Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of planning my Iron Butt for June. I want to build the route in Google maps and then have it available on my Android Google navigation system.
I can build it in Google maps and e-mail it to myself, open that e-mail on my Android, but not "send" it to my navigation system.
On the navigation system itself I can put in a point "A" and "B", but can't put in a "C" for taking an alternate route home. I also can't manipulate the routes that the nav system gives me to select from...such as on Google maps where you can drag and drop different points.

Ideas?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'm in the process of planning my Iron Butt for June. I want to build the route in Google maps and then have it available on my Android Google navigation system.
I can build it in Google maps and e-mail it to myself, open that e-mail on my Android, but not "send" it to my navigation system.
On the navigation system itself I can put in a point "A" and "B", but can't put in a "C" for taking an alternate route home. I also can't manipulate the routes that the nav system gives me to select from...such as on Google maps where you can drag and drop different points.

Ideas?

Thanks much.

After much frustration with my Nuvi 550 and google maps, I returned to loading way points however we did find this software (thank you HD) that one of my riding buds had decent results with. Maybe this software will help you, maybe not but I figured it was worth a shot.
http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp

On a side note, start an IBA thread for your ride and post a map so we can follow along. Always good to see another IBA rider gearing up. Gets the blood flowing!!! lol... Good luck

Tim

·
Registered
407 Posts
I always use way-points. Easier to make changes during the ride if needed.

I plan the gas stops, number them in order and add them to my GPS.

My longest IBA ride had 50 way-points. :crzy:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I agree...waypoints is the way to go...it takes a lot of unexpected detours out of riding. Many times you'll have a route planned and downloaded to your device...only to find out mid ride that either a road has been updated or closed. But that's just me...I have a buddy that swears by ROUTES...I just swear at them.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
After much frustration with my Nuvi 550 and google maps, I returned to loading way points however we did find this software (thank you HD) that one of my riding buds had decent results with. Maybe this software will help you, maybe not but I figured it was worth a shot.
http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp

On a side note, start an IBA thread for your ride and post a map so we can follow along. Always good to see another IBA rider gearing up. Gets the blood flowing!!! lol... Good luck

Tim
Have used it before but check your results before you leave. twice I found it was routing me way out of the way, and once through a old washout road that almost cost me and my buddy dearly in the mountains of NC. Was downloading to a Nuvi 1450

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
NavyCraig, if I understand the question correctly, you are doing the same thing that I am doing, using your Android phone GPS system on the bike. I too have the same trouble with planing routes it trips in Google maps.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NavyCraig, if I understand the question correctly, you are doing the same thing that I am doing, using your Android phone GPS system on the bike. I too have the same trouble with planing routes it trips in Google maps.
Exactly what I'm doing...and it works great as long as you stick with the route that Google Navigation picks out. Once you manipulate it on the computer and then load it up, all bets are off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts