Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought of this when I got home, I bought a 1.5" rear lowering kit, the little banana shaped things, for my 07 vegas, am I going to need a shorter kickstand? Is there anything to watch for with a 1.5" drop?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Move your wiring harness that's under the rear fender to the side. Zip tie it to the frame/fender struts so you dont tear it up while bottoming out.

·
13,183 Posts
See if you can find a shop with a press and bend it.

DO NOT USE HEAT

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you have no trouble with the wires in the fender, did you move yours? And how about the kickstand? Thanks, do you have any pics of it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't use Zip-Ties they will break and the pictures will show why. pull the wires out of the loom and use tape. This tape is like the stuff they use for sealing ducts. I'm lowered 2.5 in the rear and an inch in the front and didn't do anything to the kick stand. Just be smart how you park it. I have pictures in the Vegas picture thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
You will have to move your wires if you are going to ride two up. I would also tighten up your shock spring depending on how big you are. I don't have any fenders on my bike so I don't have that problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I will see what I can do about moving the wires, and not sure if the setting on the shock was from the factory when I got it, but I have takin 7 full turns out of it to get it to ride decent, it was fairly firm when I got it, I think there is about 8 full threads left at the top of the spanner nut. I am just over 200lbs, and I do plan to ride some 2-up, but about 95% or more of my riding is just me.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is this drop going to do to my belt adjustment? I am guessing I will have to recheck it once I get it in? Also, do the links change the geometry of the shock angle and soften the spring rate? I know some of the older bikes did that when drop kits were installed, this is a new setup to me though. thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just check your belt tesion after the drop.I always go with 3/4" up and down movement in the middle of the belt. As far as the shock, just keep an eye out when you ride 2 up, I'm a little over 200lbs. and when I had my fender on had no problem when I rode solo and had a 3" drop.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the kit installed, I paid $35 for it on ebay, they are powdercoated black, look much better then the stock metal looking pieces. It dropped it about 1.25" total, which is fine with me. Took if for a little test run, rides noticeably different, has a better, more positive road feel, and I seem to finally have gotten the belt to ride in the center of the rear pulley. And I was surprised that the bracket holes are only 1/2" farther apart then stock to get about an 1 1/2" drop.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, may have a problem, I rode to work today and its making a squealing kinda noise, mostly on decel, and it looks like its the belt. I can't see where its rubbing, but it is. About half of the belt width on the outside(right side) of the belt is rubbing something, and it looks like it may be under the motor sprocket cover, but I don't see anything obvious. I adjusted the belt a little tighter and it seemed to get better. Anyone else have troubles like this? Whats under the cover that may rub? It doesn't look to be at the entrance and exit of the cover, but maybe inside more, and since its mostly/worst on decel, I am assuming the belt is maybe flopping a bit, but its a consistant sound, not a hit and miss kinda sound. thanks for any help. I think I have to pull the pipes to get the cover off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Heard other people having this problem, my bike is a 2005 so I don't have this. On the chrome cover over your front sprocket there is a little nub. I've read on other forums where they just grind it off, this should fix your problem.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, thanks, I checked it out, I have to pull the rear pipe off to get the cover off. I swapped out the kit with the stock links, readjusted the belt, noise is gone for now. I will check into the nub later, I like how it looked and rode with the kit in.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, took the rear pipe off, which was ok because the gasket was leaking anyway, took the cover off and ground off the boss where the upper rear bolt goes through for the cover, I took it down to where the motor boss is, hope this fixes the rub, looks like it should. I also turned back up on my spring about 4 turns.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, sorry, one more question about this, what are the chances that I am going to be able to carry a passenger with the 1.5" drop links in without bottoming out?

·
Registered
368 Posts
sprocket bolt rubbing

The belt is rubbing on one of your belt cover bolt holes (the metal casing for the bolt) on the inside. The covers were changed in '08 according to KevinX and aren't an issue, but the earlier models need the cover removed and the metal ground down on the top rear bolt.
Here is a link to my post and a shot of the difference between the model year sprocket covers. http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4348&highlight=lowering
You can see from the last post/pic that the top rear bolt was moved forward in '08.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got that fixed, i took the cover off and ground the bolt hole down till it was just about to the hole, it is about the same now as the motor where it matches up to, what I need to know about it now is if there is enough travel still to allow a passenger on it without rubbing the back tire constantly. I am thinking I will have to adjust the shock up some more.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't worry about the tire, worry about the pass footpeg bracket hitting the belt guard.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never even thought of that, i bottomed the tire up into the fender one day, I can see that it rubbed the fender supports on the inside, didn't bother the wires though, I didn't even look at anything else. I wish my 1.5" drop was just a 1". I have also thought about longer fork tubes, like 1" longer just to get the front up a tad instead of dropping the rear. i also have thought to just change out the shock for a vegas/kingpin low shock and take the drop links out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts