Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right after New Years I made a list of things I need to get done around the property. Things like removing some bushes and shrubs and a clothes line. That I have to mow around and trim around in the summer. The list is up to 11 items and I have completed 4. It was hell getting the clothes line post out of the ground that I put in there 25 years ago. I put them 3 ft. in the ground with 2, 80lb sacks of concrete on each one. I watered around each one very well so I though I could pull the post out with my truck. Well that wasn't going to work I soon found out. So I took a farm jack and jacked the post up about a foot and a half and left the jack on them. Hooked a chain up and yanked them out and pulled them to the back of the barn. Now I'll cut the metal post up and figure out what to do with 2, 160lb concrete mushrooms. I'm trying to make the place as easy as I can to maintain, I ain't getting any younger and it is getting harder every year that goes by. I removed 2 chicken coops and a live stock pen last year. Filled a large construction dumpster up doing that and it kicked my butt. I removed 240 ft. of barbed wire and field fence, fence. The place looks much, much better and a lot easier to mow. I've cut way down on the weed eating and weed spraying because I can just mow those areas now. Now I know y'all could care less about all this. But it's cold this morning and I am bored so I'm just trying to entertain myself until it warms up. LOL:rolleyes::sneaky:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Right after New Years I made a list of things I need to get done around the property. Things like removing some bushes and shrubs and a clothes line. That I have to mow around and trim around in the summer. The list is up to 11 items and I have completed 4. It was hell getting the clothes line post out of the ground that I put in there 25 years ago. I put them 3 ft. in the ground with 2, 80lb sacks of concrete on each one. I water around each one very well so I though I could pull the post out with my truck. Well that wasn't going to work I soon found out. So I took a farm jack and jacked the post up about a foot and a half and left the jack on them. Hooked a chain up and yanked them out and pulled them to the back of the barn. Now I'll cut the metal post up and figure out what to do with 2, 160lb concrete mushrooms. I'm trying to make the place as easy as I can to maintain, I ain't getting any younger and it is getting harder every year that goes by. I removed 2 chicken coops and a live stock pen last year. Filled a large construction dumpster up doing that and it kicked my butt. I removed 240 ft. off barbed wire and field fence, fence. The place looks much, much better and a lot easier to mow. I've cut way down on the weed eating and weed spraying because I can just mow those areas now. Now I know y'all could care less about all this. But it's cold this morning and I am bored so I'm just trying to entertain myself until I warms up. LOL:rolleyes::sneaky:
NAB, I understand what you are saying. My 11 acres are way to much for me now, so my wife and I put the place up for sale and will move into town into a place with a very small yard. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NAB, I understand what you are saying. My 11 acres are way to much for me now, so my wife and I put the place up for sale and will move into town into a place with a very small yard. Good luck.
I've talked to my wife about doing that. Sooner or later we will have to.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'd love 11 acres but I'd plant a lot of trees.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd love 11 acres but I'd plant a lot of trees.
No problem here, I had to log some of the area just to build the house 20 years ago. Now all the small trees are grown and are real big now, just to much to care for now.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where I live there isn't many trees. You have to plant them out here and water often many years. We went through a bad drought a few years back. There were years I didn't get over 5 inches of rain a years. I was doing good to keep my yard alive. In that time we had some kind of bore come through and damaged my trees bad. By the time I realized the infestation and treated my trees the damage was done. There was trees that died for miles around me. The bore didn't hurt evergreen type trees like pine trees. But they damaged or killed about every thing else. I have a big cedar elm that didn't get hurt, pecan trees got hit pretty bad. The bore killed all the willow trees for miles. I wished I would have caught it earlier. But in those days I was doing a lot of riding and not giving the attention to my place I should have been.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Great thing about the south, always warm days in the winter to get the bike out. If it is over 35 degrees and I am off work then I will probably be on my XR!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts