Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I did a search on the forum and didn't find my answer so sorry if this has already been discussed before. I'll do my second oil change on my Hammer soon and I would like to have some inputs from K&N oil filter users here. I want to know if the tickling noise at the start-up is quieter. They are build with an anti drain back valve so I guess that it should be better at start-up because the oil don't return completely at the base of the engine. I always used them on my cars and bikes before without any problems. I first tried K&N on a Chevy V6 3,4L and it really helped with the valve noise at start-up due to the hydraulic lifters, especially during winter so I'm curious to know if they can do the same on a Victory engine. Thanks !

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The K&N filter is just a Hiflo filter with a $8 nut welded to the end of it. Not a terrible filter just not as good as the eaOm103 Amsoil nanofiber filter or a Wix...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
12,970 Posts
80% of the guys use a WIX filter and oil filters will not change the ticking noise on start up. The lefters bleed down when you shut the bike off and when you start the bike they pump back up. Wix p/n 51356

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I know that lifters bleed down when you shut the engine off with any model of filters but K&N have an anti drain back valve in them and my question was if people who tried them have seen a difference or not on their bikes. What's the main raison of using WIX filter instead of the one from Victory ?

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I know that lifters bleed down when you shut the engine off with any model of filters but K&N have an anti drain back valve in them and my question was if people who tried them have seen a difference or not on their bikes. What's the main raison of using WIX filter instead of the one from Victory ?
I'd hazard a guess that its price

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Most good filters have the anti drain back valve, personally I wouldn't take a K&N over an Amsoil nanofiber filter (drain back valve) or a Wix (in that order) ....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Mobil 1 M110

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Using Vic oil change kit n a box? Stick with the filter that it comes with. Changing oil to another brand? Use Wix as mentioned. Thinking about Amsoil? Use Amsoil's recommended filter.

I use Amsoil and there filter with great results.

·
12,970 Posts
Wix you can get at any auto parts store for $6.99 and they make filters for NAPA and others

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
quick flow = REAL synthetic oil

Amsoil may help, what's Vics 20-40 pour point? amsoil 10-40 is -51F better for cooler weather, their 20-50 pours at -40F. there are lots more benefits as well. i can not understand why anyone would run overpriced underperforming oil in their expensive victory engines, mobil I is another option as well. oh about the filter Wix who makes Vics filter is an excellent filter better than K+N from the tests i seen, amsoil's may be even better at a higher cost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the inputs.

I was thinking about trying Amsoil nanofilter and 10W40 oil but I can't find Amsoil products (oil and filter) around here. If Wix already make Victory filter, I stick with it for now. I'm surprised to see what I read about K&N, I was sure that their stuff was higher rated than that. There's a company here in Quebec who produced synthetic oil for motorcycle, Hypertech, and from what I read on forum here, people seem to be really satisfied with their product and many guys said that it helped a lot with valvetrain noises. They do 10W40 and 20W50 synthetic oil especially for V-Twin engine, I'll give it a try and let you know the results. Valvetrain is not so noisy on my bike, I heard it at start-up like other Victory do but I noticed that when the engine is hot, the sound come back sometimes and I don't like it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
amsoil is everywhere- by mail

we have an amsoil dealer that is a forum sponsor, not sure how it works delivering to canada, though he may be able to help. just searched and a toronto warehouse came up, you may not be trying hard enough.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Here's a link to the forum sponsor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts