Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to bite the bullet and go with a cleanable and reusable filter element for my XC. For me, it's worth the extra coin now, with all the benefits this type of oil filter offers. Looking forward to changing out the oil and filter this spring. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
I gave it some thought too and probably would have gotten at least one and maybe two since I have the two Vic's in the garage but at my age I would not have gotten a full return on this investment.

One thing I really like about them is you can easily see the metal particles when you clean it between oil changes. It's good to see if there is ever an increase or maybe a decrease if switching between oils.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good point.

I'm using the magnetic drain plug as well and with the magnet built into this filter, I'll have a good look at any metal particles during changes. When I switched to Amsoil after my 500 mile service, I should have gone with this filter at that time.

·
13,263 Posts
I don't see the benefit in it. You can get a Wix for $6.89. You would half to go threw 40 some Wix filters. I dought if filters any better then paper.
How you going to clean that screen filter. Carb cleaner. More out of pocket money. A lot of recycle oil places will not take oil with carb cleaner in it. I guess you just spray it off in back yard and kill the grass or in the kitchen sink. How many paper towels are you going to use. Now your spending what twenty minuets to clean it. Thats something. It doesn't keep the oil any cooler no matter what they say.
It just seams like I could take the money and buy a fuel tuner or a IAV or put towards cams.
I just don't see the benefit in it. not picking on any one just saying

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see the benefit in it. You can get a Wix for $6.89. You would half to go threw 40 some Wix filters. I dought if filters any better then paper.
How you going to clean that screen filter. Carb cleaner. More out of pocket money. A lot of recycle oil places will not take oil with carb cleaner in it. I guess you just spray it off in back yard and kill the grass or in the kitchen sink. How many paper towels are you going to use. Now your spending what twenty minuets to clean it. Thats something. It doesn't keep the oil any cooler no matter what they say.
It just seams like I could take the money and buy a fuel tuner or a IAV or put towards cams.
There's the beauty of how you don't see the value in this product and how I do see the value in this product. I'll agree to disagree. cheers

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
VJ, I don't often disagree with you, but this time I do.

I stated why I wouldn't buy one but also stated where I see the value. Do you not see the value in being able to see the contaminates in the oil? Yes, with some work and the right tools, you could open up a regular oil filter and see much of those same contaminates but how practical is that to do every oil change?

It isn't a big deal to keep a can of carb cleaner around to dip the filter in and clean it. probably use that same can for years and years because the sediment will fall to the bottom. Then a quick spray of spray carb cleaner would finish the job. One paper towel or shop rag and a tooth brush style brush would do it.

Also, from what I have read about oil filters, they don't always have the micron filtering they state it does. There is a range they will be in but it could be in the larger range where this cleanable filter will consistently clean the oil at the same micron rating over and over again almost indefinitely. Someone young enough to take advantage of these could use the same one on bike after bike over the years. At some point it will actually pay to use it.

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had one on my Kingpin. I did not buy it to save money.
I bought it because of the magnet and was easy to clean. It also looked very cool.:)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've had one for about a couple of years now. Saving money is not the reason to buy one of these so if that's your reason don't buy one. It takes a long time as has been mentioned to break even. The real benefit is in the filters performance as far as filtering and flow. Flow is very important to the oil cooling system our Vic's have. Also,most engine wear is caused at first start up on a cold engine and regular filters can impede the oils ability to counter this and that's where these filters make sense to get filtered oil to the engine quicker with less by-pass.

I've had the opportunity to clean mine a couple of times now and I have yet to find anything on it so that means there isn't that type of wear taking place or the filter is not catching it but I have no reason to believe it's not doing it's job. These things are rated for use in aircraft through the FAA's tight standards so I'm sure they should be more than adequate for our motorcycle engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with 40XC. In the drag racing world we use them for those exact reasons and to tell us what is going on inside the engine. Changing the oil every 1-3 passes these type filters are a must to see anything happening to the motor/bearings. For maintenance freaks like me I wouldn't have anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
One thing I am curious about is the oil ring seal, and how does the by-pass spring over time work or fail? Putting new in every oil change I do not worry about these two important things when I drive down the road. If you are at a track you do not have to go far for a failure. 300 miles from home then the engine starts to knock. Just my input and view point from past experiences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They have always had great longevity with us. My last tow vehicle had over 200,000 mile on it with this type of filter. I did use 2 of them switching every oil change but that still puts it over 100,000 mile on each filter. I can't honestly say I have put that many miles on a motorcycle filter but I personally would not be too worried as long as you inspect it good at the oil change. I also carry a spare o-ring just in case. One great thing about these filters is on start up with cold oil a paper filter element will go into by-pass and let UNFILTERED oil go through. These filters flow more and cut that down a ton. Also paper elements don't handle water well at all and all motors condensate some worse than others. I haven't had my Victory motor apart yet so I don't know how much these are prone to condensation issues. I admit I have a lot more experience with V-8's than V twins but I am starting to get into these more and more.

·
Registered
275 Posts
PRO: Buy 1 filter, 1 time

CON: Expensive up front, It's messy, should be washed in a Sonic Cleaner, and only 35 Micron.

I would much rather purchase a $13.00 disposable AMSOIL filter at 20 Micron Absolute and not have the mess to deal with and the worry if I got it clean enough.

Remember, the human eye can only see down to about 42 Micron. What are you leaving behind that you can't see.

Bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
I debated whether or not to jump into this fray as I have absolutely zero scientific data I can provide. Do these things work, yes. Are they collecting particles as small as other quality conventional filters, no. Right there is some give and take (compromise). Conventional filters may not filter oil at initial start up but the oil was filtered previously and will be filtered again once the bike is warmed up, which is rather early on. Just how much damage is being done, minimal at worst. These engines are not disintegrating over time. Any free radicals capable of actually causing measurable wear are going to get collected by a conventional filter.

To me there is no clear cut winner, no right or wrong. Only preference. If you have an engine producing meaningful amounts of metallic particles, you probably have other issues that need addressed.

My unscientific conclusion: the correct oil, a high quality filter and a modern engine with current manufactoring processes is good enough. To each their own but I'm passing on the fancy filter. Not because I doubt it, but because I know I don't need it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You are trying to keep out all contaminants, carbon being one of the biggest parts.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine! The oil filter, IS the Kidney that keeps it clean!

Now, it is all up to the individuals comfort level. I run AMSOIL 20 Micron Full Flow filters on everything I can.

On my pickup, I removed the factory fuel lift pump and 10 Micron filter and replaced it with an aftermarket pump and 2 Micron filter. I run the AMSOIL full flow oil filter but I also run a <2 Micron filter to keep the oil analytically clean.

Using this oil filter setup, I am at over 40,000 miles on the current oil change where OEM would be 3850 miles due to towing my 30' trailer.

Bob

·
Registered
774 Posts
35 microns, even the Hardly filters are down to 10.

·
13,263 Posts
You could add a magnetic oil drain plug to help catch any metal.
that way you would increase your chances of catching any metal that your filter missed.

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
You could add a magnetic oil drain plug to help catch any metal.
that way you would increase your chances of catching any metal that your filter missed.
Most wear points are made of a metal that a magnet would catch. Not all; but most.

You could even wrap a magnet around the oil filter or attach a good one right to the side of it. Then just switch it over to the new one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Way too much thought going into this.

I go 10,000 miles per change (twice recommended) using AMSOIL Motorcycle oil and the AMSOIL Oil Filter.

I have a magnetic drain plug and there is barely a film on the plug.

Run a Premium Synthetic oil as your engines Lifeblood and use a Premium oil filter for the Kidney that keeps it clean and go for a dang ride without worrying.

Bob

·
Registered
530 Posts
Might want to do some reading about oil filters here.

"There's a new type of filter being marketed, the "laser cut stainless steel filter," which we're told is "good for the life of your vehicle."

These filters typically have 35-40 micron holes, which is really not acceptable. They typically have 30-40 square inches of filter material, which is really not acceptable. A paper based element is a 3 dimensional filter - when a particle gets stuck deep in the filter element, oil can still flow around it. The stainless steel elements are 2 dimensional - when a particle gets caught, one of the holes is clogged up.

I don't see how you can assure that all the holes get cleared out when you clean these. Certainly simply soaking the filter in kerosene is not going to release particles that have been jammed into a hole at 60psi.

Blowing the filter out with air sounds good, but a motorcycle filter is too small to let an air hose inside.
These stainless steel filters cost about $120, about 25 times what I pay for a Pure One.

Since I use my filters for about 8,000 miles, that means I have to go 200,000 miles to break even. I've never put more than 60,000 miles on a vehicle.
I don't think this technology is ready to use yet. When the holes get down to 20 microns, and the surface area up to about 100-150 square inches, then I think I'll consider using one. Meanwhile, "good for the life of your vehicle" is not an impressive claim if the device shortens the life of your vehicle. "

Just a FYI only, it's your bike run what ya think is best.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Some flaws there... The calsci website thing isn't good for much more than to see the construction basics... NO testing was performed on the filters... Sq inches, number of pleats etc really don't matter when it comes to filter efficiency. Filters are tested using Industry Standard ISO 4548-12

Media for filters is available from <2 Micron Absolute on up. X amount of media is used to do a specific job in most cases. Thereby, if 46 sq inches of 36 Micron Nominal media is needed to do X job, far less of a 21 Micron Nominal is needed to do the same job provided the other requirements are met.

As for the SS filters, the technology has been there for years to build a finer Micron and was used in Jets but they were not able to flow enough oil. The SS mesh can not be made small enough to allow them to be placed close enough to allow for flow and contaminant removal.

ALSO: PURE ONE filters should NOT be used in Any PowerSports application!

Bob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts