Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally identified the heel shifter on this bike as kewlmetal which apparently went out of business or something.

It does not use a standard peg size so I'm trying to figure out what peg I can use with this because the bare metal short peg sucks.

Anyone have one of these?

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Maybe a picture would help. Three of our XCT bikes have the Victory heel shifter and even though it has just slightly wider flange and no rod, I love it and have not missed shifts with it. It allows more freedom of movement for your foot backwards. Our other bike has some other heel shifter with a really small diameter rod and while this works, I don't really like it that much.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe a picture would help. Three of our XCT bikes have the Victory heel shifter and even though it has just slightly wider flange and no rod, I love it and have not missed shifts with it. It allows more freedom of movement for your foot backwards. Our other bike has some other heel shifter with a really small diameter rod and while this works, I don't really like it that much.
Small diameter rod like this?
It sucks and with the other issue I posted having too long of a rod it hits the floorboard when shifting there is a mark in the rubber.

IMG_20180601_142009.jpg

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yep, that is the heel shifter on one of our bikes. I'm not in love with the look although it does NOT hit the floorboard. It comes close (1/8 to 1/4 inch) but does not hit. I wonder if you can rotate the entire shifter counterclockwise (when viewed from left side of bike) just slightly. This would give you the clearance for the heel shifter but would also move the toe shifter downward giving you less room for your boot toe. You are not huge guy so I suspect that your boot fits currently with room to spare.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trying to find alternate piece since I keep missing that. Can't rotate the shifter anymore because rod too long. Not thrilled with the idea of cutting on a $78 rod when I don't have a backup.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Small diameter rod like this?
It sucks and with the other issue I posted having too long of a rod it hits the floorboard when shifting there is a mark in the rubber.

View attachment 239714
When I owned an XCT, I bought and installed the KewlHeel shifter, and liked it, never had a problem, etc. OTOH, I never had the Vic model installed, so maybe I just never knew any better.

In any case, note that there is adjustability regarding its installation. As I noted in a caption in my web gallery (at pic 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour ):

One of the two holes for a heel shifter in the shift lever is elongated, to allow some adjustment, and I installed the "KewlHeel" heel shifter in its highest position; in the lowest position, it seemed too close to the top of the back of the floorboard.

Here's that particular pic (and there's another one in the gallery, the pic before that):

So, you might want to just try changing the adjustment on the KewlHeel, which -- for me, anyway, as far as I know -- didn't cause it to ever hit the floorboard.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh wow that's significantly higher.
Thanks I'll take a better look at it.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I had one on a couple of my Vic’s, never an issue. As for height adjustment off the board it will be in relation to how high the front arm is adjusted. For a different peg just drill out the old one.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I had one of these on my Cross Country Tour. I eventually switched to the Victory brand heel shifter, which took some getting used to because the Victory heel shifter has only a small area to hit with your heel.

Anyway:
1). The KewlMetal shifter is up-and-down adjustable, as has been said.
2). I drilled out the hole in the KewlMetal shifter and put in an Avon peg, which is much bigger. I think I still have that shifter, with the enlarged, more-standard-sized hole, in my shed. If you want it let me know. I will charge you for shipping and add $10 only.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
IndyVictory, Since I am the one who purchased the XCT from Wspollack, the picture and results he describes are from the bike I currently own :) As he confirms, the heel shifter on "our" bike is the Kewlmetal one he installed and it does not hit the floorboard at least in part because he installed it higher up using the elongated hole.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IndyVictory, Since I am the one who purchased the XCT from Wspollack, the picture and results he describes are from the bike I currently own :) As he confirms, the heel shifter on "our" bike is the Kewlmetal one he installed and it does not hit the floorboard at least in part because he installed it higher up using the elongated hole.
Currently having clutch issues so pulled off the CPR to see if it will ride better. When I bought bike it wouldn't move in first gear without throttle clutch all the way out. Then I had it too far other way creeping on me with lever all the way in. Thought I had it right took off for steak and having a lot of shift problems so it's either adjusting height of pedal or this CPR thing since I did both.

Can confirm it is not hitting the rubber just feels like it.

Back to the bike and I'll see if I can shift right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts