Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received and assemble J&S Jack yesterday.

Where do you place arms under bike?

I have spacers on rear arm, placing rear arm along back edge of engine.

Front arm under floorboard attachment points, arm is approximately one inch in front of kickstand hinge point. Left front corner contacts lift front arm. Right front corner DOES NOT contact front arm. Advice needed please.

Bike feels secure on jack, much better than my buddies Sears lift, but I want both front corners on lift arm.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Trip...See another jack thread for pics and description of the adapter I made for lifting Cross bikes. If your XCT and my XR are the same underneath, here's how I position my lift: I slide it under from the right side, at about a 15 - 20 degree angle - back end of the lift angled toward the rear of the bike. The front arm touches the inside of the side stand mount and the rear arm is sufficiently under my adapter. Once you have your lift in its best position, mark the arms with masking tape, so the job will be a lot easier and faster the next times you go to use it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ricz, i've seen your pic several times over the past few months and think it is nice. I'm hoping I can use the J&S lift with both rubber spacers without making a wood spacer. Your description for how you position the lift was excellent. Will try that position later tonight.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raised it fully and front right corner made contact with rail. With that said, it had a slight favor towards left rear, which is where Ricz block slim would come in handy. With jack under bike, front right wheel of lift (nearest foot peddle) was off the ground by 1/8" inch. I did have the down locks in place and bottle pressure received a bit. Bike seems steady on lift when lifted fully. Lift barely flexes due to wheel off ground at front right corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few more:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Not sure of by who but isnt there an engine guard (plate) available for this bike. If so would that eliminate this problem with the jack? Ablbeit pricey I'm sure.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RICZ, need to verify dimensions

Skid plate is too expensive for me right now. Just printed out Ricz adapter pictures and his dimensions.

RICZ, need to verify:
1" X 4", 3" long

Cut hole in center using 1" or 1 1/4" hole saw.
Cut board in half lenghtwise to have a 1" X 2" by 3" long piece; hole will be a little over 1" wide acros top.
Use dremel to increase hole depth until cutout is 1" from bottom of adapter?
Does this sound close enough?

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Trip, add to that 2"high. The really important dimension is the 1" between the bottom of the round cut out and the bottom of the adapter. So the dim's are: 3" long X 2" high X 1" thick, with a round cut out 1" across. In other words, you would use a 1" hole saw.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clear, will make one tomorrow or Sunday morning. Want the bike a little more level before changing rear tire. Have 10,006 miles when I parked bike tonight. Will but another 250 miles on it tomorrow, tire is about shot. I'm sure I'll have to replace it Sunday.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
I usually get 17,00 to 22,000 out of a rear tire, but my XR is my first cruiser and I don't know what to expect. 10K is pretty good from what I've been hearing and reading. You did good.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Trip, if you adjust the rear spacers just a little it will fix it. See the attached pic. I also use a couple of washers under the spacer on the left. The key is to start it about mid way of the oil filter. No wheel off the ground on the jack and all four corners are solid. In your pics you are a bit too far forward as well. The rear lift arm lines up squarely under the bracket where the rear floorboards attach. So the rear lift arm is as far back on the engine as possible. Give me a call and I'll walk you through it if needed. You will absolutely love the jack. I've had mine for 5 years. 214.649.7250. Bennie.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Trip___ I assumed the plate woudl be pricey but Im still curious if a person mounts the Engine guard or skid plate (what ever its called) does this eliminate the jacking issue? I'm not entirely sure as I'm sure it takes up some of the ground clearance.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
what is the width of the upper arms on your jacks? i mean
how far apart are they? from edge to edge my larin is 13-1/4".
the length on the uprights is 11-3/4". the j&s is probably
longer.--irv

this is a lot of good info. thanks guys!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Success

Followed basshawk84's instructions, and was able to get my bike securily lifted. It had a very slight cant to left, but it was because I didn't get the aft right rubber shim correct, you'll see in the pic it caught part of aft right chrome support from exhaust attachment.

I lifted it as high as it would go and engaged safety bars. Bike was solid on lift. Very happy with it, and it will be used tomorrow so I can replace my back tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed a skid plate from:

--> http://www.hmd520.com/

and it's a solid (~16 pounds) piece of metal and is nicely finished.

Yes, it's a bit spendy, but it's a one-time deal and provides a solid, stable platform.

I use the Harbor Freight aluminum jack.

Note: I have no connection with Heavy Metal Designz, other than buying their (Mike's) skid plate.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I've been wanting one of those skid plates for a long time but have held off due to their price. I'm sure it's worth it. Just haven't had it move up the priority list enough to warrant the expenditure.

Looks like a nice lift Ken. My 'ole aluminum HF model just keeps plugging away too. Not as good as some but the lightness and ease of use makes up for its shortcomings I think. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Changed rear tire today, had 10,336 miles on it. This jack is an excellent product and works well. Thanks to those who have been providing advice, and I enjoyed a talk with basshawk84 last night to verify to few details.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
BlueNess,, thats just the info I needed. My craftsman handled my wing , suzuki and HD just fine, Just couldn't get it to work with the XCT. It seems with the plate that problem is eliminated. The only question left is how much clearance is lost due to the plate (considering the room needed to slide jack under the plate)

·
Registered
10 Posts
joseph,

The HMD skid plate fits very closely to the bottom of the engine.

Not sure about the configuration of your Craftsman jack, but the lower edge (kickstand side) of the HMD skid plate has ~5-1/4" clearance to the ground. The higher, right side clearance is ~7".

Placing the kickstand on a piece of wood 2"X4" raises the left side a bit, providing more clearance, and also makes the bike almost level before using a jack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts