Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jsut baught a 2004 Victory Kingpin
It has about 34K miles on it and I think it need some maintanance. I need some help. Good thing I got a great price for it.

·
Premium Member
12,984 Posts
Cool and congrats JJ33. Really good choice but I might be a little biased. Almost guaranteed that it will need the throttle bodies under the gas tank cleaned and all the cables inspected along with an oil change and good going over everything for adjustment; including the steering neck bearing. Pay special attention to your wheel bearings. Its no fun when they go out on a long ride.

Click on the link for service manuals and download one so you have that important tool to start with.

Also, unless you are in wit-sec, it's a good time to update your profile to tell us what state you live in and the year and model of your bike so in future threads we know what you're riding.

Oh, and pics are mandatory. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Info. The one thing I did notice is that the idle seems to be abit low. When it has the chokle on and its on the kickstand the idle is fast then once I sit on it and put it upright (with the choke still on) the idle slows. Once it has been warding up for about 3-5 minutes and I take the choke off it will either stall once I try to go or will idle and sound like it is about to die. Do you think this is due to a dirty throttle body or just a low idle speed that needs to be increased.

This si my first victory and first EFI motorcycle so its a bit new to me.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...Almost guaranteed that it will need the throttle bodies under the gas tank cleaned ...
:I agree: 99% sure they are overdue for a cleaning.
...Do you think this is due to a dirty throttle body or just a low idle speed that needs to be increased...
Almost guaranteed you have some dirty throttle bodies begging for a cleaning. It's good to clean them every 5,000 miles. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to drop off the bike at the dealer this saturday $95 and they will go through the bike. The previous owner seemed to keep up really well on the maintenance and the oil still looks nice and clean. The air filter is a K&N and was in dire need of a cleaning. I want it running well so I can have it for years to come. I really love the ride. Just feels a bit under powered.

Have you guys heard of any air intake systems for this bike with cone filters? (saw a picture and though it looked good)

·
Premium Member
12,984 Posts
I am going to drop off the bike at the dealer this saturday $95 and they will go through the bike. The previous owner seemed to keep up really well on the maintenance and the oil still looks nice and clean. The air filter is a K&N and was in dire need of a cleaning. I want it running well so I can have it for years to come. I really love the ride. Just feels a bit under powered.

Have you guys heard of any air intake systems for this bike with cone filters? (saw a picture and though it looked good)
Yes. Arlen Ness sells those. Can't really see it with the tank on though.

You can adjust the idle up a bit using a long small screwdriver or Phillips from the left side. Use a flashlight because it's hard to see. That's what most people do to put off cleaning the TB's for a while.

Save your money and get used to doing these maintenance items yourself. If you were nearby I could show you how to do it in just a few minutes. Not complicated at all. Just be careful with the fuel line which you need to pinch to remove from the tank. The nipple isn't the strongest and they get brittle after a while since they are made of plastic.

This where I don't get Ma Vic. They chince out on an important item fuel nipples and connections where they know the heat of the engine will soon make brittle. Oh well. It is what it is. Did you download the manual?

·
Premium Member
12,984 Posts
BBob, have you had wheel bearings go out? What mileage? What syptoms/vibration? Turning left vs right on the front?
Not on a Vic. Had 'em go out on Harley's. Everyone always said the Torrington's were the best bearings for them. Dunno about Vic's. Probably do a search on the various forums to see what others have done. They do go out eventually no matter what the make or model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts