Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stage one exhaust mapping and K & N filter. Bike is in basement for the winter. How is the filter serviced.

·
Registered
442 Posts
How long has the air filter oiled element been in use? they don't need to be washed very often at all- like years between service unless you've ridden through a sandstorm!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
This is a video posted by K&N, you don't have to use all of their products but you get the idea here ...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Any of your local auto parts store should have the K&N filter recharge kit for around 15 bucks. It comes with the cleaning solution and the oil. Spray the cleaning solution let it soak for a few minutes, wash it with cold water then let it dry (it takes a long time for that sucker to dry up) spray the oil and put it back in. I cleaned mine couple of months back and I don't think it was ever cleaned before because damn that thing was dirty. But then again my bike is 8 years old. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I am over doing it, but I have my bike in the basement for the winter and giving it a good going over and adding goodies. It has 7000 Kilometres, that's french for miles on it. It look pretty grey at the top end.
Thanks for comments.

·
Registered
442 Posts
most i would do is shoot some compressed air through the filter from a reasonable distance (removed from the bike) in the *opposite* direction of the normal airflow. No need to wash and re-oil with that few kilometers on it...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Get the recharge kit. It works great. I clean mine every 5000 miles. I wouldn't blow compressed air through the filter. It may damage the filter. The dirt is stuck on the oil the only thing that will blow off are the bugs.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have stage one exhaust mapping and K & N filter. Bike is in basement for the winter. How is the filter serviced.
I think the video probably shows the how to fine, but you reminded me of something. I bought the stage 1 kit and somewhere I read that that comes with a high flow filter. Is that the K&N or did you buy your filter separately?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought a K&N filter first then later bought a stage 1 kit and the filters were the same. Having two filters is nice. I can change to a clean filter and ride off while the other is drying.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had dozens of cotton oiled filters on cars and bikes, K&N, AirRaid, you name it. I agree they don't have to be cleaned very often..maybe 5k miles if you live in a real dusty climate like I do.

The MOST common mistake people make is over-oiling. You only need a thin coat of oil on these filters. Too much and you start fouling MAF's and gumming up the works. Better to err on the side not enough than too much.

·
Registered
357 Posts
most i would do is shoot some compressed air through the filter from a reasonable distance (removed from the bike) in the *opposite* direction of the normal airflow. No need to wash and re-oil with that few kilometers on it...
DO NOT USE AIR! Use K&N cleaning spray,wash with warm soapy water,let dry then reoil.Once a yr is ok on street bikes.My ATVs and dirt bikes get ever couple rides.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've had dozens of cotton oiled filters on cars and bikes, K&N, AirRaid, you name it. I agree they don't have to be cleaned very often..maybe 5k miles if you live in a real dusty climate like I do.

The MOST common mistake people make is over-oiling. You only need a thin coat of oil on these filters. Too much and you start fouling MAF's and gumming up the works. Better to err on the side not enough than too much.
Agreed. Follow the oiling instructions to the T. It will seem like it's not enough. Don't be tempted to use more or the above can happen, or at least seepage. Allow the time for the oil to wick and cover the entire element- it can take time and you may have "white" spots for up to 24 hours until the oil has fully wicked.

but i still don't think your application needs re-oiling at this point. your choice.

·
Premium Member
13,284 Posts
As a money saver or if in crunch; you can use a good quality dish soap to loosen and remove the old oil and the dirt. Let dry and spray with mineral oil. The K&N oil is basically just mineral oil. As mentioned; don't over do it.

I wouldn't use any high pressure air on it but that's your choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts