Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I don't know if it just me but I'm having a tough time trying to get used to the jackpot/wide tire. So bought the bike at the beginning of summer and had kind of a "accident" and burnt my arm hand and back at a camp fire. (Little to much fire water if you know what I mean) So I was out of work and riding the bike for a month, and so far have only put 1000 miles on it. At first I was having a problem with it leaning to the right a little to much went to dealer n they said it's normal actually removing the bazooka Joe exhaust helped a lot. But it still seams at high speed around corners it just feels a little sloppy. (I know it won't be as good as my gsxr was) but I just feel like I'm not going to make it around some left hand turns, I don't know maybe its me kind of still a little nervous after seeing a friend last year involved in a accident.

Also I sometimes get a weird feeling when I get over 40-50 it feels like I'm getting pulled off the bike and it's kind of wobbley. I just ordered a quick disconnect windshield to see if this helps any.

I really do like riding and enjoy it and love the look of my bike maybe I just need to settle down n put some more miles on her, but I've been trying to decide on maybe trading it is for a highball or judge or something with a smaller tire?

Has anyone else experienced this? All thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Fat tire takes a little getting used to. Mine is fine at speed but I don't use a windshield so a lot of air. Make sure tire pressure is correct

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the correct tire pressure? Stock Dunlop elite 3

·
Registered
526 Posts
I usually run 40-41 up front and between 38-40 in the rear.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked 40 front 39 rear

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
How many miles on tires. BTW I have the Dunlops and I think they suck. Metzs for me once these start to show some wear. Hate the ass end sliding when you hit the rear brake for a quick stop

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Original tires so 1050 I believe

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The larger the rear tire, the HARDER it is going to be to turn. That is simply a matter of FACT. Now, many get use to it. I always thought I wanted a Ness JP but never actually demo'd one prior to deciding that I wanted a bagger & bought my Ness XC instead back in '11. I didn't get a chance to ride a Jackpot until the demo truck came to the Gastonia/Lowell Indian/Victory dealership so I was looking forward to it.

Rode the JP @ that evernt and right away I noticed the turns were going to require a LOT more effort. I came into it KNOWING that would be the case so it didn't take me by surprise. I rode it as 'hard' as I could in mixed company and a limited road selection but had fun but it was WORK getting it all the way over. When I got back on my XC, it was effortless and I realized how fortunate I was to have "skipped over" the JP. I still LOVE the LOOK of that bike and I know that I could live with the ride characteristics but they ARE harder to ride and DO require a good bit more effort and concentration. In the end, the JP is one of the most beautiful cruisers available but IMHO they aren't designed for long 3-6 hour rides. As a bar hopper and short poker run, they are a BLAST!!!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Ok so I don't know if it just me but I'm having a tough time trying to get used to the jackpot/wide tire...
Your new best friend's name is Steer! Yes, Mr. Counter Steer. If you have not met him, I highly recommend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) approved class, where you will meet Mr. Counter Steer. thumb up

If you already know him, get to know him better - he's your new best friend. cheers

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your new best friend's name is Steer! Yes, Mr. Counter Steer. If you have not met him, I highly recommend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) approved class, where you will meet Mr. Counter Steer. thumb up

If you already know him, get to know him better - he's your new best friend. cheers
Haha, yea I did take a MSF course kind of forgot about counter steer to be honest but after Googling it I refreshed myself and ill have to check that out.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Hammer

At a demo ride I took out one of the Hammers. I must admit I liked the looks,but did not like the handling. I could get use to it,but you do really have to push on those handlebars to get it to turn quickly. I have read on here a number of the guys with them are going for the Metzler tire on the rear. They say it helps it steer much better. I sat on a new Judge the other day, and I think it would be a blast to ride.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I heard the metzlers were nice but really don't want to spend the money when these tires are practically brand new. Maybe it will b worth it I don't know

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Mets tires turn way better. If you look at the Dunlop from the back you will notice that is kinda got a flatter look to it. The Mets are round.I couldnt believe how much better my bike turned with the Mets tire. and thats also with a 10.5 wheel and 280 vs the stock 8.5 and 250.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea and I'm guessing it's not wise to run different tires front and back, if I just changed the rear and kept the stock front?

So does anyone have an opinion on the wind problem and would the windshield fix anything?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You'll get used to it. It was strange when I first got mine. Have to muscle it more around corners. I don't even notice it anymore. Not sure about the wobbly/being pulled off the bike feeling over 40-50 mph. I never had those issues. I always feel stable at higher speeds on the JP. I don't have a windshield. Keep riding and don't over think it. Any pics?

·
Registered
38 Posts
yeah counter steer it and it will lean over far enough to get the frame to scrape, the pegs are easy to scrape! I love mine but its my first on road bike. Ive had it for almost 4 years now and dont seem to complain about how it corners ever.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Mets tires turn way better. If you look at the Dunlop from the back you will notice that is kinda got a flatter look to it. The Mets are round.I couldnt believe how much better my bike turned with the Mets tire. and thats also with a 10.5 wheel and 280 vs the stock 8.5 and 250.
+1cheersthumb up

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So got the Windshield in and on today, I actually don't hate the look of it kinda grew on me the more I looked at it. But riding was a huge difference, only was able to go for a quick rip but up at speed I didn't have the feeling of getting ripped off the bike. Its still a shorty windshield so I get alot of air in my face but o well. Also thanks for the advise of the counter steering it defiantly was a big help, still no sport bike but I brought her through some twistys no problem!cheers

Hope ill get some more miles on her before she goes into storage for the winter thumb up

1 - 20 of 58 Posts