Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I did a search. :)

I have a 2004 Vegas bone stock except for the drilled out back plate on the stock mufflers. Looking from the back they look like a six shooter. Do I need a remap for add a K&N only replacement filter?

I bought the bike Saturday and I checked the plugs along with everything else and they where between dark tan to light brown so the mixture is right there.

·
Registered
357 Posts
MIne has the same thing done w/K&N and the shop that did said the computer would compensate for the extra air being that it isnt that big of an increase.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If your talking the drop in (or slide in) the stock replacement filters from K&N are designed to flow the same amount of air as the stock Vic. paper filter Just so they don't mess with your ECM.
Count the pleats in the paper filter and the K&N. Surface area makes them flow the same. Except you let more grit in with the K&N.

·
Registered
396 Posts
dont waste your money on a k&n,
if you want performance gains go with a
s&s intakethumb up.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If your talking the drop in (or slide in) the stock replacement filters from K&N are designed to flow the same amount of air as the stock Vic. paper filter Just so they don't mess with your ECM.
Count the pleats in the paper filter and the K&N. Surface area makes them flow the same. Except you let more grit in with the K&N.
A properly maintaned K&N will flow more air plus filter better than a paper element.In exreem conditions you need to run a prefilter.I ran K&N on my 500 Scrambler for yrs with no problems.Also have one on my Harley and never have to rejet.The main thingis clean and reoil regularlly.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an oil report for my Ford Ranger I off road with That has a K&N. Here the dirt is like flower and under the hood it would have sand dunes but the oil report showed minimal silicon levels. They said this motor must have been assembled with white gloves.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thats what oil rings are for, to keep it on the top end and blow it out the exhuast.
How much gas you got in your oil? Thats about as much as gets by the oil rings. Testing your oil will not tell you how much grit is waring the upper end of the cyls.
A grit and fuel mix in the top end won't get past good rings.thumb up

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats what oil rings are for, to keep it on the top end and blow it out the exhuast.
How much gas you got in your oil? Thats about as much as gets by the oil rings. Testing your oil will not tell you how much grit is waring the upper end of the cyls.
A grit and fuel mix in the top end won't get past good rings.thumb up
Agreed you make a valid point.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I'll toss my hat in the ring on this subject...

There's nothing wrong with running a properly oiled K&N. I've used them on several cars that maxed out a DynoJet 248H chassis dyno rated at 1,200hp/1,200tq and never had a problem with them.

As far as their filtering ability, my personal street race car I sold a year ago will let you make your own call. I bought it ten years ago with its sole purpose being built for making money street racing with drag radials and ALOT of nitrous. The last time I put a fresh set of heads with Cometic gaskets on it the short-block had 100k miles on it, a couple hundred 15lbs bottles of nitrous ran threw it, had never been freshened up, and had the same K&N filter ran in it it's entire life. All the cylinder walls still showed the original cross-hatching marks from the original machine work.

·
Registered
774 Posts
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filter-filtration-test/
Plus they are a rip off. Can buy a lot of paper filters for their price and not have the mess.
Wait till you find little black pieces of the wire mesh loose inside them when new. Don't go look now, you already sucked them through. If new, tap them on a white paper towel before installing.thumb up

·
Registered
368 Posts
1 pair isn't "A Lot"

Plus they are a rip off. Can buy a lot of paper filters for their price and not have the mess.
Local dealer was out of Vic filters for my bike. If they'd had one, the price is $20. Two stock filters = 1 pair, not "a lot" vs $40 for the K&N.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts