Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 XR with just over 500 miles. When throttle is released it feels like a little play then you can feel and hear engagement. You can also feel it when you roll on the throttle at times. I don't know how else to explain it and just want to assure that it is normal.

Otherwise, I enjoy the bike and look forward to the break in service this week. cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
yes , normal . keep your rpm's up , say 2200 and up. you may be lugging it a bit , these engines like to rev.thumb up

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Just have the dealer check it out since you are that close to service. Otherwise look in your OM and there is a section on throttle play adjustment.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sounds like what you are describing may be the torque compensator in the transmission in which case it is normal and nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would say its just a little backlash from lugging , just keep the RPM's a little higher .thumb up

·
Registered
784 Posts
In the engine or drive train?

Answer is yes-------not so sure any more. I used to get some gear lash and yes it was a normal thing. Engine can hiccup a bit in roll on from low RPM's. Lugging a Vic isn't a good thing. HD guys do it to their bikes, but I feel the HD would rather be ramped up as well. It seems to become a more responsive beast.

The -not so sure part- I put a AFR+4 on mine recently and the gear lash is all but gone. I am (perhaps mistakenly) feeling the engine cuts a bit in many circumstances in the stock tune. So that would make for the undecided answer.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sounds like you're describing drivetrain lash to me. Vic primaries are gear-driven, so no chain to soak up lash. A too-tight (or even spec-adjusted) belt can add to the effect. Mine tends to do it too, worst is 5th gear because it's direct 1:1. I've tried running the belt a bit looser, but I can't reconcile the reduced lash against possible belt damage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I think it would be drive train lash and I will try to keep the RPM's up a little more. As long as it's normal, I can deal with it, I just wanted to make sure as I am still learning the bikes language. :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have a 2014 XR with just over 500 miles. When throttle is released it feels like a little play then you can feel and hear engagement. You can also feel it when you roll on the throttle at times. I don't know how else to explain it and just want to assure that it is normal.

Otherwise, I enjoy the bike and look forward to the break in service this week. cheers
Sorry John I thought you were explaining a throttle with too much end play. The drive train lash is as others have explained as normal when rpms are too low. No matter how hard you try you will experience it from time to time.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Yes, I think it would be drive train lash and I will try to keep the RPM's up a little more. As long as it's normal, I can deal with it, I just wanted to make sure as I am still learning the bikes language. :)
Don't ride 'er below 2500 RPM. You can't over-rev these engines John as there is an electronic rev limiter set to about 5400 RPM. When your bike left the assembly line, it was revved to WFO and the engine was brand spanking new. When in the twisties, I'm using from 3500 to 4500+ RPMs for accurate speed control and throttle steering. Lugging,especially on a low mileage engine, is not a judicious thing to do.:mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts