Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am pretty new into the cruiser arena and I was looking to take both wheels off of my 05 Vegas 8 Ball to have them podwer coated. I just bought this
jack but do not have any experience on about how to properly lift the bike. Once off of the ground there is a pin where
I can lock the bike in the up position. I see that the majority of the contact area would be the bottom end of the engine.
Do I run any risk of cracking the engine casing by jacking this area or do I need wood blocks or something to assure the frame is being jacked? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2012-02-18 19.28.17 by hp15125, on Flickr
2012-02-18 19.28.10 by hp15125, on Flickr

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would remove the front wheel first and replace the axle and support the front with a jack stand placed under the axle... then I would remove the rear wheel and do the same thing. Properly placed jack stands can make a perilous adventure sturdier. JM$.02

·
13,027 Posts
First loosen all axle bolts and maybe caliper bolts. Any thing that might be in the way or needs to come off.

Now jacket up the bike you will not crack the cases. Pull your wheels easy like you'll see the bike is kinda unstable but you'll be fine.
If you have tie downs strap bike to jacket.
Pull your wheels and becrefull of the force you use.
Put wheels on and finger tighten bolts. Put bike on ground and the tighten to factory torque spec.
You might not need the jack extensions

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
strap it on both sides and the bike should not move. when you get the wheels off lower the bike so as less chance for it to tip over. Takes pressure off the hydraulics on the pump.. done it many times takes practice to gain confidence. mine has rings welded to the frame for the straps to mount. yellow part on the lower and the big pin on the upper looks like where you would put the straps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
strap it on both sides and the bike should not move. when you get the wheels off lower the bike so as less chance for it to tip over. Takes pressure off the hydraulics on the pump.. done it many times takes practice to gain confidence. mine has rings welded to the frame for the straps to mount. yellow part on the lower and the big pin on the upper looks like where you would put the straps.
I will definitely phone a friend to assist the first time. That pin is actually removed from its current location and placed in jack's arm (see holes) and prevents it from coming down, taking the pressure off of the hydraulics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts