Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not asking which oil is better for my engine. My 2011 xc has only 8000 miles on it. I've noticed the 2nd gear slipping out or sometimes it's hard to put in gear. I know this is an inherited problem with our transmissions. My question is would amsoil or other oil, be better for the transmission? Would it fix the problem? But still be good for the engine? I've only ever used victory oil. Thanks

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
When I got my bike, the PO said that it had Shell Rotella oil. At the next oil change, I used the Vic oil change kit. Then I started noticing it becoming harder to shift down out of 3rd into second. It is the only gear that does it. I also find that it passes neutral a LOT when trying to put it in neutral. I don't know what the best oil to use is, but it definitely acted better with the Shell in it.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I'm not asking which oil is better for my engine. My 2011 xc has only 8000 miles on it. I've noticed the 2nd gear slipping out or sometimes it's hard to put in gear. I know this is an inherited problem with our transmissions. My question is would amsoil or other oil, be better for the transmission? Would it fix the problem? But still be good for the engine? I've only ever used victory oil. Thanks
My Vegas had the same problem when I bought it with 14,000 kms on it.
After advice from forum members in the know, I adjusted my shifter closer to my boot, as well as ensuring my clutch cable is always kept lubed and in adjustment.
The mechanicals fine tuned, I then fine tuned my shifting style with a light preload of the shifter, and a good solid boot into the next gear.
Works every time!
(except when I been riding all day and near home, and I get a bit lazy on the shift)
Oh and I stopped using Vic oil and changed to an Aussie full synthetic, ...it was revised shifting technique that actually cured the problem though.
Try it....it works.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Is your clutch cable adjusted properly?
Are you preloading the shifter?
Do you shift at 3,000 RPMs or higher, no lower?
Have you tried other oils? My fave (and many others here) is Rotella T-6.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
No, Rotella T-6 is 5W-40, while Vic oil is 20-40. I like the 5W part for easier cold engine start-ups.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Is your clutch cable adjusted properly?
Are you preloading the shifter?
Do you shift at 3,000 RPMs or higher, no lower?
Have you tried other oils? My fave (and many others here) is Rotella T-6.
Completely agree with ajustment and shifting

What oil are you using? Maybe just change it for Vic oil or second choice T6 ???

I have found through oil analysis that vic oil does not last as per manual stated Miles / Km in hot climate ... I do not know for cold climate ..

I did oil analysis at intervals of 3000 Km and did not reach the recommended 8000 Km so i changed it 6500 Km, oil analysis is cheap and easy to do.

Just something to think about ?

·
12,983 Posts
you read your owners book and it will tell you clutch spec. You can only adjust your clutch when its over night cold.
NEVER when its warm or hot.

Now you half to have a firm foot when you put it in gear. Go all the way up or down don't be lazy about it

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Got a new pair of motorcycle boots last week...
Got a few neutrals too!
Adjusted my shifter closer to the new boot and bingo!
Nice slick shifts!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts