Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetical situation:
You don't own a motorcycle at all. You will be given a free motorcycle, any motorcycle you choose... with TWO stipulations.

1) YOU CAN ONLY OWN THIS ONE MOTORCYCLE. IF YOU BUY ANOTHER BIKE YOU HAVE TO GIVE THIS ONE BACK.

2) YOU MUST LEAVE THE MOTORCYCLE 100% STOCK. NO MODIFICATIONS WHATSOEVER.

What motorcycle would you choose?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Probably an "Adventure" bike of large displacement. Not sure on the make. That would have to be researched.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
It would be a toss up between the Vision and XCT. I wanted a Vision before I realized how small the saddlebags actually are.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would shoot for the best do it all bike... I think the only bike I could ride in 100% stock condition, and one that would offer the most versatility, would be something like a Goldwing or K1600B.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I would shoot for the best do it all bike... I think the only bike I could ride in 100% stock condition, and one that would offer the most versatility, would be something like a Goldwing or K1600B.
'Wing....more dealers, more accessories (you probably lied about not doing that) and more dependability.
As for me, a Can Am Spyder RT. Yeah, I know it has one too many wheels, but hey, I'm 82, but still full of piss and vinegar (more of the former) and the real incentive here is Pretty Wife said she'd ride with me again if I got one. We have LD toured together for about 200,000 miles on first gen Yamaha Ventures, but when I got the XR, after attempting to get on it, she said that requires a passenger much more athletic than her. But she's good about my riding off into the sunsets.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
'Wing....more dealers, more accessories (you probably lied about not doing that) and more dependability.
As for me, a Can Am Spyder RT. Yeah, I know it has one too many wheels, but hey, I'm 82, but still full of piss and vinegar (more of the former) and the real incentive here is Pretty Wife said she'd ride with me again if I got one. We have LD toured together for about 200,000 miles on first gen Yamaha Ventures, but when I got the XR, after attempting to get on it, she said that requires a passenger much more athletic than her. But she's good about my riding off into the sunsets.
I can tell you first hand it's an absolute BLAST to ride.

Yamaha FJR1300 for me.
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/fjr1300a

·
Registered
12,159 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
If I was 20 years younger, that would be my first choice.
Sport touring and good power only drawback is the $$$. $16,000 to start.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I gave up my 2003 FJR1300 with a trailer for my 2004 vegas. The high RPM buzz in the handle bars of the inline four put my hands to sleep in 20 min.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A Ural with side hack. :grin

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I have helped a friend who has a Ural side hack and they are super easy to repair. But there's a reason for that. You're doing that with some frequency.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The new bikes really piss me off with all the silly electronics. As an example, we'll use the KTM SuperDuke. This thing has a metric ****-ton of power and weighs nothing. So you don't kill yourself on it, it has a nanny electronics package of traction control, wheelie control, launch control, ABS... and all have various 'modes' of how nannied down the bike is. This little naked bike costs as much as a Chevy Malibu. Why? Because there are 6-8 grand in electronic gadgets on it.

The electronics take the rider's skill out of the equation. Mash the brakes as hard as you can and hold them... what happens? NOTHING. The bike stops.
Whack the throttle open and hold it... what happens? NOTHING. The rear tire won't break loose and the front end won't come up over a certain height.

I would prefer a $15,000 version without all the electronics and de-tuned to 125 HP, instead of 155 HP that the nanny won't let me use. I'll control it myself because that's what makes motorcycles fun and interesting. Why pay thousands of dollars for electronics when all I want to do is find a way to defeat them? Where's "OFF"?

The first thing I do when I start my truck... traction control off, tow/haul on, exhaust brake full on. Why? Because traction control is for pussies, I hate how soft and mushy the transmission is normally, and diesels have no engine braking. I would be fine without the TC, the trans should always behave like tow/haul, and the only modes needed are on the exhaust brake because when it's wet you need to dial it back.

Since people these days are a bunch of sissies, electronics are popular. So much easier than actually learning to ride that thing. One thing I just love about my bike is there are NO ELECTRONICS. No speed limiter, ABS, closed loop FI and O2 sensors... I do wish it had a rev limiter though (if you were to miss a gear at full throttle it would tach out past 6800) but I'm the one who got rid of that.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The first thing I do when I start my truck... traction control off, tow/haul on, exhaust brake full on. Why? Because traction control is for pussies, I hate how soft and mushy the transmission is normally, and diesels have no engine braking. I would be fine without the TC, the trans should always behave like tow/haul, and the only modes needed are on the exhaust brake because when it's wet you need to dial it back.
On the opposite end of that spectrum, I have a 2018 VW Tiguan and my wife has a 2008 VW Eos (2-dr hardtop convertible). Both have the 2.0 liter turbo automatic with "Tip-tronik" which allows me to manually select the gear. I would definitely have to agree about shutting off the traction control; even on dry roads, the difference in response is quite noticeable. Pop it into sport mode, or manual shift mode, and turn off traction control, it's a very fun car to drive. Same applies to the Tiguan, since it's all-wheel drive. It's just not as peppy. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
1) YOU CAN ONLY OWN THIS ONE MOTORCYCLE. IF YOU BUY ANOTHER BIKE YOU HAVE TO GIVE THIS ONE BACK.

Made sure I posted the Quote as a reminder No Mods and Only 1 Ride as I always Favor (2) .. :)

With No Mods allowed think would go with the Yamaha Star Eluder .. Just a tad heavier than Chieftain Dark Horse but more Power Bone Stock than CDH has at Stage 1 and probably more even if I added cams .. Also fits my 5'8" Frame like a Glove which many Rides I might consider as perhaps better don't .. Let me do some Modding and it would probably be my 2007 Victory Kingpin Back but Modded the way I like .. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the opposite end of that spectrum, I have a 2018 VW Tiguan and my wife has a 2008 VW Eos (2-dr hardtop convertible). Both have the 2.0 liter turbo automatic with "Tip-tronik" which allows me to manually select the gear. I would definitely have to agree about shutting off the traction control; even on dry roads, the difference in response is quite noticeable. Pop it into sport mode, or manual shift mode, and turn off traction control, it's a very fun car to drive. Same applies to the Tiguan, since it's all-wheel drive. It's just not as peppy. ;)
I understand...
It's funny, P was on the fence about her new Jeep, but now that it's winter she is loving it. Being a manual trans it doesn't have remote start, but that's OK because when the temp is below a certain point the seat and steering wheel heat is automatically on, and it has auxiliary heat so you don't have to wait for the engine to warm up... it blows warm air instantly to defrost the windows and warm up the cabin.

Between that, the stability/traction of automatic 4-wheel-drive, the 6-speed manual, and the pep that the turbo provides... suddenly she loves driving the little Italian Jeep.

I enjoy driving it too, but I switch off the traction control...

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Made sure I posted the Quote as a reminder No Mods and Only 1 Ride as I always Favor (2) .. :)

With No Mods allowed think would go with the Yamaha Star Eluder .. Just a tad heavier than Chieftain Dark Horse but more Power Bone Stock than CDH has at Stage 1 and probably more even if I added cams .. Also fits my 5'8" Frame like a Glove which many Rides I might consider as perhaps better don't .. Let me do some Modding and it would probably be my 2007 Victory Kingpin Back but Modded the way I like .. :)
It's so hard to beat a well-modded Kingpin and 2007 was the best year. Zero bullshit on it and the best shifting transmission Victory ever made. Not sure I could live with a stock one though...

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
It's so hard to beat a well-modded Kingpin and 2007 was the best year. Zero bullshit on it and the best shifting transmission Victory ever made. Not sure I could live with a stock one though...

No Question was the smoothest shifting I ever owned or test rode either one .. My 2012 Cross Country gave me 80,000 Trouble Free Miles 50K of it Full Stage 2 but the Tranny Clunked like Hell from Day 1 and Never got better ..

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ha.... I was going to say the SuperDuke or RC8 but like you said, I need to be able to turn all that crap off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts