bike fired right up, everything seems fine with the exception of the things I said that were not working.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
A lighting strike is not like a short circuit. The pulse is FAST and powerful. A fuse or circuit can not respond in time to trip. The electronic components on the circuit boards sounds like they have been fried. It sounds to me that every circuit board on the bike is toast. IF in fact the insurance will pay for it and you ride it and they find out, i think they may have a case of telling you "sorry Charlie, how do we know YOU didnt do it on your ride", then you are in a fight with lawyers. In my opinion i would not ride it. I would err on the side of caution.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
A lighting strike is not like a short circuit. The pulse is FAST and powerful. A fuse or circuit can not respond in time to trip. The electronic components on the circuit boards sounds like they have been fried. It sounds to me that every circuit board on the bike is toast. IF in fact the insurance will pay for it and you ride it and they find out, i think they may have a case of telling you "sorry Charlie, how do we know YOU didnt do it on your ride", then you are in a fight with lawyers. In my opinion i would not ride it. I would err on the side of caution.
Ring your insurance company if you havent already.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I agree with JPokerwinski. Lightening is funny stuff. If the words, "we are considering totaling it came up" I would be jumping on that.
The issue is the kickstand was down and provided an alternate path to ground from the building ground. No telling what happened to the electronics or how much of a hit they took.

·
Registered
233 Posts

For what it is worth mine was doing the same thing. Found the plug between the key switch and the harness had corrosion built up in it for the red and orange wire. took it apart cleaned and bypassed the connector for testing and all worked as it was supposed to. Got the connectors ordered from Corsa and should be doing the replacement later this week when they come in. Maybe something you can check..

·
13,185 Posts
I would replace the wheel bearings front and rear. They don't hold up to lighting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts