Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of Joe Florida led lights for my 2013 Cross Country Tour. I have installed the front wheel,tank and rear wheel lights. I am having a small issue on how to install the set that goes under the engine. The only area that would hold the lights would be the oil pan but with the heat of the hot oil pan ,I don't know if this is a wise choice!

If any one has any suggestions on how to install them in this area that would be helpful.

Rocketman

·
Registered
173 Posts
Perhaps zip ties to lower frame rails? This would keep you just outside the oilpan. If you place them slightly inside they won't show, but will give good light effects.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yep, Done it twice.

Use a 9 volt battery and get the LED strip lit up.
Mess around with the angle but they will shine both on the lower part of the engine and for ground effect lighting if you place them sort of under/inside the floorboards.
Make sure to clean the area very well and I have had no problems with them in that spot at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe Florida Led Installation

Smoke, Thanks, for the tip! I'll give it a try . With all the controls on the in the way it look a bit complicated. Where did you make all the connects once you finished all the wiring? Of course with the battery being up front all my wires are running forward so they are near the battery before I connect the fuse and battery.

Did you place the rear wheel LEDs under the frame under your rear bags or did you connect them directly to the rear bags? If so how did you hide the wires?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I took the wire under the floorboard mounting brackets into the motor area and up under the tank and back. Actually ran the rt side over to the left to get away from the exhaust heat via down through the battery area. At night you can use a 9 volt and light the strip to see the reflections etc.

Back strips I put under the bags toward the outsides. There is the "lip" under there. I shine them towards the chrome exhaust and they reflect off towards the ground. Only problem is it makes a dark shadow under the exhaust closer to the bottom of the tire. So to help that area I put small strips on the metal exhaust framework that comes from the rear fender area out to the saddlebags. Run wires up inside rear fender.

TIP: use some of Florida Joes disconnects for the saddlebag LED's. I put mine at the place the Ipod cord comes out from under seat and jumps acrossed to the saddlebag mounting frame. Zip tied between the seat and frame. Put the connection there. When you undo the mounting screws to remove the bags simply get the LED connection too.

Anything else I can help with just yell.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Are you using the strips or pods under the bike? I've used Joe Florida and he has some good stuff. I'm in the middle of installing a kit right now too, I'm adding the flat strip style and in the front I liked the bottom edge of the floor board mount for the best location of the light to shine where I wanted and mount flat.
The 9vt and tape is a great way to figure it out, I taped on strips a bunch of times to figure mine out. Still not 100% on how I want to light the engine as you can see the bottom of the tank and the strips show but I've got time to figure it out.

I'll have a picture thread up when I'm done too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use all strips. I had a few pods to try and didn't care for them as much as strips.
Strips can be twisted or curved slightly to cover an area a little better than pods.

You can cut some of Joes strips in multiples of 3. Only the ones that have double ends but this makes fitting in some places nicer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smoke, thanks for the advice. I am going to attach the Road Coverage kit led lights to the inside edge of my foot boards.I think this will do the trick. This should move me along nicely to completion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Led Lights

Smoke, I would like to thank you and all the other folks that provided me with advice on installing my Joe Florida LED Lights. I ended up installing the ground effects lights to the inside of my floor boards. I ran a set under my tank ,saddle bags and on the inside of the front forks. Once lite up the bike looks sharp..

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome!!!
thumb up

I give LED and stereo advice, I ask for mechanical stuff. Not my cup a tea.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Power module

Rocket / Smoke , did you mount the power module up with the battery ? I have wires from my speaker and amp install all running down the left side of the fairing . Was looking at maybe by the battery tray bottom right and going from there , but with the pipe and the oil cooler I'm wonder if there's a better place to center it on the bike and run power wires spliced to the battery .

Smoke I followed your amp and speaker install to the letter and it worked out great.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wire Configuration

I ran the the wires from the lights that I place under my rear bags up towards my seat then connected them to the lights under my tank. I then ran all wires towards the battery. I placed my leds on the inside of my floorboards and then ran the wires towards the chin through holes on the fairing, I then gathered all the wires, made the connection and hooked them to the battery. My light switch is hidden under my seat , there was an empty hole and I attached it there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good Deal!! The amp isn't hard at all if you do it that way. I have yet to have a problem.

The LED's...I brought a fused power and a ground wire from the battery up the left side of chin piece, under the tank and back the left side of frame to the rear of the tank. Ran all LED wires to behind the side panel and connected. Run all wires to the area and zip tie nicely together...EXCEPT for the tank LED's. Either Let them separate in case you remove the tank. Or use Florida Joes LED strips that have the plugs inline. Simply unplug and remove tank.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks boys , I'll be in the garage today !
How'd you make out?

I spent an hour or so installing the wires for LED's in the bed of my new truck. When they get here I'll be able to install, lift my lid, flip a switch and proof...white LED light in the bed of the truck at night.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Out in garage now 7:30 pm . I took the tank off and I'm putting the module in a little space in the backbone of the frame and then ran the power wire all way up the left side and down to the battery and I'm just going to use a short wire to ground on the tank.
I had no power for the first part of my day think my wire connections were bad. I walked away from it and then I tried the remotes again . One worked .
Just got done doing the front wheel now I'm after the floor boards , using YOUR IDEA , it's going to be a project .
I'm waiting on lower bag fillers from WD , going to put a strip inside each one.
Where in Pa are you , I'm in Bucks County

Thanks

Mick

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm about 20 mins from the main campus of Penn State. Just about dead center of PA.

Are you aware you can use a 9 volt battery to get the LED's to light so you can "test" the light and see reflections to check if you are getting the look you want.

·
Registered
418 Posts
After messing around with the lights a while when I did mine, I installed the lights under the tank by attaching them to the wiring harness on both sides of the back bone and not to the tank. Since the tank must come off yearly for a filter clean/inspection I didn't want to mess with the additional wires. Not as clean as I would have liked but I can live with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts