Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well for those following you know I traded my XCT in a few weeks ago on a new Indian Roadmaster. Then after a short bit I realized I didn't like the Indian, it didn't fit me at all, I could find no way to adjust and the right side engine heat was tremendous (and it was only in the 60's outside). So I called the Indian dealer and talked to them and they immediately said they would buy it back for what I paid for it. I agreed and they came and picked it up. now I am bikeless.

I loved the looks of the Indian, the electronics were top notch and the 111 is an awsome engine with loads of torque without doing anything to it. But between the ride and the engine heat I knew it was not the bike for me. Not only did it not fit I hated the way it handled in the twisties.You had to work hard and push hard, it didn't fall into the curves like the Vic or my past wings.

Anyway, that is my final Indian report. Now to decide whether to go back to a Vic (I hate the thought of building another one) or go back to a GL1800 where momma was happier. We shall see.

·
13,002 Posts
In not to short of time Vic will release a new model or two.
If I sold the vision I would buy that F6B and the new ones will have abs and cruse. I here Honda was shocked at how well they sold

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I like the Indians. But for the wrong reasons. The reason I ride a cross roads is because it is the most comfortable bike I have ever road. I'm 6ft 5in and bad knees. It handles pretty good for a cruiser .
So sorry and good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
well for those following you know I traded my XCT in a few weeks ago on a new Indian Roadmaster. Then after a short bit I realized I didn't like the Indian, it didn't fit me at all, I could find no way to adjust and the right side engine heat was tremendous (and it was only in the 60's outside). So I called the Indian dealer and talked to them and they immediately said they would buy it back for what I paid for it. I agreed and they came and picked it up. now I am bikeless.

I loved the looks of the Indian, the electronics were top notch and the 111 is an awsome engine with loads of torque without doing anything to it. But between the ride and the engine heat I knew it was not the bike for me. Not only did it not fit I hated the way it handled in the twisties.You had to work hard and push hard, it didn't fall into the curves like the Vic or my past wings.

Anyway, that is my final Indian report. Now to decide whether to go back to a Vic (I hate the thought of building another one) or go back to a GL1800 where momma was happier. We shall see.
wow. I ride a Crossroads and am ready to pull the trigger on a RoadMaster maybe as soon as this weekend. I am 6'1", and yes... the Indian is more cramped but I planned to address that with Dirty Bird bars and some highway pegs. I need a longer haul bike with a fairing, and the wife LOVES the seat...

Can I ask for some more details? How tall are you? What specifically did you not like about the ride? (besides the cornering?). Anything else you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
IM shocked Mr Chips , but , it is what it is .... Good luck finding a new ride , but based on what the wife says , she sleeps better on the back of our XC then she does in our bed .... I don't really know what to think about that .....:D

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Wow- I never thought I'd hear of someone dumping an Indian to be honest- I guess we just assume they are premium machines......

Mr Chips- I know of 2 guys that sold their Victory's and thought they were upgrading, but now they regret selling their Victory's and wasting changeover money. That says a lot to me.....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Same thoughts here Krisd ....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few more details the best I can, and to answer a couple questions. I am 6'2" and hit about 275, wife is 6'.

As stated, the test ride was nice, but looking back that was excitment speaking and not being real, plus it was only a couple miles and straight.

I put highway pegs on, but that just didn't work. With feet on the boards it was a cramped feet forward position. With pegs it was just uncomfortable, no way really to describe it. I could probably have gotten used to it over time maybe. The bars were too low and felt like they were on my knees. I didn't look into seeing if someone made a taller set. I didn't need them to come back anyfurther, just up.

The seat was probably the best feeling stock seat I have ever placed my butt on. That thing rocked.

At the end of the day what really turned me off more than anything, and there was no fix was the engine heat and the dead weight cornering feel it had. Now had I not lived on GL1800's for several years and then followed that up with the Vic XCT, both of which feel like they are on rails, the Indian may not have been too bad. And again, in time I might have forgotten what really good handling felt like and gotten used to the Indian, but I would NEVER have gotten used to the right side engine heat and there was no way it would have been a happy ride when ambient temps were in the TX summer range. Granted the Vic was a bit warm, but it was NO WHERE as hot as the Indian.

It sux I had to learn the hard way and it sux I lost hold of the best fitting bike I have ever owned. But everything happens for a reason. while momma was ok on the Vic it was pretty tight back there for her. I suspect I will end up back on a GL for awhile and let her be comfortable again. I know what I have to do on those to make it work.

I am excited about the posibility of Vic announcing something new in a few months, who knows.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Mrchips wait a bit.

I think I would try and be patient and wait a few months if possible before another purchase. Maybe rent a couple of bikes if need be for a trip. End of the year fast approaching and who knows what Victory may come out with. Think we all kind of foresee a water cooled Victory coming out possibly. I am much shorter than you, 5'7" and a 30" inseam. I like my Cross Roads but I did read somewhere that Triumph is coming out with a water cooled Bonneville possibly around 1200cc and the piture they showed looked very nice, it even still looks air cooled for the most part. Must admit that bike got my interest. Will I buy the water cooled Bonneville, who knows but it looks good to me. So lots of interesting bikes coming out possibly. Since it is winter, I would be patient and maybe something besides a Oldwing might be in your garage. Oh I forgot the G on Goldwing, darn. Merry Christmas people.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Same thoughts here Krisd ....
Kris is good Mags- have a great Xmas with family man- it's already Xmas here of course

I am excited about the posibility of Vic announcing something new in a few months, who knows.
We're all different man and nothing is perfect so it's good you want to find something that suites you and your wife better. That does not detract from Injun at all.

Also bear in mind we may not see anything from Victory until September/October- the traditional "reveal " months- can you hang out that long?

·
Registered
263 Posts

3 things:

- How can it make financial sense for a dealer to refund 100% (less taxes etc I assume)? . They must really like you.

- This post makes me feel very good about my decision 7 weeks ago to buy a 2nd hand XCT as a first 'big' bike. I'm a new rider and took a lot of heat from folks for not buying harley.

- Sounds like you are going back to GL1800 and I'm a bit envious. I'm a plain vanilla Honda fanboy and wanted one in the worst way but a 29" seat height was a deal killer. I love my XCT and am glad to own it but honestly the thrum of that V twin isn't really for me. I'd love the smooth hush of the Honda mill.

Looking forward to seeing what you purchase

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Kris is good Mags- have a great Xmas with family man- it's already Xmas here of course
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Brother , to you and your beautiful family . cheers

·
Registered
12,201 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Nothing wrong with any Honda really. It cracks me up to hear folks TRY and bad mouth Honda bikes...that's funny. My first bike was a Honda. I am brand loyal though, I've drank the Victory coolaid and am convinced there is nothing better.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
As much as we like our Victorys, the new 'Wing is a knockout, especially in red and black.
http://powersports.honda.com/2015/gold-wing.aspx
They've finally found the can of black frame spray paint!

It's still a very busy looking machine, but I gotta admit, I like the blacked out frame/engine look.

I was looking at the options. They go up to $30k+ if you want everything. Normally, I probably would have stopped at the next to the top of the line with its premium stereo, XM, linked ABS brakes, heat grips and other goodies. After center punching the deer, I think now I might spring for the top of the line. Suddenly, spending $2k on an air bag doesn't seem like such a bad idea. :crzy:

·
Registered
85 Posts
A few more details the best I can, and to answer a couple questions. I am 6'2" and hit about 275, wife is 6'.

The bars were too low and felt like they were on my knees. I didn't look into seeing if someone made a taller set. I didn't need them to come back anyfurther, just up.
Thanks for the extra info... and I hear ya on the bars Mrchips. Here are pics of the Dirty Bird mini-apes that I will go with if I get a RoadMaster. I must say, you've got me a little concerned re: ergo and the heat issue (my wife is 5'10"). I'm torn between the RM now, or waiting for the 2106 CCT - I'm thinking they'll make some significant changes...

Good new for me is the wife won't let me trade my XR, so I'll always have at least on Vic in the garage.

Sorry it didn't work out for you - but it sounds like you'll be on something new by spring! Enjoy the holidays.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Not Totally Surprised to see this .. While I loved the Roadmaster Test Ride was a little concerned about the Heat as well .. Size wasn't a problem at 5'8" and 29" Inseam but on any Indian I've test rode on if much 6' will need to do some modding to fit you better .. Think I did well going with the Scout .. Far as i am concerned right now have the Perfect Garage ..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They've finally found the can of black frame spray paint!

It's still a very busy looking machine, but I gotta admit, I like the blacked out frame/engine look.

I was looking at the options. They go up to $30k+ if you want everything. Normally, I probably would have stopped at the next to the top of the line with its premium stereo, XM, linked ABS brakes, heat grips and other goodies. After center punching the deer, I think now I might spring for the top of the line. Suddenly, spending $2k on an air bag doesn't seem like such a bad idea. :crzy:
This is what we are looking at. Really like the idea of no chrome for a change. I don't think we will go above a level one. I can buy ALOT of GPS units for the price of installed NAv, I won't subscribe to XM radio and I don't need ABS brakes. Actually never liked the ABS on the VIC. As for holding off till spring.....that aint gonna happen. We can ride all year here in Texas. I will have another bike soon. I am 51 years old and this is the first time since about 6 I have not owned a motorcycle....lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Test rode the Indians at Americade this year and was disappointed how I fit on the bike. Also agree it was difficult to get it to fall over while turning. I am 6'2" and after trying various touring bikes decided that I have no reason to trade my XCT for anything else. It just is the best fitting bike for me and the way it handles belies its size.

To mrchips, I had 2006 GL1800 and after a time found the bike cramped with the foot peg to seat setup. Great bike but remembering the cramped seating, it was crossed off my list when shopping for my last bike. You said you felt cramped on the Indian. Not so on the Goldwing? Hard to argue with that motor though.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts