Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We at J&S are trying to gather information from our customers and potential customers regarding hydraulic bottle jacks. Currently we utilize a bottle that is produced over seas and have been unable to find an American made bottle. Recently we have run across an American made bottle that we are debating going to but the catch is it would increase the cost of the lift by between $60 and $75. We are reaching out for feedback whether you would buy the lift with an American made bottle if the cost of the lift was increased to around $470? Please let us know your thoughts and opinions because our customers opinions are what will make the decision!!

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
While I know you are in business to make some sort of profit and want to offer the public the best product you can, Is there no wiggle room in the amount of profit to offset some portion of the better bottle jack - say for instance J&S assumes half the cost and the consumer ponies up for the other half? Just a thought.....

·
13,318 Posts
Now your getting the customer to think a few bucks more and he could have a air lift

·
Super Moderator
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I know you are in business to make some sort of profit and want to offer the public the best product you can, Is there no wiggle room in the amount of profit to offset some portion of the better bottle jack - say for instance J&S assumes half the cost and the consumer ponies up for the other half? Just a thought.....
Thank you for the suggestion unfortunately we already make a minimal profit off of the lifts so splitting that cost could potentially put us out of business after time. We do appreciate your taking the time to make a suggestion!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is the quality of the American made bottle jack significantly better then the foreign made one, or are they similar in quality? Will you be offering a lifetime warranty on the bottle jack now that it is American made? If not, in my opinion, keep the foreign made jack and keep your prices as competitive as possible. I believe that your main competition even uses a foreign made jack.
On the other hand perhaps you can offer both and leave it up to the customer to choose if they think it's worth the price premium.
Saw your booth at Americade this year and was impressed. I hope it was successful for your team. A jack was on my list this year for purchase at Americade but it was not at the top of the list as I needed other items. My budget was spent, so the jack will be purchased at Americade next year as it has moved up the list. Hope this helps and look forward to seeing you next year.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
We at J&S are trying to gather information from our customers and potential customers regarding hydraulic bottle jacks. Currently we utilize a bottle that is produced over seas and have been unable to find an American made bottle. Recently we have run across an American made bottle that we are debating going to but the catch is it would increase the cost of the lift by between $60 and $75. We are reaching out for feedback whether you would buy the lift with an American made bottle if the cost of the lift was increased to around $470? Please let us know your thoughts and opinions because our customers opinions are what will make the decision!!
Could the jack be made to accept either bottle jack?
The American made one could be offered as an upgrade for those willing to spend for it and those who would be priced out at that point could buy your jack with the import and upgrade later if they felt that it was a benefit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Offering jack options makes sense. Many premium motorcycle owners don't have to care about price and would IMO prefer the quality option.

If you only offered the US jack, people who web search by price would exclude your jack without thinking and you'd lose sales.

A base allowing jack brand swaps would be a good CYA move since that US jack company could outsource tomorrow.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Because the price of your lift is substantially greater than that of most of your competition, adding another 70 dollars to the product price would be a tough sell..

I agree with the others.. If you do charge 70 dollars more as an option and throw-in a lifetime, or extended warranty on the bottle, you might have an easier go of it..

Love your jack by the way. I spent that much money on a jack as I wanted the best and figured it would pay for itself over a lifetime.. When I think about that investment (notice I said investment) ..First thing that comes to mind is the price of the thing, then, how good it is..

Glad I own one though. thumb up

·
Super Moderator
6,404 Posts
I would think that having the ability or option on the jack used would increase costs due to having to make that choice available, different installation procedures, etc...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would think that having the ability or option on the jack used would increase costs due to having to make that choice available, different installation procedures, etc...
Depends if manufacturing is done in-house.. If it is, then it costs money for the initial setup, then it's pretty-much of a muchness; unless a new bottle calls for radical design shifts to accept a larger or smaller bottle, which increases labor and materials costs.

Depending on how many units are expected to sell will increase the price on those units to recover those costs.. usually..

If manufacturing is contracted out, then there would be costs for setup and most likely higher costs would be applied to fabrication of units depending on labor and materials, but also what numbers they are being ordered in.

Offering an option could cut production numbers of each design in half.. So, then, outside of setup costs you'll usually pay premium for the lower amounts of units ordered..

Either way - best case.. Yup, it takes money to make any adjustments in manufacturing (.)

I think that if a U.S. made bottle was sold to the customer as more than just the bottle, a better warranty (for example), that price increase would go over better..

Realistically, though... :( ..There's a reason WalMart is the biggest retail operation in the world.. Everybody wants to buy patriotically.. They WANT to do it.. But money is always gonna be an issue with most people - whether they'll say so publicly or not.. So a 17% increase in an already expensive unit? Hmmm.. Unless it's an option.. It's a gamble..

Anyway.. Best of luck to you guys.. You make a great product..

·
Super Moderator
6,404 Posts
Exactly. Everyone whines that nothing is made in USA anymore. In the same breath, everyone whines that items made in the USA are more expensive. If you take 2 items of similar quality, put them side-by-side, and offer them for sale, the vast majority of folks will buy the cheaper one rather than the higher-priced one regardless if it's made locally.

People are way more interested in saving a few bucks as opposed to buying a quality unit because the cheaper one will do "just fine"...

·
13,318 Posts
This is no different then a oil thread. Yes you want american made but is it worth it. Is a bottle jack going to make that much difference when 80% of our buying is from foreign countries.
J&S is a good if not a great jack but will the bottle jack make a difference? I don't think so.
Instead of dragging this thread out for a month J&S should of done a poll

·
Super Moderator
6,404 Posts
It's a little different than an oil thread...

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is no different then a oil thread. Yes you want american made but is it worth it. Is a bottle jack going to make that much difference when 80% of our buying is from foreign countries.
J&S is a good if not a great jack but will the bottle jack make a difference? I don't think so.
Instead of dragging this thread out for a month J&S should of done a poll
Have to admit, and don't kick my teeth in for saying so, but it was quality over price or pedigree for me.. After doing a lot of research It's the only lift I felt comfortable hoisting my 20k bike up with..

A poll may not be a bad idea.. Maybe that should be the question.. "Why did you buy the jack." ..see how many people tick "competitive price", Quality of construction" or "Made in the U.S.A."

Having said that.. who pays $4-500.00 for a lift?

It isn't those who putt-putt around on their $400.00 thrasher which they park by laying it down on it's side.. It's the people who want the best, can afford the best, and those paranoid about dropping a 20k bike off a cheap $100.00 lift and just see it as a sound investment..

How many of those are out there? How many more will you be able to reach to offset negative sales impact by higher pricing?

Would I have paid $70.00 more for a lift that does the same thing as one cheaper by that amount..

Would you.. Honestly..

Me? ..Honestly, No.. I wouldn't..

Saying that, I just donated 50 bucks to a guy asking him to help pay for his cat's operation, on another forum.. So I'm not cheap.. Just Gotta give me a better reason to spend $70.00 more for the same something though.. "better quality" ..that might do it.

My personal reasons are all I got.. I would be guessing at the rest..

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Didn't read the whole thread but I would pay the extra if the US jack was rebuildable and the company promised to offer a reasonably priced rebuild kit for it for say 10yrs. The kit only needs the be the soft parts.
The packings and seals for the cylinder piston, pump and valve would be huge. The kit should include at least a exploded drawing or better a Youtube video on how to get it done. It would follow that a person who works on their own bike might also undertake a simple bottle jack rebuild. Even if they didn't, that it could be rebuilt rather than just tossed would infer quality that their competitors lack. That would justify spending the extra money in my mind.
That is my thoughts.

As I said I didn't read the whole thread and if what I said is irrelevant to the conversation I apologize in advance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts