Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been hanging out a few months seeing what you all had to say about your rides while I weighed my next bike purchase. Thanks partly to the enthusiastic forum I finally made up my mind and Victory won. I am "jumping the gun" with this introduction as I haven't even picked up the bike yet - but it's so close now I'm busting to shout the word.

As of tomorrow (Thursday Mar24) I'll be riding my new honey home from Mom's in Foxboro Mass to Cape Cod - a very low mileage 2010 Cross Country in Midnight Cherry - and I CAN"T WAIT! I only have a short test ride to go by so far but could tell immediately it's a sweet ride - better than any XC or vision I'd ridden before (we had rented a few Victories in the past).

She's had just a couple things done to her already in her short 7800 mile life - lowered significantly and a stage one muffler with tune - but that's all the dealer can tell me. All I know is it is way smoother and peppier than ones I've ridden in the past and worlds above the ailing Kawasaki Nomad I've been babying along the last 2 riding seasons. I am going to hit the ground running HARD on this beast, come tomorrow I'll be laying down a hundred mile smile all the way home!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Beautiful Bike ! I work right down the street from Mom's and bought my bike there also . Glad you chose Victory , and welcome to the Forum !cheers

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
You are going to get tons of compliments of the color. I've had my 2010 XR since new, 6 years now, and no problems. I do all my own work (I don't trust others with tools in their hands) and its so easy to work on.
If you don't care for the lowing job, ask if the original strut is available and put that in, its not difficult. Oh, and welcome to the Wonder World of Victory from the Northwet.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beautiful Bike ! I work right down the street from Mom's and bought my bike there also . Glad you chose Victory , and welcome to the Forum !cheers
Thanks man, Moms is a good place right? I've heard good things. This bike was drawing a crowd while we were looking at it that day - it took us less than an hour to decide we better put a deposit on it. Glad we did:)
I noticed your sig and a lot of others here mention the popular upgrades which I presume this bike has not had done yet (throttle, timing gear, etc) and you had your work done at KMC instead of Lloyds. Is that a proximity thing, is one "better" than the other or is this one of those CAN-OF-WORMS questions? I'm good at those!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You are going to get tons of compliments of the color ~ so easy to work on ~ original strut ~ Northwet.
The woman LOVED the color right away, she's the one who made me buy it!!! I have and would wrench on my own bikes, up to a point, glad to hear these are sort of designed for simple maintenance. The strut may well have to be reversed as we ride two-up a lot and Cape roads aren't exactly pristine, this remains to be seen but again it's good to know it's not brain surgery to reverse it. Northwet I see you're also a comedian...we'll get along dandy. I like to say the year on Cape Cod goes January, February, March, March, March, July. We're in for lots more soupy crap before it get's really nice for a couple months. Tomorrow is likely to be one bone chilling ride on this tornado. Temps in upper 40s which isn't terrible but this bike has a stupidly small windshield on it right now - will be my first change once I get her home and dry.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
I just did some work on the rear suspension. The wheel does not have to be removed to remove the shock, rocker, etc. In fact, the pipes do not have to be removed to remove the rear wheel! There is a Witchdoctor's video showing how to remove the shock. Rylan Vos of the Vic Shop has one too and I think its better. Find them on Youtube.
When you have have the rocker out, you might want to add a zerk fitting per Lilmags500 posts. FYI; ya gotta mark where you want it to be BEFORE any dismantling. Drill a tiny breather hole at the top of the rocker so you don't blow out the seals when pumping grease.
We are here to help.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The wheel does not have to be removed to remove the shock, rocker, etc. In fact, the pipes do not have to be removed to remove the rear wheel! ~ add a zerk fitting ~ mark BEFORE dismantling ~ breather hole ~ We are here to help.
I can see you're here to help - MUCH appreciated. :smile

Well my dealership kinda messed me up today - I will NOT be riding her home quite yet.
Turns out they hadn't quite received the title from the last lender yet...can you say OVERSIGHT?! Need to wait on the bank and the US Mail - I don't do waiting so good. Grrrr. If there's a plus side it really is raw and crappy out today, not ideal riding conditions <he tells himself, sniffle>

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Thanks man, Moms is a good place right? I've heard good things. This bike was drawing a crowd while we were looking at it that day - it took us less than an hour to decide we better put a deposit on it. Glad we did:)
I noticed your sig and a lot of others here mention the popular upgrades which I presume this bike has not had done yet (throttle, timing gear, etc) and you had your work done at KMC instead of Lloyds. Is that a proximity thing, is one "better" than the other or is this one of those CAN-OF-WORMS questions? I'm good at those!
KMC has a mobile dyno and actually does Lloyds over the road tunes . KMC was at Mom's last year for 3 days doing cam installs and performance add-ons , dyno tunes , myself and some buddies all got some stuff done , it was a great day .

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KMC has a mobile dyno and actually does Lloyds over the road tunes . KMC was at Mom's last year for 3 days doing cam installs and performance add-ons , dyno tunes , myself and some buddies all got some stuff done , it was a great day .
Ah I get it thanks for the explanation. I won't be able to spend money on such things right away but it would be cool see these performance upgrades in person some time. I don't even know where I'd start or what it all costs. Just a dyno run "tune" with no parts is hundreds isn't it?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sounds like when you get your scoot and get settled we need to get together for a nice group ride ! There are about 6-10 of us that get together for rides during the spring , summer , and fall . You are more then welcome to join , we all ride Vic's too , so you will fit right in .:grin

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Nice - we'll make that happen eventually. Looks like most of the time I'll stand right out instead of fitting in, as I'll be the only Vic in my current riding gang of a dozen or so, mostly Harleys.
I ride with a group that's mostly Harleys. When I joined, there was one other Vic, now there are 3 + mine! But I do love being the only Vic in the crowd.
There is one very easy to do mod for about $150 - the Lloydz adjustable timing wheel. If a Vic owner is to do only one mod, this it it as it lets out a ton of oomph! Unless you are a HP junkie, the mods in my sig are all you'll ever need.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Gotta agree with the timing wheel. Added one to my Vision and the bike has better throttle response and it runs even better. Welcome to the forum. Hope you get your bike before the snow comes this weekend.
:-(

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
In Canada. Lloyds adjustable timing wheel. Where to purchase? Witch Doctors?

"KITEBOY" Kevin

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is one very easy to do mod for about $150 - the Lloydz adjustable timing wheel. If a Vic owner is to do only one mod, this it as it lets out a ton of oomph!
Nice - I will be able to check soon if a timing wheel may have already been done on my bike. Salesman told me the only mods he knew of was a stage 1 exhaust and map. I'll check it myself soon as I get a chance.

Not to turn this into a tech thread but curious - when adding a timing wheel is another map or tune required? - Is that consumer downloadable? (I don't know what I'm talking about here) Are other changes recommended doing at the same time, such as air intake mods or Power Commander? If it needs professional tuning after each change I can see where it would be more economical to get everything done all at once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts