Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if other Judge Owners have experienced an issue with an inaccurate fuel reserve light? I.e., the tank holds 4.7 ga per the specs, and the fuel reserve light is supposed to come on when there is approximately 1 ga of fuel remaining. Thus far my light has been coming on between .3-.4 of fuel remaining. This would translate to about 15 mi. before running out of gas.

I know that the reserve is only an approximate and I completely understand that, but I would expect approximate to be in the range of 1.3 – 0.7 fuel remaining, and not the .3-.4 gallons remaining that I've experienced.

The reason I’m asking is because I have a ’14 Judge and the dealership has offered to replace the assembly that includes the fuel sensor under warranty. However, if the light coming on with little fuel left is common on the Judge, I can’t see replacing the part if the new sensor will do the same thing.

Curious on experiences from other Judge owners, and if anyone that has experienced the same issue has resolved the problem by swapping out the fuel assembly?

Thanks, and I do use the odometer to know when I’m running low, but while the bike is still under warranty I've been testing features so that I can correct any problems now.

Rob

·
Registered
780 Posts
Part of this is misreading the manual. I did the same thing.

It says LESS THAN 1 gallon. Nice and cryptic huh?

Thus I ended up coasting into a gas station around 15 or 20 miles later. So it's definitely less than a gallon- I would assume that there probably is at least a small measure of fuel that would be inaccessible if the tank was empty enough. I will say that I doubt replacing the assembly will make any difference. The range after the light stays on will vary depending on what type of riding is going on at the time- just like at any other fuel level status. Suffice to say- I do not push my luck much with the light on.

I think I did go about 18 miles once this past summer. It was just one of those times where premium was about .35 cheaper at the Costco a few hundred yards away from my house than anywhere else. I also had a backup available if I drained it- so I went for it. I did make it that time- with no sputtering at all. It took 4.9## to fill it to the neck. (who knows how companies arrive at their published specs)

Anyway- Personally I wouldn't bother with allowing someone to tear that down. Who knows what they might screw up. You have a 50/50 shot that the assigned tech has any significant Victory knowledge unless your dealer has no other brands..(unlikely) Just mind that light until it's broken in well. Keep a good track of how your range varies based on the riding and pretty soon it's just as good as a gauge. In fact- I will dare say better based on some of the posts here regarding how bad the real gauges are. (Victory is not alone in this)

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
there's roughly 3 litres left when the light comes on.
A US Gallon is 3.9 litres
An Imperial Gallon is 4.5 litres

when the light comes on its best to start looking for fuel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate all the feedback. Seems like my issue is close to Judge Redd's experiences in that at max I can go 15-20 miles before running out of gas, which unfortunately is far less than a gallon of gas.

I'd still welcome any other insights from other Judge riders.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just over a year into it and just over 10k miles-- Typical lows and highs before the light comes on:

Low end: 170 miles

High end: about 210- the highest that I remember was 218.

Probably like most- my riding will involve a variety of conditions. I expect the light right around 180 now.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
takes a while to get a solid light too, mine will start to flicker on then go out if I accelerate as more fuel is forced back over the pump, usually by 240k which is 150 miles its on.
Depends how I'm riding.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Why cant they put a proper gauge on.
A valid gripe IF they could be bothered to build a decent gauge to begin with.

The bikes with "proper" gauges are pretty bad in their own way. 5.8 gallon tank for a XC but several people on here say they often cannot pump in 4 gallons back in with the needle on the "E" ? If that's true- there's not a big benefit to having one..

Victory is not the only one, either. Dad's FJR- digital gauge- will stay full for an extended period, then drop like a sack of potatoes. I'm sure owners of other brands have similar stories. I guess the silver lining to the Vic's calibration is at least it's reading lower than it actually is, and not reverse..

·
13,002 Posts
any thing below a gallon your fuel pump is getting hot. You get it hot enough and you'll be need a new one

·
Registered
365 Posts
A valid gripe IF they could be bothered to build a decent gauge to begin with.

The bikes with "proper" gauges are pretty bad in their own way. 5.8 gallon tank for a XC but several people on here say they often cannot pump in 4 gallons back in with the needle on the "E" ? If that's true- there's not a big benefit to having one..

Victory is not the only one, either. Dad's FJR- digital gauge- will stay full for an extended period, then drop like a sack of potatoes. I'm sure owners of other brands have similar stories. I guess the silver lining to the Vic's calibration is at least it's reading lower than it actually is, and not reverse..
They wont build their own gauge anyway just source them from the same manufacturer as Honda Suzuki etc,theres nothing wrong with their fuel gauges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts