Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about this XM radio stuff, it's a pretty pricey accessory here in Canada. On the victory website, it's listed at $585.00 CDN.

Is it a worthwhile accessory? How much does it cost to get signed up for an XM radio package?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I don't know much about this XM radio stuff, it's a pretty pricey accessory here in Canada. On the victory website, it's listed at $585.00 CDN.

Is it a worthwhile accessory? How much does it cost to get signed up for an XM radio package?
XM subscription pricing changes over time, but currently their plans start at $12.95/mo. For more info on that, see their website at: http://www.siriusxm.com/.

Is it worth it? You decide. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well CrossRoads, truth be told..................I'm a bit of a cheap-ass and if it costs any more then say $50.00 for a year, I'd pass.

I'll stick to my iPod I guess.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You have to buy the system and then pay a monthly subscription?? Screw that! Nothing wrong with being a tight @$$ and using an IPOD. I personally wouldn't even buck for an IPOD; I can get a knock-off that will still hold a couple of thousands songs for a quarter as much money.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I have and have had XM/Sirius in my last 4 cars. Personally I LOVE it. Went from Sacramento to Portland last September and it was great to listen to my favorite music with no problems. Same thing going from Sac to Los Angleles. There are parts of Central California where there is nothing but spanish!

·
Registered
289 Posts
XM comment and speakers

XM? been there done that.....it is great in rental cars...but i am a tight wad and the value just is not there for me..the most useful radio thing is the weather band but then only at stops....i will say that dear (young) santa did put in an ipod for me....and i am enjoying this...

about the sound...given that i have only one ear...and that i wear a head rag...and have the "arizona slammers" ... the sound i get is really pretty marginal...

saying this perhaps d-dobber can tell me again (please) the size and results of the speakers he installed to his CC...during his recent bars-trick out...i seem to recall that i can pull the speaker grills and do the install without pulling the entire inner faring????

ps..no way trunk for me...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
If you do decide to go with XM there's a guy in Georgia on theVMC selling his setup for $75 shipped to the lower 48. I bet he would sell it to you and give you a fair price on shipping to CA.

·
12,983 Posts
If you can afford it go for it. There is nothing like being out in the back roads and hearing the sounds you like. I pods can't give you a 140 channels and the variety that one likes. I have been in corn fields and playing Poverty and have been in snow storms where it takes two hours to get home.
I can't tell you a better way to here the blues or what ever then XM.:)

·
Registered
528 Posts
If ya have that kinda of money go for it. As for myself, the answer would be NO.

My IPod works for me and if I get bored with that I have a search on my radio.

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
Did you get the ipod connector from the dealership or did you find it somewhere else???
Assuming you're riding a Vision or XC the best bet is through Victory. These guys have the best prices I've found.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree. Victory and Apple worked together or what ever in order to have a plug and play harness for the Ipod. The harness incorporates 2 leads that is required to have your hand controls control the IPod.
Finding something that has the ability to connect the Ipod through the radio will be tricky.
Look at this way it is not a expense but a investment.
There is a extension for the IPod but it has large connection so it will not go through the saddle bag.
$130 is not that much really, consider the XM price or even a passenger backrest/luggage rack price. you get more for your money

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have it and love it (got 20% off at Maxims). I already had XM on my truck, an additional readio was $5/month.

The XC has a good radio/speakers and this way I can listen to what I want without commercials. Plus, I ride a lot in the mountains where there is no am/fm reception.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another XM tip is that when you let it expire they start sending you "special offers" at discounted rates . After my wife told them I was too cheap to renew at their high prices they made her an offer.... I'm talking in my car but based on their deal with" additional subscriptions" I may go with it when I get my XC . Some tall buildings and mountains can block signals for short periods occasionally but when you find your stations you can listen to them coast to coast. Nice !

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well just an insider tip, I installed the iPod kit and use it on my iPhone and I can listen to the XM app through the kit. Its not perfect BUT it does save $13 a month and $400 plus on the Kit.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have it and absolutely love it. i ride in the mountains a lot, no real radio reception.

I do have an iPod, but am not in to recording that many songs, so the few hundred I have get old. With XM I can change stations to listen to any genre of music easily. Many dealerships sell at 20+% off retail, and, to me, the monthly is just not that significant compared to the result.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm sure Victory OEM XM radio is a good product, but have you thought about buying a Garmin ZUMO GPS with XM? ZUMO 665 with XM40 or ZUMO 550 with XM30 would do the trick.

I purchased a Garmin 550 and XM30 in early 2008. Paid $112 or so for year service. Spring 2009 they sent me a Lifetime subscribtion offer for either $299 or $399, can't remember which now. Anyhow, I jumped on the offer. Been pleased every since. Favorite Channels never has to change when riding across state or across country.

If I'm correct, ZUMO 665 comes with XM40 receiver/antenna where as XM30 must be purchased seperately from ZUMO 550.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here's my ZUMO 550:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts