Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 Vegas Jackpot. I checked the oil level per the manual and the dipstick reads what appears to be about a half quart high. The manual says too much oil may cause damage. Do I need to drain out the extra oil so that the level is no higher than the "FULL" mark or does it really matter?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drain it out!!
Okay, thanks for your advice. If the previous owner had run with this for the last 100 miles or so (I have no way of knowing, but the oil looks and feels recent and it has 2600 miles on it), might it have caused any damage?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Flame Daddy, if you havn't already " drained" the oil out, a simple solution is to purchase a plastic syringe at a horse supply 2 oz. put a 6 - 8 inch piece of clear vynal tubing on the end and draw out the oil through the oil fill spout.

steve

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Flame Daddy, if you havn't already " drained" the oil out, a simple solution is to purchase a plastic syringe at a horse supply 2 oz. put a 6 - 8 inch piece of clear vynal tubing on the end and draw out the oil through the oil fill spout.

steve

Damn, thats a GREAT idea!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks, Steve! I haven't drained it yet, so I really appreciate your suggestion. These forums are awesome!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have 2 Turkey basters... Cheap right at the grocery store...

I use one for oil, tranny fluid, power steering fluid, etc... The other I keep specifically for brake fluid.

Even though I clean them both after use, I don't want to take the chance of cross contamination in the brake system.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I use one for oil, tranny fluid, power steering fluid, etc... The other I keep specifically for brake fluid.

Even though I clean them both after use, I don't want to take the chance of cross contamination in the brake system.

Bob/QUOTE]

Ahhh, hadn't thought of that one either. It makes sense to keep them separate too. Thanks for another great idea! :)

·
Registered
275 Posts

Bob/QUOTE]

Ahhh, hadn't thought of that one either. It makes sense to keep them separate too. Thanks for another great idea! :)
You are quite welcome...

That being said.... Remember, Brakes should be bled every year and completely flushed every other year.

You CANNOT see bad/contaminated brake fluid. If it is noticeable, the vehicle is more than likely unsafe to drive by that time.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
243 Posts
thats also a good idea, is the baster marked? the 2 oz. syringe has oz and cc increment markings on it, hard to make a mistake,

in addition when using brake fluid , do not get any on your paint, as it will lift the paint, rinse it off using water.

steve

·
Registered
275 Posts
One baster is marked, the other is not... Personally I haven't had a reason to measure anything using the baster... Just happens to have the marks..

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

steve
Hey Steve,

I couldn't find a horse syringe locally (another disadvantage of living in the big city), so I did it old school and just got some clear tubing so I could watch the rising level in the tube and sucked it out. It worked, but I think I would have preferred the horse syringe. Got distracted once...man that oil tastes nasty :eek:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey Steve,

I couldn't find a horse syringe locally (another disadvantage of living in the big city), so I did it old school and just got some clear tubing so I could watch the rising level in the tube and sucked it out. It worked, but I think I would have preferred the horse syringe. Got distracted once...man that oil tastes nasty :eek:
you gave me an idea, fill er up with beer , that way if you need to drain some out nooo problem,...
altho not sure how good beer is at lubricating and if the wife / girlfriend found you passed out under you bike with a hose from your bike in your mouth they would assume us bikers are truly a different breed,

oh well just a thought

steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you gave me an idea, fill er up with beer , that way if you need to drain some out nooo problem,...
altho not sure how good beer is at lubricating and if the wife / girlfriend found you passed out under you bike with a hose from your bike in your mouth they would assume us bikers are truly a different breed,

oh well just a thought

steve
Here's your solution, Steve :D

Old Engine Oil is a dark chocolatey beer brewed by Harviestoun Brewery, Alva, Scotland."

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here's your solution, Steve :D

Old Engine Oil is a dark chocolatey beer brewed by Harviestoun Brewery, Alva, Scotland."
now were gettin somewhere bro, good ol scottish or belgian beer, I do not drink and ride, so I ride very fast, get where im goining, get the motel, have a steak dinner, and bring the beer back to the hotel room, yes, yes, yes.

steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ultimate problem with over-filling with oil is you end up creating a situation where engine parts cant move for oil.Not sure if its the same with a dry-sump motor like the LC8, but over-filling older motors would result in the piston forcing oil back through the rings and causing great damage. Over-filling is usually worse than under-filling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cheers JUST change the oil and you well no whats going on, besides you shoud do that too any used anything you get just too be on the safe side of things. Ride Safe DIGDENNYcheerscheers

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Ummmm I know it way late in the game but when my kingpin is given back after an oil change, AT THE DEALER, ....oil level is to the threads. That is above the "full" mark. The mechanic, the work order all refer to 5 quarts. Did my own oil change, I used a vic oil kit, 1 (polaris) filter + 5 quarts..guess what? right to the threads. I also find the engine runs more quiet with the oil at this level.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts