Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really took alot of time looking into this fuel management system due to seeing many strong reviews but a few disturbing ones as well. The big selling point was the fact that locally dynos here run $400+ per run and this system doesn't require dynos / progamming. Will post in a couple weeks my results. Going to install this along with o2 removal, Lloyds adj timing wheel all together. Already have factorry sstage 1 Cobra Tri-pro 2into1 / K&N intake upgrade on my 09 Vegas V100.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Really took alot of time looking into this fuel management system due to seeing many strong reviews but a few disturbing ones as well. The big selling point was the fact that locally dynos here run $400+ per run and this system doesn't require dynos / progamming. Will post in a couple weeks my results. Going to install this along with o2 removal, Lloyds adj timing wheel all together. Already have factorry sstage 1 Cobra Tri-pro 2into1 / K&N intake upgrade on my 09 Vegas V100.

K&N intake upgrade... Is merely a K&N air filter. Since your adding a fuel controller you might as well add the S&S air box or Lloydz. As far as the Cobra fuel tuner goes most people have given up using them. In Fact if you wait a week or two you might get one for free. I would go with a PCV and then get a map from someone on here with same bike and mods.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
As far as the Cobra fuel tuner goes most people have given up using them. In Fact if you wait a week or two you might get one for free..
Yep , some guys here HAVE actually given theirs away and paid the shipping , just to be rid of it .....

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm not sure where you got your info, but from all the info I gathered, the best options if you don't have access to a dyno are either:

1)
VCF3 - because you can get the settings from LLOYDZ for your combo

2)
Dobeck Gen 4+ - because it runs off of a sensor so it's basically auto tune, and you can specify what AFR to run in any given range.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
The Cobra Fi2000(at least the one I ran) did fine with a more or less stock setup(drilled exhaust, Vic stage1 af) but once I added the Lloydz AF, ATS and Miller Mufflers the Cobra couldn't handle them. I went to a PC-V and was able to get the engine running and performing top notch.
The Cobra Fi2000 connects between the fuel injectors and 02 sensors, so don't plan on removing them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank PaiN for the o2 info. (I've seen comments on other threads prompting current Fi2000 owners to disconnect them) I had the Stage 1 air intake upgrade from the Vic dealer when I installed the Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust (chosen more or less for the sound and look). Will the K&N filter be ok with this or should I look into another air intake?

·
12,998 Posts
In essence, the PowrPro achieves its seemingly magical results by comparing fuel-injector pulse width (the amount of time an injector nozzle is open during each combustion cycle) with rates of engine acceleration, then—regardless of load, rpm, road speed or other riding conditions—constantly adjusts the pulse width as necessary to improve acceleration. The module takes comparison samples and reacts to them up to 80 times a second, so as far as the rider is concerned, those adjustments are instantaneous. Cobra calls it CVT, for Continuously Variable Tuning. But unlike other EFI tuning devices, PowrPro does not retain any fueling information; it’s active when the engine is running but has no memory.
For the most part, PowrPro only adjusts the mixture when the engine is accelerating; when cruising or decelerating, the system reverts to the stock mapping—with a couple of exceptions. For one, if the mixture at cruise is lean enough to cause surging, PowrPro senses those fluctuations in rpm and adjusts the mixture to smooth them out. CVT also can help prevent lean-burn afterfiring (commonly but erroneously called backfiring) when the throttle is snapped closed by adding a little shot of fuel at that point.

all this for $500 bucks and what another $500 bucks for exhaust
and you don't want to spend money on a dyno to get the full potential out of your investments. Kinda strange or you already know of the poor outcome

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been a good 2 hours reading the thread link you sent me (thanks). I have been on and off the fence on the Cobra. You're obviously passionate about performance and make great points in a "Trump" style of tone. I've been sold on the simplicity aspect as I doubt whether I will go after the mods to raise the front wheels off the ground. That may change down the road. That being said if this product simply improves the accelleration and throttle response and leave the door open for future mods without re-mapping the fuel system in a reliable manner I'll be happy. The Stage 1 intake I bught with the exhaust package from VIC dealer you're saying should be replaced? My main concern is if the current intake trumps any potential gain from the Cobra.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Point well taken. My initial thoughts were based on judging the change based on how the bike runs after the mods by the actual performance on the road. I'm not that critical of whether I get few more marginal ponies going one way or another as much as the marketing from Cobra as being simple. At this point I'm not taking my mods any further (even though I said the same thing after the Stage 1 upgrade...).

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Looking at your current mods , and the new mods you speak of , you will not even need the cobra on your whip ..... If I were you I would return the cobra before I even opened it . A lot of fellas here tried to talk themselves into thinking the cobra was benefitting them , until they realized it was all a pipe dream . Get yourself a real tuner such as a VFC3 or PCV , and don't waste your money , but as of now , you shouldn't need a tuner . This is merely me , trying to help another Brother (you) out by saving him a lot of money . PS , disconnecting your 02 sensors may , or may not allow your bike to run a little richer , but if I were you I would disconnect them and see if the bike runs better . If no noticeable change , plug them back in .....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I will take the advise of this forum's overall experience. Thank for the posts....sending it back. Will stick to the Lloyds timing wheel and try the o2 disconnect for now.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I think I will take the advise of this forum's overall experience. Thank for the posts....sending it back. Will stick to the Lloyds timing wheel and try the o2 disconnect for now.
You have made a good decision , I believe you would not be happy otherwise . Make sure to let us know how you make out with the new mods , and we love pictures here too .cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The more and more I thought about it I have to say I bit into the marketing. I'm not ruling it out maybe down the road but I agree with you that I'm just a step above stock and the program set up at the dealer is fine for now. Will take baby steps...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Very nice scoot! Down the road if your after more power and need a fuel controller... Step right by the Cobra and head straight to the Power Commander. You will not need a dyno tune as there is enough maps you can obtain on here from people who have dyno tuned. However if you choose to milk all the ponies out and have an awesome running machine, the PCV is the only unit to have.

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
Nice motor-sickle mate!
Youll get all the 'good oil' here!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts