Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. I can't get it to replicate and it seems to be very sporadic in nature so bringing it in to the dealer won't do me any good.

I have a 2011 XR with just under 6000 miles. Purchased it last year new, never had this occur. All fluid levels are fine, oil changed at 5,000, etc.

What happens is I'll shift in to sixth gear and get a bit of a clunk a couple of seconds after followed by a second one about another five or six seconds later. Each time it's occurred (five instances or so in all), I just shifted in to fifth and then back up. No issue from there.

The first time it occurred, it was a nice evening...roughly 75F, had been running maybe 5-10 minutes and was going up hill. Was at a decent clip so shifted up and it happened. But two other times, I'd been riding at least two hours in 90F+ weather and on a level road. So, conditions don't seem to be the trigger.

Any thoughts? Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
No issue when shifting into 6th gear with my 2011 XC, Adam.

Hopefully, KevinX will read and chime in with his thoughts.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No issue when shifting into 6th gear with my 2011 XC, Adam.

Hopefully, KevinX will read and chime in with his thoughts.
Just an FYI, it's not when shifting in to sixth gear that's the issue. It's once I'm "in" sixth gear it occurs.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Never had that happen on my '11 XR. Is it just an audible clunk, or are there other symptoms as well?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I sporatically have similar issues with 6th gear as well. It only happens very rarely so I would never be able to reproduce it at a dealership. But every so often I'll shift into 6th and I'll get kind of jerking motion and clunking noise that seems like the bike is jumping between 5th and 6th gears. To stop it I usually just pull in on the clutch and pull up on the gear shift like I am trying to shift into a higher gear. That always stops it from happening for me.

I have a theory that maybe the dogs on 6th gear are made in such a way that if you don't get 100% full engagement then you can get some popping in and out of gear or some weird noises associated with 6th gear. Obviously I can't prove that but that is what it seems like is happening to me.

I have 10,000 miles on the bike and it has happened to me less than 10 times. And it seems like it happened more often in the first 6000 miles because I can't remember the last time it happened. I know it's something that I would never be able to take to a service department and replicate so I haven't even inquired about getting it fixed. And it doesn't happen often enough for me to really care all that much about it. But it would be interesting to know if Kevinx knew anything about it.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
To be a Buttinski here, I'll toss these out to ya....
+ Are you shifting at 3500 rpm +?
+ Do you preload the shifter?
+ Is the clutch cable adjustment correct?
Anything else is more than I know and hopefully KevinX is eavesdropping and will salve our inquiring minds.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never had that happen on my '11 XR. Is it just an audible clunk, or are there other symptoms as well?
Read Rajder's reply...that's pretty much exactly the feeling. One of the times, I do recall not feeling like I really got a full engagement in to sixth...so wondering that could be it.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
As RICZ mentioned, I would check the clutch cable to make sure it's adjusted correctly before pursuing this any further.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i have had it happen a few times taking off in first gear
too. like something was engaging and then did.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Is it happening with cruise on, with cruise off or both? If it's just with cruise on it's probably struggling because you're going up hill. If it's with cruise off it may be gear lash.

2011 and newer transmisions were redesigned and have considerably less gear lash then older transmissions but with low RPM combined with low load you may be feeling the little bit of lash that's left.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can't speak for Adam but I can try to answer some of the questions with my experiences.

My clutch cable is adjusted properly. It was the first thing that I checked.

I honestly can't say if I was shifting at 3500 rpm or not because it happens so infrequently I'm not paying attention to all of the variables when it does happen. It always catches me by surprise so I'm usually not paying attention when it does happen. I can assuming that I wasn't shifting at 3500rpm though because I usually shift somewhere around 3000-3200 rpm but it varies with each situation.

I originally thought that I was shifting like a girl but the last couple of times that it happened to me I am prettty sure that I was preloading the shifter and giving it a good firm shift.

It does not happen with the cruise on. It only happens directly after you shift from 5th to 6th. As soon as I release the clutch the noise and jerking motion starts. I am 95% sure that the bike isn't getting fully engaged in 6th gear and that is what is causing the issue. If I just pull in on the clutch and pull up on the shift lever again the issue always goes away. It has never happened while in cruise or after the bike was cruising down the road in 6th gear. It only happens when I shift from 5th to 6th. And it is definitely not a gear lash issue or a issue with the bike struggling to go up hill. It is a very pronounced clunking noise, rpm jumping up and down, and bike surging problem. It is definitely not something that would be mistaken for a normal noise or occurance.

Some of you guys who have been riding for several years probably had a motorcycle that would jump out of 2nd gear and back into neutral if you didn't shift it firmly. That is the best way that I can describe this situation except that it is happening in 6th gear and instead of jumping back into neutral it is jumping back into 5th. Interestingly enough, I just read a motorcycle magazine comparison of the CCT and the magazine mentioned that the bike popped out of 2nd gear and back into neutral a couple of times for them. Like I said, I'm 95% sure it's just not getting fully engaged into 6th gear after I shift and it is causing a jumping motion between 5th and 6th gears. But I can't prove it because it hasn't happened to me in months and when it does happen I'm never paying attention to what I am specifically doing and I can't re-create the situation.

It isn't that big of a deal to me because it happens so infrequently but hopefully KevinX will see this thread and offer some insight.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be a Buttinski here, I'll toss these out to ya....
+ Are you shifting at 3500 rpm +?
+ Do you preload the shifter?
+ Is the clutch cable adjustment correct?
Anything else is more than I know and hopefully KevinX is eavesdropping and will salve our inquiring minds.
1) Been at both. I know the first time, I was only at about 3,000 RPMs. But I know at least a couple of other times, I was at or above 3500
2) Not sure what you define as pre-loading the shifter. I pull in the clutch, let off the throttle and shift. Roll on the throttle and let off the clutch. Pretty much SOP.
3) I would assume as much. I only have 6K on it and the dealer did the full check up at the break in and everything was fine.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it happening with cruise on, with cruise off or both? If it's just with cruise on it's probably struggling because you're going up hill. If it's with cruise off it may be gear lash.

2011 and newer transmisions were redesigned and have considerably less gear lash then older transmissions but with low RPM combined with low load you may be feeling the little bit of lash that's left.
No cruise.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rajder...that's pretty much nuts on to what I'm getting. At least we have something tracking it in the event it does become an issue. I don't use sixth gear very often so when I do shift in to it, I'm going to start being more alert to the circumstances. I do distinctly recall not feeling like I had a super solid shift in to sixth...but that's just once. Now, that doesn't mean that wasn't a common factor...just that I only noticed it once.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
1) Been at both. I know the first time, I was only at about 3,000 RPMs. But I know at least a couple of other times, I was at or above 3500
2) Not sure what you define as pre-loading the shifter. I pull in the clutch, let off the throttle and shift. Roll on the throttle and let off the clutch. Pretty much SOP.
3) I would assume as much. I only have 6K on it and the dealer did the full check up at the break in and everything was fine.
Preloading is pressuring gently against the shift lever in anticipation of the next shift. As you pull the clutch lever in, the tranny goes into the next gear a lot smoother and quieter.

You should always have some free play in the clutch lever. See the manual for the proper adjustment - its easy to do. A good policy is to double check others' work. I do repair work myself and much of it is undoing what another "professional" screwed up and charged the customer to do it. A friend just fried his clutch cuz he never checked that in 18,000 miles. A costly repair that could have been prevented for free.:(

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Preloading is pressuring gently against the shift lever in anticipation of the next shift. As you pull the clutch lever in, the tranny goes into the next gear a lot smoother and quieter.

You should always have some free play in the clutch lever. See the manual for the proper adjustment - its easy to do. A good policy is to double check others' work. I do repair work myself and much of it is undoing what another "professional" screwed up and charged the customer to do it. A friend just fried his clutch cuz he never checked that in 18,000 miles. A costly repair that could have been prevented for free.:(
Ah. I'd say I do that, kind of subconsciously because I can't stand the noisy shift sound. lol

I'll double check the clutch lever but it should be fine. I did a quick general check after placing the lever back on the bars (removed it last weekend to do a hidden garage opener using my signal switch). But didn't do anything specific...more of a general "feel".

·
13,003 Posts
Ah. I'd say I do that, kind of subconsciously because I can't stand the noisy shift sound. lol

I'll double check the clutch lever but it should be fine. I did a quick general check after placing the lever back on the bars (removed it last weekend to do a hidden garage opener using my signal switch). But didn't do anything specific...more of a general "feel".
Check the length of your shift linkage. It might be to long there for at time it will not make it into 6th

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Check the length of your shift linkage. It might be to long there for at time it will not make it into 6th
That reminded me of another adjustment I made recently that did away with missed shifts. I lowered the shift lever so that when my foot is under it, it takes up some of the free play. Now I don't have to raise my toe as high as I used to. :D

·
13,003 Posts
That reminded me of another adjustment I made recently that did away with missed shifts. I lowered the shift lever so that when my foot is under it, it takes up some of the free play. Now I don't have to raise my toe as high as I used to. :D
thumb up thumb up thumb up

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a customer who would occasionally miss 2nd under hard shifts and occasionally get a "false neutral" with lazy shifts in 5th and 6th.

I made a shift kit that helped address the problems on his bike. (standard shift lever setup).

Here's an upgraded shifting parts kit for the 03 and later (at least till 2013).
Includes:
New Shift Detent Arm - with a low friction microbearing instead of a riveted bushing. Doesn't wear out.
New Shift Spring - slightly more strength for better shifting.

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodVictory.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts