Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time came for my second oil change, and I decided to go with Amsoil 10/40 and the EAOM-103 filter. Hopin' it works well, and I believe it will. Found it locally for 10.75/qt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I run Amsoil 20w50 in my Vision. Seems to keep drivetrain noise to a minimum. First time I've ever used an Amsoil product. I still run the Victory oil filter though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Time came for my second oil change, and I decided to go with Amsoil 10/40 and the EAOM-103 filter. Hopin' it works well, and I believe it will. Found it locally for 10.75/qt.
Its been reported that the EAOM-103 has less filter material than other filters. I have used them without problems, but I think that a cheaper wix or even a wal-mart brand would work just as well. Always, do your research. I don't think I would use a fram unless it was thier top of line filter.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its been reported that the EAOM-103 has less filter material than other filters. I have used them without problems, but I think that a cheaper wix or even a wal-mart brand would work just as well. Always, do your research. I don't think I would use a fram unless it was thier top of line filter.
The one I'm using is the Amsoil filter. Not Fram. If that's what you mean.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The one I'm using is the Amsoil filter. Not Fram. If that's what you mean.
I would never use a fram filter.
What I'm talking about is that the Wix or a champion fliter would probably work as good as the Amsoil filter.
A few years ago I was useing the Amsoil filter when this thread was posted where this guy sawed the filters that he had in half and disassembled them. He stated that the Amsoil filter used good material, but not very much. Puralotor and bosch were his favorites. I should also point out that a couple of people posted that the Amsoil filter did clog up. This was on a honda VTX forum. The Victory's have a lot of oil pressure according to the manual, so this ( clogging up ) may not be a problem.
I have saved the victory oil filter and I am currently useing a Wix. When I change my oil again I will cut both of them in half and see whats inside.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that a Wix or one of the champion brands will work as good as the Amsoil brand and cost a lot less. I don't know if the Amsoil clogging problem will matter on this bike.

·
12,984 Posts
I use the Amsoil 10w40 cause what I have read 90% of motor wear comes when you first start the bike up.
Wix filters for me p/n 51358 or 51356 very cheap at any auto parts store and have a very high rating for usages.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fyi

FYI, NAPA Filters are made by Wix. The NAPA Gold filter is an excellent filter that is readily available.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use the Amsoil 10w40 cause what I have read 90% of motor wear comes when you first start the bike up.
Wix filters for me p/n 51358 or 51356 very cheap at any auto parts store and have a very high rating for usages.
Yea I think that a Wix or Napa filter is just as good. I believe that they are at 30 microns. Oil should flow pretty good through them while still filtering.
Here is something to thing about. You use a 10w40 grade oil to ensure that good lubrication happens at start-up. I understand that this is a stretch, but, because the oil flows at much greater gallon per minute than the manufacturer requires the cushion it provides may be to thin during start-up. So the oil thickens up after a little bit and is just fine when warm, but maybe to thin at start-up. Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I have an 11,000 mile 2011 XR. I don't know what oil the owner before me was running. Will there be any issue with switching to Amsoil now?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I know there are oil upon oil posts. Just curious and looking for a quick answer. Upon changing to Amsoil the drive train noise was reduced by how much?? Noticeable?? Thanks. I use Victory oil and the noise does not really bother me but it would be nice to quiet it down a little.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why would anyone want to use any oil filter but the factory Victory ? I would think that they would design a filter that would be good enough for the bikes they are building. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Ok to change.

WJMCrossroads it's ok to change over. Your rings ought to be seated good. It will not hurt anything to change to the Amsoil now,it should just hopefully help it last longer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Why would anyone want to use any oil filter but the factory Victory ? I would think that they would design a filter that would be good enough for the bikes they are building. Just my opinion.
In my case, it is availability. Other sources are much closer.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
WJMCrossroads it's ok to change over. Your rings ought to be seated good. It will not hurt anything to change to the Amsoil now,it should just hopefully help it last longer.
Your answer is correct, though his rings would seat even if he used it from the first time it was ever started. Many companies sell their vehicles with Synth in them from the get go and they break in just fine.

Synthetic oil isn't more slippery, it simply loses its viscosity at a slower rate so you can go a little longer between changes. Of course going longer has other issues like corrosive chemical buildup in the oil.

In any event, Consumer Reports did a study on NY Taxis many years back (I'm sure Google can find it) and found that even with all their abuse, using conventional or synthetic oil and changing it every 6k miles for like 60k miles (IIRC) resulted in the same outcome. Once they pulled the engines apart and analyzed the components they found both to be in pristine shape.

Conclusion, buy what you like and change it now and then and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great oil information

Looking for my regular running oil after break-in. Found this on the internet...great info about oil...

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

And Filters...

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

I used to buy Wix exclusively, now I am looking for the Pure One! Read and find out why!

He (they) seem to have done quite a bit of research about the topics listed...great general motorcycle info as well.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/

I spent about 2-3 hours reading a bunch of stuff...I'm all edjumacated now :crzy:

I think I'm going to follow his recommendations on the Rotella T6. I am beginning to think that Victory specified 20W-40 in order to steer us towards their oil (Lube-Tech), as other brands are hard to find in those viscosities. Sounds like corporate railroading to me.:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts