Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I've had legendary suspension issues on my 2013 Ducati Diavel (seriously, Motorcycle Consumer News did an article on it) and finally gave up. I"m 5'2 and 105-pounds, so trying to get the stiff bones in the limited space of the suspension on the Duc was nearly impossible. 5 shocks, 4 custom, plus Ohlins building me a shock part-by-part and no resolve. Obviously, I loved the bike, but host long-distance motorcycle events for a living (NutupRally.com) so needed comfort. No bike fit me. Enter my new (to me) 2016 Vegas 8 Ball :D.

I'd like to cross over and make it into a bagger. Hoping I can get confirmation that the Kingpin rear fender is a direct bolt-on swap out without needing any additional holes drilled. Also curious how much those XC hard bags drag in the twisties...I'm accustomed to a 40-degree lean angle, so this will be new for me.

The front fairing is also a point of concern as I've seen a lot of them that end up looking like the bike's headlight is kind of looking downward. Seems like a lot of real estate between the headlight and top of the fairing, so wouldn't mind any suggestions there.

And finally, I'd *really* like to hear from anyone who has installed the Llyodz big bore kit and get an idea of the performance enhancements.

Thanks, I'm excited to be part of this community and am grateful for any feedback you can provide :D.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
why didnt you buy a Cross Country to start with, much much better ground clearance lean angle wise.
I ride both a Vegas and a Cross Country so know the pros and cons of both.
Id suggest you ride an XC before you get in too deep on the Vegas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, I really wish I could do the XC.

Because my inseam is 26" if measured to the ankle, 28 to the floor. Plus, I'm 105-pounds and, to be honest, I got my fill lifting the V-Rod Muscle and having to manhandle that beautiful pig for 25,000 miles. I was laid up for a few years from a motorcycle incident, so a smaller, ligher-weight bike is a requirement. I did ride a XC...pretty heavy for me, which makes it a serious consideration on the reservation roads that are tiny and covered in that very fine desert dusty dirt.

Believe me, I've looked at all of the options over the past 5 years of owning the Diavel. This is the best fitting bike that has any potential for a decent performance range I could find.

·
Registered
263 Posts
With regard to the big bore, you have two options. You have Lloydz and you have Revolution Performance (Victory Motorcycles - Revolution Performance.)

Lots of variables depending on what additional work you want done (heads, valves, clutch, etc.) It would be best to talk directly to the makers.

Lloydz has other options that you may want to explore like super charger and turbo.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Yes I have one bike big bore ( Vegas) with cams etc its in my sig.
and XC is standard bore.
Being used to a Diavel and V-Rod youre gonna notice a power defecit, though I can stay with a V-Rod on my Vegas and I know which bike Id want to be doing 500 mile days on!
If I was doing it all again Id stay with the stock nikasil bore and go the cams, intake , exhaust route.
Given dissasembly machining reassembly and parts cost a bolt on Supercharger would probably be the way to go, should give you a good shove down the road.
Welcome to the forum from the land DownUnder ( Australia mate!)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Sam, you can make the Vegas gitty-up and go there is no question there, the 106 has LOTS of power to dig out....but you are not going to get cornering performance out of a Vegas. Its a cruiser, bar-hopper and drag racer, the Vegas is seriously lacking the ground clearance and geometry for any kind of real "performance" riding. And....hell yes!! hanging a set of CC bags of the Vegas's ass end is going to make handling even worse. You're right on the fairing, I've not seen one fairing on a Victory cruiser that looks like its supposed to be there...I personally do not like any Vic cruiser to bagger conversions that I've seen, there's something not right about it(no offense, to anyone that's riding one....riding an ugly bike is your choice .. :ltr: )

If your willing to deal with the handling issues of the Vegas and want to start ring more power out of the bike, your best gains are going to be from adding Lloydz Torque tubes intake, cams, a good exhaust. Of course you'll need a good and proper tuning. Maximus remote tuning is working really well and is probably the best way to tune available for Vics. Then there's the Power Commander-V which will require a trip to a good dyno-tuner for best results.

Or you could just pig-out on carbs until you're heavy enough for the awesome Diavel .... :wink

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Yeah back to basics on a Vegas ridden hard
It can be done, Ive had 5 years of fun on mine Youll need at least a Progressive 465 rear
shock, one inch longer than stock, and go right through the forks with gold valves and RaceTech springs, .. I did all that, then fitted a Kingpin USD fork setup
Adopt a careful riding style ..Slow in Fast out. and wear those pegs down, youll need to hang off it sportsbike style, upside is you dont weigh much!
Once the handling is all set up and youre happy to dump bucketloads more money into it, then work on the performance.

On the other hand Im pretty sure a lowered XC would outmanouvre a well set up Vegas.
Or the Crossroads if yr not into fairings stereo cruise control and such.
A well set up Crossroads aint that much bigger or heavier than a Vegas, and has all the plusses of a Cross bike.

Hate to sound like a wet blanket but you could easily throw a ton of money into something that still dont satisfy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sam, you can make the Vegas gitty-up and go there is no question there, the 106 has LOTS of power to dig out....but you are not going to get cornering performance out of a Vegas. Its a cruiser, bar-hopper and drag racer, the Vegas is seriously lacking the ground clearance and geometry for any kind of real "performance" riding. And....hell yes!! hanging a set of CC bags of the Vegas's ass end is going to make handling even worse. You're right on the fairing, I've not seen one fairing on a Victory cruiser that looks like its supposed to be there...I personally do not like any Vic cruiser to bagger conversions that I've seen, there's something not right about it(no offense, to anyone that's riding one....riding an ugly bike is your choice .. :ltr: )

If your willing to deal with the handling issues of the Vegas and want to start ring more power out of the bike, your best gains are going to be from adding Lloydz Torque tubes intake, cams, a good exhaust. Of course you'll need a good and proper tuning. Maximus remote tuning is working really well and is probably the best way to tune available for Vics. Then there's the Power Commander-V which will require a trip to a good dyno-tuner for best results.

Or you could just pig-out on carbs until you're heavy enough for the awesome Diavel .... :wink
I've seen a few Highball/Kingpin conversions that mounted a rear fender with the saddlebags from the Cross bikes that were pretty good. If you just add the bags to them, the lines are off and they DEFINITELY look out of place. Other than that, I agree with PaiN on the fairings, any batwing style just looks like someone left a sheet of plastic on the bike on a hot day in the Nevada desert.

LOL to the "Riding Ugly"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ugh, I've responded and it hasn't posted. I need to learn this forum better!

I tried the lowered XC, loved it, but the weight is a HUGE factor when you're 105-pounds. I've done my time on big bikes and am going for comfort now.

I've given up on the XC and Crossroads, am happy with the Vegas. Just seeing what I can do to make it more 'right' for me.

Will probably go for a windshield/windscreen and drop the idea of a fairing. Thinking of throwing some apes on and mounting handlebar speakers from UTV purpose supplier. Bag in the back might be the Easy Strong with a custom Z bracket to get them closer to the rear fender...might have my body and paint guy shape the rear fender a bit to fit better. This wouldn't affect the lean.

Not looking for a Diavel replacement, I still have that bike for when I want fast. Just looking for comfort and long-distance.

Am swinging by Bitchin' Stitching when I pick up the bike, they think they can shape the seat for me and charge $150. All I need it about 1/2 inch on either side shaved down so it doesn't hurt my inner thighs. It's perfect while riding, just stopping at lights was getting to me after only 3 miles...

Calling Llyodz in the morning...hoping not to install a supercharger, lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So hard bags....let's talk!

I'm sourcing and pricing out parts and it really looks like I'll have to switch out the rear fender to a Kingpin, does anyone know what year Kingpin rear fender will work with my 2016 Vegas 8 Ball? Is this truly a direct swap out / bolt on?

·
Registered
262 Posts
You may want to look at sourcing the soft bags from the Cross Roads Classic if you are going with the kingpin Fender. They seem to blend a little better than the hard bags.

(pic is from the VOG thread on this project)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
windshield/fairing

Samantha I have had a XR(Cross Roads) since 2011 bought it new. I put up with the factory Victory windshield for a year or so, got rid of it, buffeting. From your bikes you had before it appears you like a little more sporty ride to me. So anyway I did install a new windshield on my XR, searched the web and found an MRA windshield out Germany I believe. It looks more like an adventure type bike windshield. I got the one with the small adjustable spoiler on top. Back then when I bought it I believe it was around $175. Also the windshield I got is tinted. The one I purchased is one of their larger shields which is small compared to most. For me it has been a good shield providing me with plenty of coverage and not all the buffeting the factory piece of junk had. Good luck with your new ride. Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses, this is great! I should have noted on the fairing that I don't need it for (much) wind protection as I am so small (and have never had a proper windshield). But when I add hard bags to the bike the rear end is going to look out of place and very 'heavy', so a bit of bite in the front would be in order. I'm planning on some kind of cool ape bars, pulled back for my reach comfort. Considering the middle range of a Rifle Fairing but am unsure it will mount on the Vegas? Their website is not very helpful...

I'm pretty sure I'd like to have the hard bags, I tire of having not having them. Kingpin fender, XC bags, fillers of some kind and proper brackets should cover me. *Should*.

Regarding the performance...I'm getting talked out of the Big Bore due to longevity concerns. At my size, there are not decent motorcycles out there for comfort and (slight) performance and if I'm investing this kind of time and money into the mods, I'll want/need this bike to stay around for quite a while. I ride about 15,000 miles annually, so longevity is key and my engines need to stay happy, not overtaxed. I've got a call scheduled with Lloydz for tomorrow, and reserve the right to be talked out of this conservative approach, lol.

My pipes are not anything special, but one step above stock. Am trying to budget some good ones, am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
263 Posts
IF you decide to go big bore and you don’t consider the Revolution Performance option you will be doing yourself an injustice. Lloydz is great, and has many happy customers, but they use a sleeve. RP bores and coats/plates so the jugs are like OEM. With the sleeve option you need to be more careful with engine warm-up.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
any engine should be warmed up properly before use, stock pistons in a Nikasil bore are more forgiving in this respect.
My big bore Lloydz kit has Wiseco forged pistons, and these must be brought up to temp as forged expand more than cast pistons.
Hence must be assembled with more clearance.
Revving the engine before proper warm up can and will cause engine damage from the piston rattling around in the bore.
mine , a 100cube up to 109cube now, performs great specially with the big cams, Torquetubes and RPW Slash exhaust,
It does however use oil, about a quart between changes, not a problem, I keep an eye on it and oil is cheap.
On a trip of thousand miles or more I do every year I carry some oil in my saddlebags.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Of course all engines should be warmed properly, that goes without saying. Bottom line is more care, and in your case feeding, is needed for the sleeved BB vs the Nic. FWIW it is not normal for an 4-cycle to burn oil like you describe. But to each his own.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Of course all engines should be warmed properly, that goes without saying. Bottom line is more care, and in your case feeding, is needed for the sleeved BB vs the Nic. FWIW it is not normal for an 4-cycle to burn oil like you describe. But to each his own.
Dont they use Forged pistons with the Nikasil lined bores?
which big bore have you got?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts