Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my choices down to the Judge and the Vegas (but the Hard Ball is still tugging at me). I realize one of the Baggers would be a more practical choice for the type of riding I want to do with the Vic. But I like the idea of having a lighter cruiser to ride when not on the one trip per year that I have been taking.

So, with that said. How comfortable is the Judge for a week straight of 500 mile days? Would the lock and ride windshield and saddle bags work well for this? Or should I be looking at after market brands? How's the seat? Can the factory cruise control be installed on the Judge? I've heard the exhaust cooks the riders leg some.?? Looking forward to hearing of your experiences...

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
My choice for a daily driver was the Kingpin, let me explain...

The bike is set-up to accept large saddlebags (which you need for traveling). It is comfortable enough to do 500 mile days on. It has the inverted front end and 18" wheels which allow good tires, so the bike is far more capable than a cruiser/bagger has a right to be in the twisty stuff. Floorboards were replaced with footpegs off a Vegas, which bolt right on. Wind protection was resolved by the MRA Vario.

Best of both worlds.

You can have it all.... You don't have to ride a barge to be comfortable and have utility.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Of course, some of us are horizontally challenged to where a barge is an appropriate solution.
If I run around on any of them steel frame bikes it would be like me marrying a nineteen year old. Peeps would take one look and yell at me to get off her before I kilt her.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You can have it all.... You don't have to ride a barge to be comfortable and have utility.
I find the Kingpin to be a very nice bike too, but I feel we need some clarity or terms here. A Cross Roads with hard saddlebags weighs 58 lbs more than a naked Kingpin. A Cross Roads doesn't just come with appropriate sized wheels, it comes with an excellent set of tubeless radials. There is no reason to loose the comfort of the floorboards on a Cross Roads because it has considerably more cornering clearance than a Kingpin. Any handling setback due to weight is more than compensated for by the Cross Road's rigid aluminum frame.

Give those considerations, perhaps calling a bike from the touring line a "barge" is a wee bit hyperbolic...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like the baggers as well...
The Hard Ball has really been in my sights for a while. I reailze that the Cross Roads and the Hard Ball would perform better on the "trips". However, I wanted to hear from the Judge riders how capable it is...

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I really like the baggers as well...
The Hard Ball has really been in my sights for a while. I reailze that the Cross Roads and the Hard Ball would perform better on the "trips". However, I wanted to hear from the Judge riders how capable it is...
I would say it's dependent on how hard you are. The Judge has much less suspension travel, as a result, the spring was wound much tighter and your spine will be compensated accordingly. It also has a low end damper rod fork that will test your mettle on that end too. The seat padding is scooped out and with the little padding left, puts you into a clam shell position. If you're into yoga or self-immolation, this kind of body position may work for you on long rides. I don't think touring was what the designers at Vic had in mind when they released the Judge. But I've known guys perfectly happy to tour on full on, monkey humpin race replicas, and I did it for a long time on bikes just ever so slightly more comfortable, so I'd say it all depends on the rider. Personally, at this point in my life, I'll be sticking with touring bikes to do distance riding.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
I wanted to hear from the Judge riders how capable it is...
Very few people would purchase a Judge and try to make a touring rig out of it... and for good reason.

You can go touring on a Sportster w/a milk crate bungied on the back seat. While the bike is capable of doing it, that doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

For what I do on a motorcycle (couple of trips a year and a lot of 500 mile day-rides) I don't NEED a touring bike. And when riding around locally day-to-day I don't want the inconvenience of big ol' touring machine's size and weight. When having fun on the bike (meaning straightening out twisty roads) I prefer something a bit sportier.

The Judge, Vegas, Kingpin, Boardwalk, High Ball... all the same chassis... all equally capable to tour on... some with different seating positions and other features that make the conversion to touring easier/more sensible, but the bars and foot controls all interchange.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
I find the Kingpin to be a very nice bike too, but I feel we need some clarity or terms here. A Cross Roads with hard saddlebags weighs 58 lbs more than a naked Kingpin. A Cross Roads doesn't just come with appropriate sized wheels, it comes with an excellent set of tubeless radials. There is no reason to loose the comfort of the floorboards on a Cross Roads because it has considerably more cornering clearance than a Kingpin.
Well... The Cross Roads 8-Ball is only 38 lbs more dry weight than the Kingpin. Both are listed as 5.8" of ground clearance. Both wheels on the KP are 18" where the rear on the XR is 16". Both chassis are equally rigid as neither will experience flex.

However... with the Kingpin (or other steel framed bikes) there will be many more options for exhaust and airbox designs. You can ride it sans luggage and with a solo saddle, unlike the XR. It can be more than one bike based on how you dress it and can go from naked solo cruiser to tour-packed bagger-tourer as you desire. The XR will be more roomy/comfortable most likely, depending on what saddle you're using.

"considerably more cornering clearance than a Kingpin"
That I would argue. IF it did have more cornering clearance (which I doubt) it would not be considerably more. This would be a wager I would happily participate in. :D

There are advantages/disadvantages to both. Life is filled with compromises and we all choose the compromises we can live with.

I almost bought a Goldwing, but decided against it. Yes, that bike would be swell... but once the swelling went down... I know I won't want to live with a full-blown touring bike as my daily driver. It offered no versatility... it's always a tourer.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I realize a Hammer is no Kingpin or CR . I have no illusions , But , I can throw on my touring seat w/ backrest and my Vic saddlebags with ghost mounts in about 4 minutes.... toss on the ol'lady , and we are good for the day in relative comfort , now I have the heated grips and the speedscreen for more comfort. In about 5 minutes , I can strip all this crap off and have a Ground pounding muscle cruiser for the ultimate in coolness.thumb up

·
Registered
289 Posts
Before there was a Vision\Crossroads\CrossCountry etc. plenty of Victory owners were going all over the country on Vegas, KP, Hammers (me), Jackpots, etc.

Easy. Have fun on the Judge. It is more than capable.

Having said that. Everything is better for travelling on the newer bikes!

Consider a Judge with the mid-screen and the Victory saddlebags. Kitted out like that it is $15.4K.

Consider a Crossroads 8-Ball with a mid height windscreen. Kitted out like that it is $16.6K

What do you get for your $1200 bucks!

Better suspension with more travel and adjustability.
Much larger hard bags that are lockable.
Triple disc brakes
A better seat with room for two and room to move around on.
A larger gas tank.
Waaaaaayyyyy more ground clearance.
Aluminum frame.
Higher weight rating.

Granted, you can't remove the bags but once you appreciate the convenience, you'll leave them on. It does weigh 64 pounds more if that's a factor.

Get a Cross bike,your riding partner will love you, your ass will love you, your spine will love you.....

Or not....

·
Registered
55 Posts
So all that being said I own a 2013 Judge. While I have not done any 500 mile days yet, one 300 mile trip & many 200 mile rides. The bike is very comfortable & definitely fun to ride. I have Viking Bags on mine & an aftermarket windscreen. While the bags are nice, storage space is small, will probably add a tail bag for the long hauls I want to do next year & Vegas foot controls. Love the windscreen, makes a huge difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would say it's dependent on how hard you are. The Judge has much less suspension travel, as a result, the spring was wound much tighter and your spine will be compensated accordingly. It also has a low end damper rod fork that will test your mettle on that end too. The seat padding is scooped out and with the little padding left, puts you into a clam shell position. If you're into yoga or self-immolation, this kind of body position may work for you on long rides. I don't think touring was what the designers at Vic had in mind when they released the Judge. But I've known guys perfectly happy to tour on full on, monkey humpin race replicas, and I did it for a long time on bikes just ever so slightly more comfortable, so I'd say it all depends on the rider. Personally, at this point in my life, I'll be sticking with touring bikes to do distance riding.
I wouldn't say I'm iron butt material but I can put some miles in a week. At the end of July I took a 3,757 mile 8 day trip on a 2013 CB1100. One 725 mile day a couple of 650 mile days and a few 500 mile days. I did have a sore tail bone after the trip. I must say that at times while slabbing it on the interstates I did think about how the comfort of a larger bagger or tourer would be better. However, at gas stations while hand pushing the bike away from the pump and while making U turns on two lane highways the smaller lighter bike was nice...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So all that being said I own a 2013 Judge. While I have not done any 500 mile days yet, one 300 mile trip & many 200 mile rides. The bike is very comfortable & definitely fun to ride. I have Viking Bags on mine & an aftermarket windscreen. While the bags are nice, storage space is small, will probably add a tail bag for the long hauls I want to do next year & Vegas foot controls. Love the windscreen, makes a huge difference.
From your signature I see you ride a Tiger. So if you were about to take a 3500 mile tour (no passenger) wacwhich bike are you taking?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm iron butt material but I can put some miles in a week. At the end of July I took a 3,757 mile 8 day trip on a 2013 CB1100. One 725 mile day a couple of 650 mile days and a few 500 mile days. I did have a sore tail bone after the trip.
CB1100 is much more ergonomically correct.

Though the newer one with pullback bars and a windshield isn't too bad if you have the inseam for it (I don't).

You definitely do not want that laid back position at higher speeds without a windscreen. You knuckles will scream in protest after trying to hang on for a few miles.

I must say that at times while slabbing it on the interstates I did think about how the comfort of a larger bagger or tourer would be better. However, at gas stations while hand pushing the bike away from the pump and while making U turns on two lane highways the smaller lighter bike was nice...
The X bikes have a very low center of gravity and are relatively easy to move around. 50 lbs or so after the bags are accounted for really isn't much of a difference. If you think it's anything like a Harley Ultraman, you're in for a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
55 Posts
From your signature I see you ride a Tiger. So if you were about to take a 3500 mile tour (no passenger) wacwhich bike are you taking?
Definitely the Judge, the Tiger 800 is a great bike, love it to death, but I use it more as a commuter/day tripper than anything else. I have put more touring miles on the SV, been all over the East & Midwest with that. They have a touring seat available for the Judge, which by all accounts works well especially for 2 up. If you do get the Judge make sure you get the sag on the rear shock set for your weight & riding, makes a big difference in handling & comfort.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Sorry didnt see what your riding now but my experience here, up a year and a half ago i rode a hardtail chopper, one person bike and i carried a backpack. So when i started looking for something for 2-up i found a vegas, figured windshield, backrest, comfy seat, saddlebags and the wife and i could go anywhere. Well i put all that on, put 3000 miles on before we had a chance to go for a ride, got 25 miles and had to stop so she could stretch. Im 6'3" shes 5'9", I had it setup for me but to squishy for her. The next weekend I traded the vegas in on my xc and havent regretted it one bit. So much more room for us, plenty of room and storage for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 36 Posts