Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here the deal. I am 6'5"so I am not lowering my bike but jacking it is a real experience. I am tired of the XC teetering on the jack. I have a VTX stand that works well with my other bike and I would like to be able to use it on my XC. I have looked at the skid plates and although a little over priced (what bike accessory isn't) it looks to be a good option. So the one from hmd520.com is made from steel and the one from Witchdoctor is aluminum. Im not sure I trust the formed aluminum with the weight of the bike on a jack for the long haul but weight is a factor. Anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just a little FYI... yes steel is stronger..and heavier. but thats what you want with a skid plate. Aluminum does not like to be bent, it will crack and fatigue in the area where it is bent and be a weak spot. Heating aluminum and bending it will make it extremely soft and allow it to become a weak spot for bending and breaking as well.

mike

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Ok here the deal. I am 6'5"so I am not lowering my bike but jacking it is a real experience. I am tired of the XC teetering on the jack. I have a VTX stand that works well with my other bike and I would like to be able to use it on my XC. I have looked at the skid plates and although a little over priced (what bike accessory isn't) it looks to be a good option. So the one from hmd520.com is made from steel and the one from Witchdoctor is aluminum. Im not sure I trust the formed aluminum with the weight of the bike on a jack for the long haul but weight is a factor. Anyone have experience with these?
If you really want a skid plate, go for it, but here's what I do. The block in the photos is 1" thick X 3" long. The half circle is 1" in diameter and is 1" from the bottom of the block. I rubber band it to the round crossbar at the bottom of the left passenger peg support, to hold it in place while I'm raising the lift to meet the bike.
The lift is rolled in from the right side at about a 20 degree angle with the handle angled toward the rear of the bike. The front lift arm is stopped by the sidestand mount and I make certain the rear arm is under the block, then I raise the bike up. The bike is so solid of the lift that I don't need to tie it down. I have even done a two wheel tire change with no concerns.

Attachments

·
13,002 Posts
I must be turned around. The blocks are for the back of the bike?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you really want a skid plate, go for it, but here's what I do. The block in the photos is 1" thick X 3" long. The half circle is 1" in diameter and is 1" from the bottom of the block. I rubber band it to the round crossbar at the bottom of the left passenger peg support, to hold it in place while I'm raising the lift to meet the bike.
The lift is rolled in from the right side at about a 20 degree angle with the handle angled toward the rear of the bike. The front lift arm is stopped by the sidestand mount and I make certain the rear arm is under the block, then I raise the bike up. The bike is so solid of the lift that I don't need to tie it down. I have even done a two wheel tire change with no concerns.

Thanks for the photos RICZ. I have considered buying a second jack and modifying it just for the XC. After looking at the skid plates and reading some post today the skid plate is history. I will get back with what ever I come up with. I have a yellow craftsman jack that I really like and have watched a couple of youtubes on the J&S vs Pitbull. J&S rocks!thumb up I would like to have something to do a 2 tire change with out concerns as well. A lift table would be nice but I don't want to give up the loot or the space!

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
I must be turned around. The blocks are for the back of the bike?
VV, you are looking at the left side passenger peg support. The front of the bike is to the left. Hope this helps with your orientation. If you need more orientation, go out for Chinese tonight.:ltr:

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Ric, what is your block made of and where can I get it? You should sell those along with your plate brackets.
Between my wife and you guys, I'm gonna be kept busy. I'm still playing around with a mudflap design. That block would be easy to make, but I don't know what the potential is for sales. It seems many have figured a method to steady their bikes on lifts and I believe this design will work only on Cross bikes.

My block is made of a hard plastic, but I imagine hardwood would work as well. As long as the grain runs horizontally.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Do you remember where you got them? Not able to locate anything on the interweb and Slowes is a half hour away. thumb up

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Do you remember where you got them? Not able to locate anything on the interweb and Slowes is a half hour away. thumb up
I designed my block and a friend who works at a plastics fabricator made it for me. Originally, I thought I would need two (one on each side) but just one works fine as the stout exhaust crossover on the right side is the other lift location.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Well after looking at my options I decided to order the J&S jack. I had some questions and call them up Monday. Nice to have an actual person on the other end that knows the product and understands your concerns. I wound up ordering the air over manual jack. It came to SC from W1 in only 2 days. Simply bolted the jack to the plate and I was ready to go. They sent me the 2 shims for the XC although I placed them differently from the picture they sent. It worked better on my bike to use them doubled on the left rear of the bike. This jack gets a 10+ from me. I have jacked up a lot of bikes in the past but this is by far the best system I have used. It is well constructed and rock solid. Im glad I kicked in the extra 100 bucks for the air model.thumb upthumb up

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
I am making a bunch of my lift adapters as seen in post #3. They aren't gonna cost much, but I'm holding off on the price as I like to include shipping and have yet to find out what the postage will be. Will post ASAP.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am making a bunch of my lift adapters as seen in post #3. They aren't gonna cost much, but I'm holding off on the price as I like to include shipping and have yet to find out what the postage will be. Will post ASAP.
Put me 1st on your list and send me a PM. Thanks thumb up

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Put me 1st on your list and send me a PM. Thanks thumb up
Watch this thread this coming week 4 Inch and everyone. I'll post the cost and how to order. wac

·
Premium Member
234 Posts

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
See the link below. I too have a PEPSX stand and this is what I'll be doing.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=49321
You must be strong as an ox to lift your bike onto that contraption. Most of us use one of those lifts with a couple arms that slide under the bike and lift it that way. My little adapter fills a gap that makes the bike very solid on the lift.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
On my 2016 CCT and my Sons 2015 Magnum it was necessary to trim the the inner back corner off as the brake line was in the way and wouldn't allow the block to sit right. After that mode they worked great. Thanks for the effort and sharing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts