Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
This makes me want to hang further to the right of the road. However, there could be obstacles on the edge that could cause a problem.

Going around a corner, you never know! I'm thinking if you are doing a 2 lane, you have to expect the unexpected and really watch your speed. On the straights, speed up but on curves and hills, take it easy!

There could be road kill, dead tree branches, potholes, a pretty girlie, or *gasp* another motorcycle. :D

·
Registered
12,298 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The perp's bike appears to be a Triumph Bonnie. I wish it and its rider an early engine failure. Yesterday, a local Sheriff's moto deputy (who I know) got severly injured by a SUV driven by an 18 year old (with 3 other teens in the car) in a similar situation. SUV was solidly in the rider's lane.
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/72124af5fff20475a2b6a4fed33e4d0277011219/c=291-118-1024-669&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/05/05/KGW/KGW/635664473183104217-clackamas-motorcycle-cop-hurt.jpg
I always gave a stern warning to my daughter when I knew she would be toting a bunch of teenieboppers. A car load of them is worse than a car load of drunks... I think! :eek:
She is 23 now.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I always gave a stern warning to my daughter when I knew she would be toting a bunch of teenieboppers. A car load of them is worse than a car load of drunks... I think! :eek:
She is 23 now.
Even more so now with cell phones!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ricz- similarly, The Chief of Police in Corpus Christi (and former Asst. Chief in Dallas) Floyd Simpson was killed in a motorcycle accident this past Sunday, in Aransas Pass, TX. A young teen driver came into his lane (2 lane Hwy). The Chief laid down his HD to avoid the truck, his helmet came off and his head struck the ground causing his death. It is a huge loss. He was a good man with a great heart, leaves behind a wife and 4 kids.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Truly a sad thing Mike. I'm curious...what kind of a helmet was he wearing that comes off? A long time ago in Oregon, there were motor cops losing their helmets and getting head injuries or death in impact crashes. Half helmets were banned and now more cops survive. The cop I posted about wears a modular, as do most all motor cops here in Oregon. Please don't tell me he wore a half helmet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ricz- He was off duty wearing a half shell. My only guess as to how it came off is that it wasn't properly strapped.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Ricz- He was off duty wearing a half shell. My only guess as to how it came off is that it wasn't properly strapped.
Even properly strapped on, a half helmet can get removed in an impact.
I was going to supply a link that would demonstrate how that's done, but my visiting doctor cousin sez, "It's Darwinian." Nuff sed. thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Yup, everyone that works in the ER calls us motorcyclists, donors.
Yeah, I've heard the word Donor-cycle many times and my operators license has the Organ Donor symbol on it. There was a M/C rider killed last Saturday 1.5 miles from my house. The 27 yo driver that turned left in front of him had two prior DUI's, according to one of the retired CSP officers that works the Security detail at my job.

I've only worn my FF helmet so far this riding season and I'll probably be in the market for a Modular helmet in the near future.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have 3 helmets, but I pretty much stick with the Modular with the blue-tooth headset as it allows me to hear the radio clearly on the HWY/

·
Registered
569 Posts
Several years ago I worked a wreck where a guy on a superbike (Hayabusa) crashed in the mix-master. His full face helmet was dislodged because of the high speed. Unfortunately for the rider his head was still in it, that scene was pretty horrific.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts