Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50

Mobil 1™ V-Twin 20W-50 synthetic motorcycle oil is formulated to help offer outstanding protection in 4-cycle, V-Twin type engines, particularly those which are air cooled and tend to run hotter than other types of engines.

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 motorcycle oil will help provide excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission. It is also designed to help provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems.

I ask because I don't remember them having a 20w-50w, isn't this the weight that Victory uses?

Should be good to use: Optimized wet-clutch performance
  • Meets JASO MA.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm testing it right now and am happy with it so far. The best part is that it's available at WalMart and is about $6 per quart. I've ran 20W-50 in my bike since the 500 oil change and can't say anything bad about it. I should advise warming your bike up until the engine is warm to the touch in the winter (if you live in an area that freezes). My garage gets down to the low 50's and the bike starts slightly slower than in the summer. When I start the bike at work in the mid 20's to low 40's it starts much slower which is partially because of cold soak on the battery and partially from thickened oil. If the oil is thick enough to slow starting it's too thick to put a load on the engine until the engine is warm to touch.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you live in a colder part of the world and ride in cold weather and are not using a 5wt or at least a 10wt multi-viscosity oil, you may be doing damage to your engine every time you start it. It's not just about letting the engine warm up (which is good) it is also about lubrication when starting the engine when it is very cold. A 5wt-40wt such as T-6 is better fitted for this than a 20wt-50wt, especially in a Victory with it's air/oil cooled engine... a 50wt really isn't needed in a Victory because of the oil flow thru the cooler then thru the cylinders then into the oil pan. 50wt was really develop for Harley's because they operate at higher temperatures due to their lack of oil cooled cylinders. Even here in Florida a 40wt is all that's needed for a Victory... but run a 50wt in a Harley for sure.

·
12,984 Posts
Why would you even come here with out going to Mobil first to find out all the facts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I changed the oil at 500 miles with Mobil 1 V-Twin oil. I am almost to 2700 miles right now and I haven't noticed any issues.

The engine seems quieter to me than with the factory oil, probably because semi vs full OR break in oil vs changed oil. Not really sure.

All I know is Advance carries oil change specials on it, and if I can't get a Mobil 1 filter, then I go for a Wix filter available at Napa for $6.

My clutch does not slip, bike does not leak, engine does not overheat, and throttle hand does not let up.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Although I use Rotella T6 5W-40, in colder climes, I aim an electric heater at the lower part of the engine for about 1/2 hour prior to commencing a ride. That way the oil has gotten a bit warm for a safer start up. Its easier on the battery too. In winter, I keep an automatic charger hooked up to the battery to keep it from going into hibernation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ah, VisionJohnny if only we were all lucky enough to be gifted with your incredible insight and wisdom. What a wonderful world that would be.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have been using Rotella 5-40 for years. And just to see how it sounded in my xct I gave it a shot. At the time it was very hot and the bike shifted harshly and the roller rockers were even louder.

So I dumped that and tried 20-50 AMS OIL and I have to say the bike shifts much better and the roller rockers are much quieter.

BUT when the temperature drops I want Rotella T 5-40 or a 10-40 oil in the motor NOT 20-50
Remember 20-40 and 20-50 should be 20w oil at zero
The 50wt just protects better if the motor was to get REAL HOT....

The oil cooler does very little if there is no air flowing through it - like being stuck in traffic.......

Personaly if I am going to pay big bucks for oil it is going to be Full Synth

Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks, you're correct, I'd looked it up earlier but had memory fail, I'll probably go with Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 or Amsoil.
I just switched to the Mobil 1 10w40 4t. I don't think I will use anything else. I'm not sure what it had in it since I just bought it last month and it had whatever the previous owner put in it, but there is a night and day difference. The bike seems to love it. reduced engine noise and smoother overall operation. 200 miles into the change and no clutch issues at all

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Why would you even come here with out going to Mobil first to find out all the facts.
I was working from my smart phone from work and have been to the Mobil site previously.

As stated I didn't remember them having that particular weight oil, perhaps I missed where they stated it had been developed either way........Why don't you worry about something else.

Thanks to everyone else for the helpful and informative information.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I just switched to the Mobil 1 10w40 4t. I don't think I will use anything else. I'm not sure what it had in it since I just bought it last month and it had whatever the previous owner put in it, but there is a night and day difference. The bike seems to love it. reduced engine noise and smoother overall operation. 200 miles into the change and no clutch issues at all
keep us posted. thats what i ran for 9 seasons and 32000 miles
in my vtx 1300. no probs ever. with all i keep reading here im afraid
to try syn oil in case the clutch has probs. i always changed it every 3000 miles--irv

·
Registered
103 Posts
oil

Used it in my kawaski and am using it in my ictiry and have nothing but good to say about it. It helps out some the short comings of this bike.

·
Registered
372 Posts
to try syn oil in case the clutch has probs. i always changed it every 3000 miles--irv
I've been using Mobil 1 full syn in my Vic's for 7 years now and never a clutch issue. I don't take it to the drag strip but I don't baby it either.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you are using a High quality Synthetic oil, there is no reason to jump viscosity grades. The Vic is designed to run a 40 weight oil. Use of a higher viscosity oil will cause extra wear on cold start, a loss of HP, fuel mileage. Use of a 20W-50 will also cause higher oil temps.

Top 3 from The Best down... AMSOIL MCF, Mobil 1 Racing 4T and Motul 300V 10W-40. Pick one and ride happy knowing you you have a top quality oil that will give you optimum performance in all weather and riding conditions.

As for filters. I saw the M-1 mentioned. I don't care for it as it is the exact same filter as a K&N less the nut.

My choice for filters from the top down would be the AMSOIL EAOM-103, WIX 51358 (NAPA 1358) or a Purolator ML Series. NEVER use a Pure One on a powersports application.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
1500 miles and not one problem with the clutch

·
Registered
180 Posts
Slightly off but on topic

I've ran the Mobil 1 v-twin in my Buell for years in both the engine and primary, absolutely love that oil in that bike. I have heard of some with Buells that claim that an additive in the Mobil 1 oil eats the coating off of the stator causing a bit of a problem with the charging.
With that said, I haven't tried it in the xct (yet), due to the fear of clutch issues running a full synthetic.
With the price of oil now days and how often I change oil the Mobil 1 May never make it to the Vic with its 9-10 per quart price tag.
Currently running the castrol actevo semi-syn 20w50. Changes are done 2500 to 3k miles on all of my bikes because I hate dirty oil.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
608 Posts
Slightly off but on topic

I've ran the Mobil 1 v-twin in my Buell for years in both the engine and primary, absolutely love that oil in that bike. I have heard of some with Buells that claim that an additive in the Mobil 1 oil eats the coating off of the stator causing a bit of a problem with the charging.
With that said, I haven't tried it in the xct (yet), due to the fear of clutch issues running a full synthetic.
With the price of oil now days and how often I change oil the Mobil 1 May never make it to the Vic with its 9-10 per quart price tag.
Currently running the castrol actevo semi-syn 20w50. Changes are done 2500 to 3k miles on all of my bikes because I hate dirty oil.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I hate dirty oil too. It's no different than washing in dirty water.
Try Rotella 5-40 full synth.
I have it in my XCT.
Ran it in my Suzuki 1500 and my quad. I even have it in my lawn tractor ..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Site sponsor can hook you up with an AMSOIL change kit for about what you would pay for a Vic kit. How good would you like your oil be? .............................wac

1 - 20 of 26 Posts