Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Highball is the only thread in this forum that leans away from indivuality. Don't get me wrong, there are some great bikes here that people have successfully made "thier own".

I think it is because we are trying to convince ourselves it is a Bobber. When we do that we limit what can be done with this platform.

Would any one even consider putting bags and a fairing on a rigid frame bike with a two gallon tank and a springer fork? That would be crazy.

So, what is a Bobber? Some would say that the lack of or shortened front fender would define a bobber. That said, if you put bags , fairing, and a top case on it is it still a bobber? Is the Highball truly a bobber?
Reply with your thoughts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Based on the classic post WW2 definition of "bobbing" a motorcycle .... No it isn't.

Returning vets would take surplus military motorcycles and strip as much unnecessary "fluff" as possible from them for speed, style, and attitude. If everyone had it they didn't want it.

A Highball is just another "stock" factory motorcycle inspired by this era.

If anyone can buy one .... It ain't a bobber IMO.

Mike

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on the classic post WW2 definition of "bobbing" a motorcycle .... No it isn't.

Returning vets would take surplus military motorcycles and strip as much unnecessary "fluff" as possible from them for speed, style, and attitude. If everyone had it they didn't want it.

A Highball is just another "stock" factory motorcycle inspired by this era.

If anyone can buy one .... It ain't a bobber IMO.

Mike
Hmmmmm, well said.

·
Registered
477 Posts
For me if the seat touches the rear fender it's not a bobber. I know that's small but it's the one thing about bobbers that has always stuck out to me.

·
Registered
477 Posts
So, not a bobber then?
Not my vision of one. More of a custom to me. I guess by definition it could be a bobber but not by traditional style.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, not a lot of discussion on this one?

I imagine there isn't as much discussion on this thread because the answer doesn't really matter. The Highball is not a cheap bike to acquire. For the cost of one you could easily buy an old Honda, Kawasaki or Suzukii, buy one of those bobber kits, cut off your fenders and be good to go, twice.
Of course, you wouldn't have the big Vic engine.

So, in the purest sense of the word, I say the Highball isn't a Bobber.

But I will say it is a minimalist high torque motorcycle that allows the owner to make whatever they want. If they choose to.

That's true enough for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with you. The Highball isn't any more of a Bobber than the "Bobber Without Compromise", Gunner. They're both parts-bin Vegas'(no idea what the plural of Vegas should be) and can be taken in any direction the owner chooses.

The Highball is, in my opinion, just another cool bike from Victory. More of a retro throwback than anything else. Many people have put bags and fairings on them. Plenty of people just ride them as is (self included) and never take the knife to it. As you mentioned, the Highball is an expensive bike to take home and hack up.

Too bad they quit making the Hardball.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I loved my bike and I do miss it. I thought of it more like a Resto-mod. Looks like an old school bike with all the luxuries of a new one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I loved my bike and I do miss it. I thought of it more like a Resto-mod. Looks like an old school bike with all the luxuries of a new one.
Excellent comparison!

Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
No.

"It's not a bobber!" In my best Arnold Schwarzenegger impression.

It is just a motorcycle. A modern bike built to resemble the bobber style. Swap some parts, it's a Vegas, swap some more, it's a Gunner, etc. It has 2 wheels and a kick ass motor, that's the important part!
cheers

·
Registered
477 Posts
^^^^, lol! It's all true though!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"It's not a bobber!" In my best Arnold Schwarzenegger impression.

It is just a motorcycle. A modern bike built to resemble the bobber style. Swap some parts, it's a Vegas, swap some more, it's a Gunner, etc. It has 2 wheels and a kick ass motor, that's the important part!
cheers
It makes sense when you read it doing a Arnold Schwarzenegger imitation!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts