Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How fast you guys get your judge up to? Mine is all stock and i was breathing on 115 mph maybe 114.just stopped pulling, drag limited

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
How fast you guys get your judge up to? Mine is all stock and i was breathing on 115 mph maybe 114.just stopped pulling, drag limited
Were you riding in a 40 mph head wind or something? That seems low.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Were you riding in a 40 mph head wind or something? That seems low.
I don't think so. My bike is turning 3k rpm at 80 mph in 6th gear. If the bike is relatively stock it will make power to about 4.5k rpm so I would expect at best about 120 mph.

Throw in the fact that, IIRC, wind resistance is not proportional to velocity, but proportional to it's square. So even if the bike is still making power, it may not be enough to overcome the force of the wind resistance above 100 mph. 115 mph sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I don't think so. My bike is turning 3k rpm at 80 mph in 6th gear. If the bike is relatively stock it will make power to about 4.5k rpm so I would expect at best about 120 mph.

Throw in the fact that, IIRC, wind resistance is not proportional to velocity, but proportional to it's square. So even if the bike is still making power, it may not be enough to overcome the force of the wind resistance above 100 mph. 115 mph sounds about right to me.
You're on a different bike, different weight and different cams. Maybe it means nothing. I never rode a judge. I've not topped my KP out but i did hit 110 before letting off and she was still pulling at 110. No way was she going to top out at 115

I'd guess 125...though I don't think I'll ever find out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
It means it gets there a tad faster. 4.5k rpm x gear ratio = some fixed speed. Doesn't matter how peppy the engine is.
Same top speed, doesn't matter how peppy the engine is eh? Lets say your bike is bone stock with your stock cam. Lets also say, that I have torque tube, PCV, timing wheel, performance exhaust and just for giggles lets say I'm putting down 15 HP more than you (but I left the rev limiter alone). Now we're both riding into a strong wind. Still the same? Nope. My 15 extra HP allowed me to top out but because yours wasn't as "peppy" as mine, you weren't able to reach your top speed. No two bikes are the same. Each bike will have a different weight rider, different weight bike, different aerodynamics. Your bike might not be "peppy" enough to tach out under those conditions while mine may be? That's real world vs perfect world. Your calculator forgot to calculate wind and weight vs HP

The question to the OP would be, what was your RPMs @ 115 MPH

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
My bike is turning 3k rpm at 80 mph in 6th gear. If the bike is relatively stock it will make power to about 4.5k rpm so I would expect at best about 120 mph
My front pulley is 2 teeth smaller than stock and my bike goes through the traps at the end of the 1/4 mile at a true 115 mph in 4th gear.... just sayin'

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Same top speed, doesn't matter how peppy the engine is eh?
Saddlebag means no matter how much power an engine makes, 4.5K RPM X a specific gear ratio = a specific speed. More power just gets you to that specific combination in a shorter elapsed time. He didn't mean top speed.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Same top speed, doesn't matter how peppy the engine is eh? Lets say your bike is bone stock with your stock cam. Lets also say, that I have torque tube, PCV, timing wheel, performance exhaust and just for giggles lets say I'm putting down 15 HP more than you (but I left the rev limiter alone). Now we're both riding into a strong wind. Still the same? Nope. My 15 extra HP allowed me to top out but because yours wasn't as "peppy" as mine, you weren't able to reach your top speed. No two bikes are the same. Each bike will have a different weight rider, different weight bike, different aerodynamics. Your bike might not be "peppy" enough to tach out under those conditions while mine may be? That's real world vs perfect world. Your calculator forgot to calculate wind and weight vs HP

The question to the OP would be, what was your RPMs @ 115 MPH
Forgot to calculate? I just esplained it two posts or so ago. Sure there are many factors (weight, aerodynamics, peak power rpm etc), but they ain't gonna change that top end speed much unless you do something like put a Lloyd's cam in it and bump the rev limiter up. Your cam ain't that much hotter, they both put out about the same max power. Again, yours would just get there faster as it's lighter and producing more power throughout the rev range:

I've gotten mine to 101 per GPS 111 speedo. Seemed adequately fast for what it is to me. It seemed to have a little more in reserve, but I get too paranoid that I'm going to have to contribute heavily to the Policemen's ball.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Motorcycle consumer news, October issue tested the Judge. H.P. was 76.81, Tq was 97.22. Measured top speed was 115.7 mph. 1/4 mile was 12.44 @ 103.14 mph. Wet weight 691lbs.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Forgot to calculate? I just esplained it two posts or so ago. Sure there are many factors (weight, aerodynamics, peak power rpm etc), but they ain't gonna change that top end speed much unless you do something like put a Lloyd's cam in it and bump the rev limiter up. .
It sure as heck will affect your top end speed. I think you missed the entire beginning to this thread. The op asked what the top speed was because it quit pulling at 115 drag limited.
(let's assume by drag limited he meant the drag and wind limited him)

I respond asking him if he was heading into a 40 mph wind because that seems low.

You see where this is going? We're in the real world here where variables are affecting his top speed.

You respond with 115 is about it.

I let you know that I hit 110 with her still pulling so 115 can't be it. Surely it has more, just not that day because of wind?
I mention weight and cams because he said "drag limited" I brought up 40 mph winds.

You say it don't matter. Are you with us yet? You're saying we're all going to have the same top speed out there on the road. You're saying the OP topped out, I'm saying I bet he didn't. Everything I'm talking about changed his top speed from what your magic calculator said to what the real world told him that day...115 SB, buddy, we aint talking your perfect world, no drag, no wind, smooth glass surface with everything matching so that every bike reaches the rev limit in 6th gear. The guy is talking about riding his bike in the real world. What is real world top speed.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Motorcycle consumer news, October issue tested the Judge. H.P. was 76.81, Tq was 97.22. Measured top speed was 115.7 mph. 1/4 mile was 12.44 @ 103.14 mph. Wet weight 691lbs.
Most tests of top speed is a 1 mile run. 115.7 mph is what it ran in 1 mile. My money says it wasn't pegged out.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Most tests of top speed is a 1 mile run. 115.7 mph is what it ran in 1 mile. My money says it wasn't pegged out.
So, the bike will do 103 mph in 1/4 of a mile...
But in 4 times that distance it will not reach the highest speed it can achieve? It takes 3/4 of a mile to accelerate 12 more mph (from 103 mph to 115 mph) but it's not topped out? It has more in it?

Better keep that money in your pocket. Even if their top speed test track is only a mile long, that is more than enough distance (four 1/4 mile tracks) to measure the top speed of the unit in question. Additionally, if all the bikes they test are run on the same mile, it's a fair comparison.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
So, the bike will do 103 mph in 1/4 of a mile...
But in 4 times that distance it will not reach the highest speed it can achieve? It takes 3/4 of a mile to accelerate 12 more mph (from 103 mph to 115 mph) but it's not topped out? It has more in it?

Better keep that money in your pocket. Even if their top speed test track is only a mile long, that is more than enough distance (four 1/4 mile tracks) to measure the top speed of the unit in question. Additionally, if all the bikes they test are run on the same mile, it's a fair comparison.
You have me confused now. In your post above you noted the test that resulted in the 115.7 MPH top speed was ran in 5th gear not 6th. Yet your telling me that I better keep my money in my pocket when I said I bet it had more than 115 in it. So are you saying 6th gear has the exact same ratio as 5th?? Is it not logical that shifting to 6th gear would increase the speed??

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I can go from 0-20 in just a blink of an eye. From 20-50 in just a couple seconds. Yet going from 80-100 takes much much longer. I think it's conceivable that by the time you peg out in 5th, shift to 6th and wait and wait and wait as the tach slowly climbs that you are chewing up a lot of asphalt. I think it would take more than a mile to get to the point where your bike is not gaining any more.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
You have me confused now. In your post above you noted the test that resulted in the 115.7 MPH top speed was ran in 5th gear not 6th. Yet your telling me that I better keep my money in my pocket when I said I bet it had more than 115 in it. So are you saying 6th gear has the exact same ratio as 5th?? Is it not logical that shifting to 6th gear would increase the speed??
OK, my turn to bet... Your bike will go faster in 5th than in 6th, barring a 5th gear speed limiter. 6th gear is an overdrive gear and when gear ratio meets horsepower meets wind resistance meets weight... not gonna happen. Wouldn't matter if you had 2 miles and a running start, the bike won't do it.

Theoretically, the bike will go faster in 6th gear, but 80 HP will not pull 700 lbs + rider thru the wind in overdrive at 120 MPH.

Think about it.... the bike will do 90+ in 3rd gear... it will do 110+ in 4th... there is no way it will pull even 5th to the rev limiter (as evidenced by the magazine's 115 MPH top speed) and it DEFINITELY won't pull 6th to the rev limiter. For a Judge to pull 6th gear out to the limiter and actually "TOP OUT", that would take like 140+ horsepower and some aerodynamics.

So, how do bikes like the 'Busa go 200 mph? Easy, it's a couple hundred pounds lighter, it is aerodynamic, it makes 170+ HP, and it spins it's gearing to 12,000+ rpm. Even the 'Busa won't pull 6th gear to the rev limiter though.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
On my bike, a Cross Tour, top case removed, PCVAT, Thrush, air mods, 1100 pounds rolling weight more or less, dead flat and straight for miles in the eastern Colorado prairies, no wind to speak of, temps in the 80's and 90's- 112 mph all day. Thats what my Garmin tells me.That's what the red bike's got to offer. I have done it for miles, regularly.

A normal sized human without a massive fairing and windshield or bags full of crap could beat that for sure. Maybe that person on my bike would see the high teens. That's a guess. The fact is I can wind out a buck twelve and hold it until geography or civilization or the gas tank tells me different.

I'm damn happy with that for a mildly tweaked stocker, especially a bagger. I spent my kids inheritance on a bunch of v twin mills to wring that out of them and this Freedom motor does it every time at the twist of the wrist.

It's a game of diminishing returns. You reach a point up over a buck where there is still some left in the bank but it ain't enough to pay the bill. Now, Pop got a ways to go to call it a day but my money is going to be spent on how quick I can make it get there, not how much more "there" I can get.

Don't know what you are looking for up top Rebel but 112 is respectable for a long rod thumper.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Don't know what you are looking for up top Rebel but 112 is respectable for a long rod thumper.
I'm not looking for anything. The OP was. I was just saying that I had mine at 110 in 6th gear and still pulling. I find it hard to believe that it would suddenly stop pulling in just a short 5 mph or 2 mph in your case. Not buying it BUT not going out there to try to prove otherwise either. If I ever get a wild hair and decide to go after it, I'll come back and let ya'll know what she had.

HC, while I may not agree with your numbers, your principal was exactly what I was trying to explain to SB. How "peppy" it is makes a huge difference on what the top speed is...if you ever plan to see it.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts