Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled and replaced the plugs on my CC. Take a look and make your assessments. All input welcome..............well, it won't be deleted. :cool:
Gas Engineering Auto part Circuit component Machine
Household hardware Gas Auto part Metal Nickel

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
Plug tips seem okay. You are not blowing the water out of your spark plug wells after washing the bike or riding in the riding it in the rain. This is the cause of the rust seen in these pictures.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Tip worn. Not anything uncommon. Since unleaded fuel it is almost impossible to do the old style "plug check" for burn etc. But with fuel injection dont really need it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plug tips seem okay. You are not blowing the water out of your spark plug wells after washing the bike or riding in the riding it in the rain...
:unsure:......guilty on both counts.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
The rust issue leads me to think plugs should be replaced every 3-4 years for anyone who rides. We know we will get in the rain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’d say your plugs look pretty good. Clearly your bike is not using any oil, which is a good sign. Normal wear on them, and yep, what others said about the water and rust, but I never get around to blowing out the water around the plugs on my Vegas after I wash it either. I still have my origI also plugs installed, and each time I pull them to inspect, they look good, so i gap them and reinstall.
Cheers

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just pulled and replaced the plugs on my CC. Take a look and make your assessments. All input welcome..............well, it won't be deleted. :cool:
View attachment 258004 View attachment 258004 View attachment 258004 View attachment 258005
Well they needed replacing, centre electrodes are a bit eroded. Unleaded fuel makes it harder to read the plugs for correct mixture, but they look OK. No cracked off ceramic from around the centre electrode from bad detonation, outer electrode not blistered from prolonged running lean. How many miles on the engine? Were you happy with how it was running before you replaced them?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well they needed replacing, centre electrodes are a bit eroded. Unleaded fuel makes it harder to read the plugs for correct mixture, but they look OK. No cracked off ceramic from around the centre electrode from bad detonation, outer electrode not blistered from prolonged running lean. How many miles on the engine? Were you happy with how it was running before you replaced them?
Some astute observations and questions. Actually not sure of the total miles but it was ALOT! Changed them as I was prepping for my first 'long ride' since last summer and had noticed a little 'pinging' lately. Pinging was not detected during the this long weekend ride (over 2,000 mi.) and there was a somewhat noticeable improvement in fuel consumption. My primary impetus for posting the pic of the plugs in the first place was to provide some 'physical proof' of what a good dyno-tune can accomplish. I seriously doubt I would have gone as long as I did on that set if overall performance had not continued to be reasonable and acceptable. And, yes, the plug change made a difference in both previously mentioned items.

·
Registered
111 Posts
+1

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Glad you got those changed! We're they easy to get out since they were rusted like that?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts