Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes. I know. This is a weird question...

Is there a minimum temperature below which a Victory 106 engine won't run?

I have a sort of "tradition" that I always ride on New Year's Day, no matter what - my little good luck ritual.

So, on Monday, I attempted to start my bike. (2016 Gunner) The overnight temperature here was 12 degrees F, and the temperature at noon, when I tried to start, it was about 24 degrees.

My battery is strong - it has been on the trickle charger since it got cold.

The engine turned over fine, and tried to start, but it would not keep running. It would run for a couple seconds and then quit. I know it was firing because the exhaust was loud... No matter what I did, I could not get it to catch and keep running. I finally gave up because I was worried about the starter.

So my question is, do any of you ride at these temperatures? Is it the way the engine computer is tuned, or something like that?

(EDIT: I rode all afternoon the previous Saturday, Dec. 30. The temperature was about 38 degrees, and the bike started and ran just fine)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ride from around 40 and the bike does let you know its cold. Takes a while to warm. 12 may be pushing it especially if the oil is still 20-40.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ride from around 40 and the bike does let you know its cold. Takes a while to warm. 12 may be pushing it especially if the oil is still 20-40.
It was 12 overnight, but it was 25 when I tried to start it.

Like you, I ride all the time at 38-40 degrees. Never a problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just had a very similar issue. It was around 20-25 degrees F a few days after Christmas in the Philadelphia area. I decided to ride to Revzilla which is about 30 miles on I95. Bike started and warmed up no problem. I plugged in my heated gear, and off I went. A few turns after I exited I95, the bike stalled out and would not start unless I gave it some throttle. If I let go of the throttle, it stalled right out. I let it sit in Revzilla's parking lot for about a half hour while I shopped. I tried to start it again, but same issue. I was low on gas, so I went to the gas station around the corner and gave it a full tank. Still ran the same way.
I know these Cross bikes have some really weird issues with a bad/low battery, so I figured it was that. I've been looking into getting a battery with more cold cranking amps than the stock battery, but that seems hard to do. I've started looking into AGM (glass mat) batteries, but haven't found anything online. Next step is to pull the battery and run to different stores to see what they have in stock. I'm still thinking it's battery related, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I'll keep you all updated if I find anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Facebook.

Ohhhh.... I was wracking my brain trying to think of a Victory bike that had a name starting with "F" and "B"... (smacks own forehead...) :laugh

Is this a Facebook group associated with this forum, or just a general Victory group? I'd like to join it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ohhhh.... I was wracking my brain trying to think of a Victory bike that had a name starting with "F" and "B"... (smacks own forehead...) :laugh

Is this a Facebook group associated with this forum, or just a general Victory group? I'd like to join it.

I’m guessing it’s just a general victory page.

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
90 Posts
UPDATE:
I bought a Duralast Gold Absorbed Glass Mat Battery (Part# ETX20L). I won't install it yet because I am lazy, and it's only 18 degrees outside.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I tend to keep my CCT on a Battery Tender whenever it won't be run for a day or so. It was in the low teens Sunday night and 17F when I started my CCT on Monday morning to go on a Polar Bear ride. Of course I let it warm up plenty before heading out. It warmed up to 27F when I got home. The bike ran perfectly the whole time.

Two things to ALWAYS remember when starting your Victory is:

1. rotate the throttle open slightly

2. hold the starter button until it's running. Do not let up on the starter button and risk a backfire. Especially in the cold. A backfire will most likely take out the starter sprague (Bemdix type gear) which will leave your Victory unable to be started as the starter motor will just spin without anything left to engage the engine.

As an added benefit, regularly put a gasoline additive in the tank to ensure your gas or gas line doesn't freeze in the Winter and that it stays clean all year round..

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
The last ride did before I put my XC up for the winter was with temps in the lower 20's F.... I had no problems running the bike.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Chattanooga Mark has excellent info in his last post. To that I would add...At least an hour prior to startup, I place a room heater that has a fan in it next to the engine. That warms the oil, the battery, the starter, and the engine and makes life a lot easier for all those components when starting the engine. I also use Rotella T-6, especially because its a 5W-40 weight oil which flows easier cold and circulates faster. I have Batteries + best AGM and never had cold start problem even in the 20s.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not sure, but mine started at -6 last week and idled just fine until it was fully warm. Wind chills were -20 but it was inside the garage, door fully open...was pretty damn cold either way.

My BMW would run great on the roads at that temp, It was not uncommon for me to ride in -5 on that bike. Lowest I had my Pin out on the road in was about 20 degrees for about 10 miles RT. Might be a battery issue. I run Rotella T6, so its a synthetic, I assume any synthetic will have similar properties.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I normally ride late in the year when temperatures are in the teens to 20s and have never had an issue. I always let bike warm up for about 10 minutes before hitting the road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for your replies.

I'm starting to think I might have another problem besides just the battery - which, as I stated, is strong and I always keep it on the tender in cold weather.

The lights are bright, the fuel pump spins up like normal, it turns over like normal, and it fires - it just won't keep running.

As I said, I ride all winter, and I had just ridden it all afternoon two days before on a 38 degree day.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Double check your spark plug gap and be sure the plug wires snap on to the plugs.

Check to make sure no one put any dielectric grease inside the plug wire ends. Take some carb cleaner and Q-tips to them to be sure. In warm weather the spark can be strong enough to push through the grease but in cold weather it may not until it's warmed up. If you have a heat gun or even hair dryer you might blow the hot air on the plug wires where they connect to the plug to see if it starts. If so that's where your issue is.

Dielectric grease can be put on the porcelain part of the plugs and outer part of the coil where the rubber meets the coil to create a better seal but not where there is metal to metal contact.

I found this out the hard way not too long ago. I guess I was just getting lucky when I was doing it wrong before. D. Grease is an insulation; not a conductor of electricity.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting. OK, I'll try that. Had no issues last winter, but Monday was the coldest day I've ever tried to start it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts