Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
13,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inconvenience of snow and cold the multi layers of clothes. Kicking off your snow boots and your socks come with the boots and you step in cold wet snow. Having your nose run while your pushing snow around leaving frozen snot stuck to your face. Leaving your car out and it gets to -14 below and hopping it starts. Brushing the overnight snow off and you get into stiff seats. Going down the road and you keep looking at the temp gauge waiting for it to move a fraction and cracking the heat fan all the way up to less then a warm breeze. Now the inside of the window starts to frost up.
You just don't know what your missing living in warm weather. If I win the lottery tonight I will find out what warm is because I have forgotten what it is

Reactions: MonsterMash

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
The inconvenience of snow and cold the multi layers of clothes. Kicking off your snow boots and your socks come with the boots and you step in cold wet snow. Having your nose run while your pushing snow around leaving frozen snot stuck to your face. Leaving your car out and it gets to -14 below and hopping it starts. Brushing the overnight snow off and you get into stiff seats. Going down the road and you keep looking at the temp gauge waiting for it to move a fraction and cracking the heat fan all the way up to less then a warm breeze. Now the inside of the window starts to frost up.
You just don't know what your missing living in warm weather. If I win the lottery tonight I will find out what warm is because I have forgotten what it is
You poor bastard :D
It's a balmy 11 degrees where I am. My breath freezes my facial hair. But, on the plus side, my car has a new battery, so she fires right up. 3 more months (at least) of this crap

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
-30C (-22F) here in the great white north. Been like that for the past week. I have an electric blanket around the car battery and so far have had no problem starting in the mornings. Fingers started to freeze in the garage while I was cutting cardboard boxes to put in the recycle bin. Wearing my ugly cloths to walk to the mailbox down the street just to get a pile of junk mail. Bike is covered at the back of the garage and won't be seen until April 1st when us fools try to ride it with ice and water mixed with salt still on the roads, not to mention the new potholes.
God I wish I was an American so I can ride more. Damn my Canadian parents!!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
You forgot the worst "joy of winter" .....not riding :(

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
A lot of guys take mini-vacay's in the Winter by flying down to one of the warm spots, renting a bike for 2-3 days, then fly home with their batteries recharged. Seen them talk about on the forums many times.

For what it's worth, I feel for ya, been there done that. Don't miss it but living in the South has drawbacks too so take some comfort in that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just gone 9pm on New Years Eve here in tropical far North Queensland and it's about 26 degrees C or around 79 degrees - in fact I've just got out of the pool! Got up to about 33C today - Summer is warming up!

Russ.

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
It's 18 degrees F here right now. The low tonight is predicted to be 6 degrees F. The high today is predicted to be 20 degrees F. It's not going to get above freezing until Wednesday. Next Saturdays high predicted to be 62 degrees F. That's by the national weather station. This is not unusual weather for this area in Texas. But it looks to be a cold winter. The elevation here is about 3,300 ft.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
just gone 9pm on new years eve here in tropical far north queensland and it's about 26 degrees c or around 79 degrees - in fact i've just got out of the pool! Got up to about 33c today - summer is warming up!

Russ.
happy new year!!!???

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Winter is my summer while I enjoy paradise weather, the trade off.....months of HOT in the summer. I'm able to ride year around but when it's 115+ it can test you.

·
13,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Over on FB guys are bragging how there ride when its only 25 degrees or lower. I have done that not by choice and am sure a few of you have too. It's not fun its just plain fooling.
Happy New Year you all

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
Winter is my summer while I enjoy paradise weather, the trade off.....months of HOT in the summer. I'm able to ride year around but when it's 115+ it can test you.
Before I moved up to a higher elevation I had the same weather in Lake Havasu City. Only 10-15% of the local riders rode year round. I was one of them. It just took some getting used to and dressing right by covering as much skin as possible and using a mesh jacket for some air flow.

There is one advantage of the heat vs the too cold to ride weather; one never has to shovel the heat. It does play hell with anything fabric, plastic, vinyl, or rubber though that is exposed to that kind of heat daily all day. There are nights when it never gets below 95 which would be too hot for most Northerners to handle during the day.

I've only lived in one place that was about as close to perfect as we are going to find in America (weather-wise). San Diego, CA and not all of it, just one section that has the least temperature variance in all of the continental USA. Only Hawaii had a lesser temp difference between its hottest hot and coldest cold but it rained there so much when I lived there that I don't count the weather being as good as SD which has an annual rainfall of only 10". About half of where I live now. Unfortunately it is in CA. No need to go into why it's a bad place to live both financially and politically. Weather wise though; it rocks when it's not burning, quaking, flooding (when it does rain), or land-sliding. Most of which was a non-issue where I lived there. The coast however got miserable, overcast, and foggy a lot at certain times of the year and more inland got too hot. Not Phoenix hot but hot for there.

Who knows; if the invasion hadn't happened I might still live there.

Maybe America should absorb Baja, Mexico for all the good weather they have.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
You too mate. Have a great year and keep an eye out for those mad Gold Coast drivers!
Youre not wrong mate, you heard about me getting hit last month?
Insurance assesor okayed the 8K repair last Friday ?
Chopped the quote a little as they do, and gave me the paint repairs part?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Its even cold in NE TN right now! I have taken a new years day ride on a motorcycle for the last 9 years but not today. I can brave temps down to about freezing but when it is in the single digits I have to throw in the towel.

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
211 Posts
Youre not wrong mate, you heard about me getting hit last month?
Insurance assesor okayed the 8K repair last Friday ?
Chopped the quote a little as they do, and gave me the paint repairs part?
Mate I did see that - you're a lucky boy!

Hopefully it won't be too long now until she's fixed and you're back on the road.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have a couple Cali Poppy flowers in bloom :grin . A bit unusual for this time of year, but we're having a unusually dry and warm winter thus far. Has been in the mid `60s the past few weeks . . . doing yard work in a sleeveless Tshirt. Jan and Feb could be a whole different story. We shall see.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Primarily why I moved from 5 months of winter (PMS) and heavy snow to Western Washington... I can ride in the cold Winter - is in the 40's NOT -10 below and SNOWY, But it is expensive living here. NO more of this when opening garage door. I went from this SNOW to this on the water last week.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts