Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2010 Vegas 8-ball. I've had it for a couple years now, but it has always given me a terrible pain in my tail bone. Usually after about an hours riding, it gets very painful.

I bought an air cushion, which has made it slightly better. The trouble is, it still gets sore after a while and the thing looks ****.

Anybody else had this issue? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Same with me. The Vegas seat isn't very comfortable. I installed a set of hammer V bars which give a slight lean forward which takes the weight of my @rse bone a bit. Still not a long distance tourer though.
Best bet would be to change out the seat or get the stock one re-worked.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Try getting the seat recovered- makes a hell of a difference, it's tailored and shaped to suit your butt, and in the end it's cheaper than buying a new aftermarket seat.

I used to get a dead left leg after an hour and followed by a sore butt- not now, ever!

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
I bought the Vegas touring seat and now it's comfortable for hours.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
I actually put my Vegas on the market cos of my sore back.
was gonna upgrade to a CrossRoads cos of its better seating and longer suspension travel.
But after buying an Airhawk R, a Grasshopper backrest, and a Progressive rear shock Ive covered 20,000 kms pain free.
Still wouldnt mind a Crossroads down the line a bit if I got a keen buyer for my Vegas.
Progressive soaks up all but the harshest bumps and bike tracks and holds a line real nice as well:)

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2010 Vegas 8-ball. I've had it for a couple years now, but it has always given me a terrible pain in my tail bone. Usually after about an hours riding, it gets very painful.

I bought an air cushion, which has made it slightly better. The trouble is, it still gets sore after a while and the thing looks ****.

Anybody else had this issue? Any suggestions?
In addition to what others have suggested, have you ever tried bicycle shorts under your jeans?

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
ButtonIt, you live in a huge city and surely there are saddle customizers there. They will tailor a seat to fit your butt like big hand cupping it. You will be able to have then install heat if you desire and you can choose the cover material and color. I have done that on three bikes with great satisfaction.
BTW, if you (or anybody reading this) are sitting on your wallet, take the damn thing out of your back pocket and never put it there again. Guy's wallets are the source of more back and leg problems than anything else. I put my wallet and phone in my jacket. That way, if I go down, get injured and separated from the bike, they are on me and not way back there in the bike.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I went with a Mustang seat but Corbin is right there in quality. In addition, if it's not just your tailbone but your butt... <~ hehe.... Try putting talcum powder (I use monkey butt powder) on your duff.

The friction from a long ride along with sweat can really irritate things down there. After the Mustang and talc, I can put 1,600 miles on in a weekend and the only thing sore is my shoulders. Hoping I fixed that with my new bars and grips

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agreed... I replaced the stock seat on my Gunner (which was designed by the devil himself, or so says my tailbone) with a Corbin. It was expensive and the custom build took about a month, but I've never had a moment's regret. They know what they're doing.

I also use anti-monkey butt powder btw. thumb up

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went with the corbin touring seat, and other than the price I have never regretted buying it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
With replacement seats off of the shelf you may get a better fit however your choice is still limited to those few options. They still come in some standard builds but we all have different shapes and weights to contend with. And some can be pricey without much benefit. In my own case, the stock seat on my last bike was OK for about 2 hours and I put a Mustang seat on that I could go all day on. I liked it so much it was one of the first mods I did to the Vic. Unfortunately this one doesn't work as well as the last one.

Your best bet is to find a local qualified upholsterer who is knowledgeable and experienced with the process of customizing motorcycle seats. Not all doing the work are competent so look for one and get reviews on their products. Get some input from your local biking community and you may find one. My personal choice if I go ahead with it is about 6 hours away and he measures you and modifies the seat the same day so I'd have to set that up and make it an overnight trip.

Alternatively, upholstery work isn't all that tough on simple projects. We regularly did our own kitchen chairs at home and they turned out quite well. You could do some of the work yourself in getting it comfortable then take it to an upholsterer for the finishing work. This product may or may not be a good option to use. I'm just using the video to show how easy it can be if you take your time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyv3c2AR7U

1 - 14 of 14 Posts