Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 v92c with 5k miles on it for $1800. The bike has been sitting for 3 years. Besides changing the oil, brake fluid, and gas (replacing with 93 octane with some seafoam), any suggestions? Obviously I'm going to inspect the fuel lines, not sure how well the rubber was treated though it was allegedly stored in a climate controlled warehouse. I've read there are "chunk filters" on the tank that I'm assuming I should probably check too, but no mention of it in the service manual online. Can I just use a wire hanger to pull those puppies out and clean em?

Also, being this is a 2001, I know the tranny is supposed to be better but still prone to 2nd/3rd gear issues. According to Polaris' website, there is a safety recall for the cushion sprocket drive. Is that still in effect? Can I actually take this bike in to get the cushion kit installed by the dealer? There's no mention of a deadline, and being that this thing has such little mileage and has been sitting for so long, I sincerely doubt it was ever done.
(Safety Recall - 2001 Victory Motorcycles & 99-00 With Early Trans Kits - Rear Sprocket Cushion Drive | Polaris Industries)

Appreciate the advice. This is now my second victory. I think I'm hooked. I can definitely tell you I don't see myself going back to a Harley. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Welcome mate, congratulations I think it is amazing , 1800 $ and only 5000 miles ... how is this possible ??

Can you check the year of the tires ? after 5 years they must be replaced ..

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, figured tires were gonna go. Even if they were only purchased 3 years ago (which I doubt but wont know til I go pick it up), just sitting there for that long, I'm not taking a chance on the only thing between me and the pavement. ;) Yeah, I was pretty damn surprised on the price. I've already got a kingpin, didn't need or want a second bike, but I just COULDN'T pass it up, right? I'm not the only one that thinks that? Hell, my boys are 8 and 9, maybe this can be the family legacy bike that I get to hand down to them with such low mileage. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
yeah , great score there mate!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Great Bike! Unfortunately, VERY doubtful on the miles. 2000 and 2001's needed upgrade to charging system and upgrade on instrument cluster. Battery inside old cluster would drain bike battery dead. When that happened, the odometer reset itself to ZERO miles. Because of that, there are A LOT of "LOW MILEAGE" 00 and 01's floating around........

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh! Good to know. I'll see it in person on Thursday. It's been sitting in storage for 4 years, the pictures I saw had it buried behind dirt bikes, a project car, and another bike. Makes me think he had way too many toys to ride this one much. Any signs I should be looking for that would assist in determining real age? I kinda figure if it has the original tires on it at least that would tell me it hasn't been ridden in years. Other than that, I have not a clue of anything that would normally fail and be visible at X miles. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Heh! Good to know. I'll see it in person on Thursday. It's been sitting in storage for 4 years, the pictures I saw had it buried behind dirt bikes, a project car, and another bike. Makes me think he had way too many toys to ride this one much. Any signs I should be looking for that would assist in determining real age? I kinda figure if it has the original tires on it at least that would tell me it hasn't been ridden in years. Other than that, I have not a clue of anything that would normally fail and be visible at X miles. Thanks.
doesn't matter how many Miles, if the bike run's good, looks good, then you have a good buy, ride it like you stole it, I read a lot on this forum, and kinda agree with that .... hi hi

Andre using
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya and I intend to ride the hell out of it. Would love to make it a family bike that I could hand down to my boys when they get older. Ya know I guess I'm willing to believe low miles when I see something like this 04 suzuki marauder on ebay with only 8k miles

Suzuki Marauder | eBay

I can tell you I went through a dyna wide glide, and a Vulcan 1500 that never felt right. Maybe I did 1k a year on them. With the kingpin I finally bought heated gear cuz I wanna keep riding it. Now if only I could find a way to ride with one leg on the v92 and the other on the pin... ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay picked up the bike. It's starting but won't stay running. Has fresh gas. Has new battery. Oh and lucky me has updated odometer with 7 K miles not 5. Has been sitting for about 5 years. Going to try swapping fuel filter and checking chunk screens first. Sounds like the fuel pump is initializing forever as in it never seems to stop. Any suggestions in addition to filter and trunk screen? Fuel pump I guess I will have to check for a replacement. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before going that route, my dear friend Richard Marcinko, creator of Seal Team Six taught me years ago in all his books, KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid. I decided to drain all the "fresh gas" the previous owner supposedly put in and put in my own 93 octane with some seafoam, and after about 5 or tries, it kicked over and stayed running. I tried turning it off and on again a couple of times and she's running right at 1000 rpm. The buzzing sound I heard was not in fact the fuel pump, it turns out its the turn signal relay buzzing like there is no tomorrow. Off to pick one up and put on some new tires, and then I can ride the biatch! YES! Oh, and damn is this thing loud and sweet. Feels like a fatboy should feel, can't wait to ride it.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Sounds like you got an awesome deal! Now to ride it like you stole it....you basically did! :devil

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So heres where Im at:

Purchase price + delivery $1650
Replaced air filter (and removed the virtual nest of leaves) new K&N reusable $60
Swapped rims $320 (old spoke rims were nasty pitted, nice to have mags and no tubes)
New Tires (with installation) $295
Cleaned throttle bodies
Replaced spark plugs
Replaced rusty grips $35
Lubed clutch cable
Replaced fuel filter (with purolator that I use for my ford focus) $10
Total so far:
$2370

Now I've got forks that are seized. I'm sure as hell not willing to play with that myself for many reasons. If I drop it at a shop, I'd be looking at minimum 4 hours labor to take it apart, check seals, bushings, and fluid. Hopefully it's a small fix, but I figure I'd be looking at about another $450 to get it straight. Then there's massive popping on the exhaust. The previous owner drilled out the baffles and its basically a straight pipe, which I imagine its running lean as hell. I managed to pick up an exhaust from an 04 kingpin which seems to have the same lines as the v92 (checked the angles against my kingpin to compare) for $50 from ebay. So what would you all do, go for a chip or try the kingpin exhaust and see if the popping goes away, or is this a model where I can get a flash download from the dealer for straight pipes (and if so, how much does that run)? In all, I'd be looking at about $3000 into this bike, is it worth it? Seems like resale on these is LOOOOOW and as it is with 50/50 custody of the kids, I don't have nearly as much time to ride as I'd like. Whaddaya all think? I figure no matter what, I gotta get the forks done even if I resell. What do I do next with the pipes? Thanks for the advice

·
13,003 Posts
All Vic's pop there is no way to get away from it.

say can you pull the fork tubes at home and then take to dealer. You'll save money that way. Or when they charne the front tire have them do fork seals that should save you some money

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Pictures of your amaizing buy please .... It is easy to do your forks yourself

·
Registered
262 Posts
No Pictures? Really, we need pictures

1 - 20 of 49 Posts