Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...i have read where you can jack up a xr on the engine cases. this sounds like a really BAD idea to me. any other ideas out there?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
ok...i have read where you can jack up a xr on the engine cases. this sounds like a really BAD idea to me. any other ideas out there?
The engine is the frame - lifting a car/bike by its frame is always the right thing to do. Don't be shy, jack her up. thumb up

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Do a search on this subject. I posted the dimensions of this adapter that makes the bike rock solid on my lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
The Cross bikes are different. Without that adapter or some kind of spacer, you bike will wobble on the lift.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I jack up my '12 XCT directly on the bottom of the engine.

Before I bought the bike, I talked to the dealer's chief mechanic about a number of things. Concerning jacking up the bike, his recommendation was to put the jack legs directly on the engine bottom -- that's what he does. Just need to watch out for the oil filter.

I use the yellow Harbor Freight jack like bfernandez above. It does wobble more than my old bike (Suzuki Volusia 800) but that's what tie down straps are for. With it strapped down, I can roll it around the garage (smooth concrete floor) no problem.

If I need to pull a wheel or do anything else that will shift the center of gravity, I'll probably do something additional to better stabilize it but, for most chores, I'm comfortable with it on a jack.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
..wow...I have the Sears jack that is pretty much like the Harbor Freight one I"m told but I was VERY uneasy about how 'tippy' my XCT felt...more front-to-back, than side-to-side to be sure, but I was a nervous wreck just cleaning the wheels...no way I could see doing some serious wrench-turning...and you move yours around too? I found the best (not neccessarily good) method was to put a couple 1x4 boards across the jack rails at 90 degrees so I got full coverage across almost the whole length of engine case, but it still was very unstable..I may have to keep playin' with it if you can get yours to work to the point of moving it around too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You're correct, mcnor, it does wobble front-to-back but, strapped down (I use ratcheting straps), it's fairly secure. I wasn't comfortable with it at first either but, over time, it seems to work OK.

I have only jacked the bike with the trunk off (I only use the trunk when I'm on the road). I slide the jack in from the right side with the forward-most jack runner being just forward of the kickstand. I imagine that, with the trunk, the jack would have to come in more rearward and the whole thing would be a little more delicately balanced. Not sure -- that's just a guess.

When I move the "bike-on-the-jack" around in the garage, I first lower it so that the tires are close to the floor then move it gently and smoothly. That way, if it does start rocking, the tires will touch down and stabilize the bike.

Actually, the biggest crisis in confidence with that HF jack comes in lowering the bike back down -- not raising it or working on it after it's raised. That jack is notorious for working bass ackwards. But that's another story.

'12 XCT

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. i raised my bike on my harbor freight tonight off the engine case. just needed to lift enough to turn wheels so i could clean. (have a new xr le with the chrome spokes...what a friggin P.I.A.).
no problems other than just trying to get over lifting a 700+ # bike by the cases. it would wiggle a tad but the tires were no more than an inch off the ground.
thanks for the help!thumb up

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
RICZ, just 1 of these is all that's needed? Yours appears to be alum. but wood should work just as well?

Tks, RR
Actually I made it out of plastic but wood will do just fine. Only one is required on the right side, attached to shaft at the bottom of the passenger peg support. Dimensions are in a previous post on the subject. thumb up

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
ok. i raised my bike on my harbor freight tonight off the engine case. just needed to lift enough to turn wheels so i could clean. (have a new xr le with the chrome spokes...what a friggin P.I.A.).
no problems other than just trying to get over lifting a 700+ # bike by the cases. it would wiggle a tad but the tires were no more than an inch off the ground.
thanks for the help!thumb up
The lift needs to be slid under the bike from right side and at an angle - with the handle about 20 degrees toward the rear. Search posts and threads on this subject. My XR is rock solid and no tie downs are needed. thumb up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts