Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently removed the baffle from my Tri Pro exhaust. The bike has run much better without them and has opened up some mid range power that was lacking. It did however highlight that the stage 1 download is still lean under load, especially riding 2 up. I have the PCV and Auto Tune arriving today and will install them ASAP assuming the rain gives me some time to get it done. Not sure if anyone has one this with the Judge and wanted to share it here.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PCV and Auto Tune installed almost. Started raining and getting dark and my enclosure is only so big to work in. So I have the ground and power wire to connect on the AT module. The Judge is a bit different to connect all of this on from the Vegas. The new tank design shrinks the available space by the ECU as they jammed more wires into that space. I did find a spot directly behind the tank and everything fits. There are not many days I wish I had smaller hands but getting to the front injector is certainly one of them. Once the rains stops I will get some more riding impressions.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
PCV and Auto Tune installed almost... Once the rains stops I will get some more riding impressions.
Give it a little time. If you watch the vid of a PCV closing its loop to acquire the proper offset it takes a while. And in that video, they were only tuning one cell. Your bike will have to be ridden over a variety of conditions over a period of time to acquire optimal settings for every possible throttle/load condition. Don't get to anxious. We're patient people here. :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh I know how long it takes, this is the second full Auto Tune setup for me. My bike ha had this rather annoying lazy rpm issue that started with the stage 1 flash. It will not drop smoothly back to idle when you rev the motor or even while riding. It seems to be from a too lean condition on the Judge model. I don't think the flash can handle the open air box cover the Judge and other vegas models comes with versus the older Vegas style cover. Looks like in 2010 they started offering the open cover in the EU and then in 2011 it became the standard.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Oh I know how long it takes, this is the second full Auto Tune setup for me. My bike ha had this rather annoying lazy rpm issue that started with the stage 1 flash. It will not drop smoothly back to idle when you rev the motor or even while riding. It seems to be from a too lean condition on the Judge model. I don't think the flash can handle the open air box cover the Judge and other vegas models comes with versus the older Vegas style cover. Looks like in 2010 they started offering the open cover in the EU and then in 2011 it became the standard.
Air boxes can be tricky little beasts. Believe it or not, they too are tuned, but tuned to resonate. I removed a little snorkel intake on one of my bike's air box once and the bike ran like crap until I replaced it.

Second guessing the designers doesn't always provide the best results.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely not second guessing the designers. I haven't modded the air box they simply redesigned the cover. From what I could tell the flash hasn't changed much from previous years, simply a semi educated guess based on my experience. I do know the PCV and Auto Tune will clear up any issue.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said in the post above. PCV and Auto Tune cleared up the issues I have had with fueling. No more RPM hesitation, bike still does not like to be revved for no reason but that seems to be a Victory thing, and frankly a non issue for me. Smoother running, cooler engine when stopped at a light, better acceleration with a passenger. Could not be happier.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Things like throttle blipping during deceleration at low speed, random revving like the HD boys all do. It's been a common theme in many posts in the tech section when people switch to Victory. The motor does not like it. Rapid throttle opening and closing under light load always results in a stumble.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Things like throttle blipping during deceleration at low speed, random revving like the HD boys all do. It's been a common theme in many posts in the tech section when people switch to Victory. The motor does not like it. Rapid throttle opening and closing under light load always results in a stumble.
I made this vid for another thread to demo the sound of the pipes doing various things.

You can hear me blip during a couple of downshifts to match the revs going into a corner. I also rev the engine a couple times at the end with the bike in neutral. I don't notice a stumble doing any of this.

Now my bike may have stumbled at some point over its 15k mile life, but always? If it's always, I'd say something is still amiss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts