Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding from Columbia, SC to Augusta, GA today and as soon as I got on I-20 an expedition almost ran me off the road. I was traveling in the right lane doing 65 when this jackass came flying up in the left lane and swerved into my lane to pass a slower moving vehicle in the left lane. I moved further right in the lane and he barely missed clipping my front tire with the back of his vehicle. I thought to myself when this happened that it was going to be a long ride and that I needed to be extra careful. Fast forward about 40 miles and the truck in front of me swerved from the right lane to the left out of nowhere. It wasn't until then that I saw a complete tire right in the center of the lane. Again luckily I was able to move right and avoid it. To top it all off towards the end of the ride somebody was doing a controlled burn on the side of the interstate so there was smoke everywhere. I was glad to park my bike and get off when I got back to Augusta!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Cagers that don't notice motorcyles?!? It's part of riding a bike! Always expect stupidy an always leave yourself an out because stupidity can cross your path at anytime with little or no notice.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Cagers that don't notice motorcyles?!? It's part of riding a bike! Always expect stupidy an always leave yourself an out because stupidity can cross your path at anytime with little or no notice.
what? You are blaming cagers being stupid?

I think you are way out of line when in fact you should be pointing your finger at motorcyclists! Kidding of course...... :ltr::ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
awe shiiii....

Found out myself about 3 weeks ago coming home from work a couple of things. Yes the brakes work good on my XRs, but not not as good as my old bike which was much lighter. Ended up locking up the rear and letting off to the rear,but those dual front disc just were not slowing me down quick enough. It was a butt pucker moment for sure. Yes I got to leave more space to stop, try to look ahead even harder to anticipate any problems. Yes cagers are crazy, no I am not a perfect rider, been riding on the street since 1978. Oh and yes I am going to get some better front brake pads. Lets all be careful out there.thumb up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasn't exactly surprising to me that it happened, but I was just so pissed off because there is no way that guy didn't see me. He just did not care that I was there. Just glad I was able to keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Been driving big rigs for 20 years, these last 10 with a company hell bent safety, which I like by the way. They train us in 15 and 7. 15 secs eye lead and 7 secs following distance. For car or bike 7 secs following distance might be over kill but you bet it leaves you with plenty of time to react. I try follow these rules in my cage and my bike as much a possible.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
I learned a long time ago to watch out for Expeditions. One must have to get their a$$hole license before they can buy one. I won't bother you with all the Expedition horror stories I have experienced as the OP's is an excellent example. BMW drivers come in a close second in the aggressive jerk department and Volvo drivers are just plain oblivious. All-in-all, we riders have to be extremely alert, for those cage drivers are becoming more aggressive and/or inattentive. Don't assume anything - be prepared for everything.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm driving down 66 in my company pickup last week in broad daylight. The road is practically empty. A tanker up ahead is pulled off half way onto the grass but streetside is still hugging the travel lane.
I can see all this way ahead of me because we do not abide corners in Eastern Colorado.
Look in the rearview and maybe a quarter mile back is a car and behind it I can see the headlights of a couple of bikes.
I put on my blinker as I approached the truck to let him know I would not be piling into him. Nothing in the other lane for about a quarter mile so at about 60 I just straddled the line and as I went past him I put the blinker on right turn and sidled back into my lane.
I just barely missed crushing that nitwit on the crotchrocket that took the line between me halfway in the middle of the road and the tanker halfway off the road. He blew through at a good clip and his buddy, apparently the sane one, was rolling too but using appropriate lanes to prosecute his mission.
Stupid comes in all shapes and is not confined to four wheels. Darwin sorts this stuff out.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I was riding from Columbia, SC to Augusta, GA today and as soon as I got on I-20 an expedition almost ran me off the road. I was traveling in the right lane doing 65 when this jackass came flying up in the left lane and swerved into my lane to pass a slower moving vehicle in the left lane. I moved further right in the lane and he barely missed clipping my front tire with the back of his vehicle. I thought to myself when this happened that it was going to be a long ride and that I needed to be extra careful. Fast forward about 40 miles and the truck in front of me swerved from the right lane to the left out of nowhere. It wasn't until then that I saw a complete tire right in the center of the lane. Again luckily I was able to move right and avoid it. To top it all off towards the end of the ride somebody was doing a controlled burn on the side of the interstate so there was smoke everywhere. I was glad to park my bike and get off when I got back to Augusta!

I believe you have people out to kill you, have you pissed people off lately?

:crzy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts