Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some kicker speakers on Amazon.com.
The ad says they sound significantly better. Do they?
Do I need an amp as well or are they plug and play?

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Plug and play for the 5.25" but if you can afford an amp; the best way to go is with a 6.5" w/adapter. Biketronics, Polk, and Alpine come to mind that I've read about people using besides the Kickers. Make sure to get the 4 ohm; especially if you aren't getting an amp.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I put a set in my 2011 XC Saturday. I don't really like them and plan to take them out. The sound quality is fine, but i seem to have lost volume. Not an issue with my 3/4 helmet but will be with my full face which I use when it gets cold.

I will have set for sale, maybe i hour of use.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I do not have any experience with the particular setup you are asking about but I have been a car audio enthusiast for 30+ years and do all my own work. In general aftermarket speakers are designed to handle more power than OEM. The tradeoff is that they are less efficient than the OEM and therefore require a little more power to make the same amount of sound (there are a few exceptions). Adding an amp is usually recommended. More power equals more sound. I don’t know how you would go about adding an amp in the fairing, but someone will figure that out and hopefully share with us.

Also, the comment about putting a larger speaker in the factory hole… larger speakers also equals more sound. And yes, this can probably be done with some cutting, grinding, and fabrication. From my preliminary evaluation this would not be a project for a novice.

I would love to have the time and money to install a trick high end system on my XC. But alas, at this point it’s difficult finding time to ride.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I put a set in my 2011 XC Saturday. I don't really like them and plan to take them out. The sound quality is fine, but i seem to have lost volume. Not an issue with my 3/4 helmet but will be with my full face which I use when it gets cold.

I will have set for sale, maybe i hour of use.
Sounds like you need an amp Greg. Are your Kicker's 4 ohm? Mine are 2 ohm and still work fine but I'm changing them out to the Biketronics 6.5" with adapter ring. It's a straight plug and play deal but the plastic sound baffle no longer fits. Tripntx and KevinX (Kevin was first of course) did this mod and my set is waiting for me to have time to mess with it. Tripntx found a set of baffles that he put a Quarter-sized hole in to let the the subwoofers move better. Links posted below. I too need an amp but an not sure which one to get yet. I'm leaning toward one of the Biketronics amps. Biketronics has a very good reputation and they stand behind their products. On the other hand if the Alpine works just a well; I certainly don't mind saving some cash.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-+180W+4-Channel+Mini+Amplifier/9442187.p?id=1218112724899&skuId=9442187&cmp=RMX&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9442187

http://www.biketronics.com/products/Titan-II-6.5%22-upgrade.html

http://www.biketronics.com/products/BT-454--%252d--75W-RMS-%7B47%7D-Channel.html

http://www.biketronics.com/products/Amp-%26-Big-Speaker-Package.html

Baffles for the larger speakers: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-788&FTR=260-788

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Thanks TJ. I wonder why they didn't work...

I found some good instructions on how to hook up the Alpine KTP - 445 on another forum. Wish I could post the link.

Edit: Yours didn't work either. How freakin' weird!

Oh well, for those looking, just got to biketronics.com and look up the BT471 speaker upgrade and the BT454 amp if you're so inclined.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Well, I can post a copy and credit it to cook06vegas. This would be a good rainy day project because it will take some time and patience along with some soldering skills. :)

The Alpine KTP 445 is a great little amp. It's perfect for the Vision! It's 45 watts x 4 channels @ 4 ohms. You will need better speakers too.

I thought I would share the info and steps I took to hook up this amp or Power Pack as Alpine calls it. The KTP 445 is meant to be plugged inline with any "newer" Alpine head unit. To use it on anything else requires a little work. Here's what wires you will use, what you won't and what goes where:

Alpine KTP 445-

12V+ Constant - Yellow

Ground - Black
Remote - Blue/White
Left Front Speaker Positive - White
Left Front Speaker Negative - White/Black
Right Front Speaker Positive - Gray
Right Front Speaker Negative - Gray/Black
Left Rear Speaker Positive - Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative - Green/Black
Right Rear Speaker Positive - Violet
Right Rear Speaker Negative - Violet/Black

The speaker wires are on BOTH sides of the amp, input and output!

ALSO:

The male connector is on the input side and all you will need is the speaker wires. Just connect these to the bike. All you need is the speaker wires listed above. Cut the rest off. ( See picture.)

The female connector is the input side for the power and ground. It's the output side for the speakers. You will not use the wires below, cut them off.

Blue
Orange
Yellow/Blue
Pink
Red

VISION- Speaker wires located under console. The big plug coming out of the radio. -

Left Front Speaker Positive - Brown/Red

Left Front Speaker Negative - Brown/Black
Right Front Speaker Positive - Gray/Red
Right Front Speaker Negative - Gray/White
Left Rear Speaker Positive - Orange/Red
Left Rear Speaker Negative - Orange/Black
Right Rear Speaker Positive - Pink/Red
Right Rear Speaker Negative - Pink/Black

*** I have to give Kevin T. credit for finding and sharing the Alpine wire info with me. THANKS!***

I decided to mount the amp on top of the left gas tank. Someone else had done this before. The other option would be In a saddle bag. I think the top of the tank will be a fairly dry spot and it will allow the amp to run cooler. If you put it in the bag, you will need way more wire, it might get to warm and it will take up some space. This is on a "Street" if you have the Tour pack or trunk it could go in the hole.

I ran the 12V+ Constant (Yellow) wire right from the battery to the amp. It runs up the front of the gas left gas tank to the amp. I hooked he black ground wire to a bracket and the switched (blue/white) wire to a unused connector. See pictures. I soldered everything and used heat shrink.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sounds like you need an amp Greg. Are your Kicker's 4 ohm? Mine are 2 ohm and still work fine but I'm changing them out to the Biketronics 6.5" with adapter ring. It's a straight plug and play deal but the plastic sound baffle no longer fits. Tripntx and KevinX (Kevin was first of course) did this mod and my set is waiting for me to have time to mess with it. Tripntx found a set of baffles that he put a Quarter-sized hole in to let the the subwoofers move better. Links posted below. I too need an amp but an not sure which one to get yet. I'm leaning toward one of the Biketronics amps. Biketronics has a very good reputation and they stand behind their products. On the other hand if the Alpine works just a well; I certainly don't mind saving some cash.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-+180W+4-Channel+Mini+Amplifier/9442187.p?id=1218112724899&skuId=9442187&cmp=RMX&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9442187

http://www.biketronics.com/products/Titan-II-6.5%22-upgrade.html

http://www.biketronics.com/products/BT-454--%252d--75W-RMS-%7B47%7D-Channel.html

http://www.biketronics.com/products/Amp-%26-Big-Speaker-Package.html

Baffles for the larger speakers: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-788&FTR=260-788
Bbob, I think you are correct. I took them off, stock is actually super. Not in to amps, etc.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Anybody know if speakers are covered under warranty... the left rear is blown.
If not, let me know, I have a couple extra I pulled out when I put in my Kickers...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've put a Biketronics amp on my XC. Actually had an issue with the amp itself and Biketronics quickly sent me a replacement at no cost. Very good support, would highly recommend them. Word of warning though, if you are using the Kicker speakers with the amp, it can blow them as the Kicker's aren't rated to handle the amount of power the amp can push. The suckers get loud. Can hear the music just fine with earplugs in at 85mph. thumb up

Install isn't that difficult. If you don't have the XM radio module you can just zip tie the amp to the stock radio. If you do have the module then you can put the amp on the inside left with the wires coming out the top and then put the r/c converter on the front of the XM module. The only issue I had with the wiring is the amp enable wire. The dash cigarette lighter is "always on". So even if you turn the key off the amp will still be getting power and drain the battery. To solve this I spliced the amp enable wire into a wire that goes to the dash. Did some testing with a volt meter to figure out a key switched power wire. I don't remember the color of it off the top of my head but I can take some pictures next time I open up the front. Fairly simple overall, some of the connectors require a bit of fiddling to make them smaller/bigger (since the kit is for HD's) but the sound increase once done is well worth it.

I'm seriously debating wiring in the trunk speakers to this amp as well and/or getting the 6.5 speakers. Wonder if that means I should go up to their 180W a channel amp. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Biketronics 6.5" Titan II upgrade for front

Biketronics Titan 6.5" upgrade works without any cuting. Must remove the fairing because they install from inside. I'm pleased with the sound from them. Plan to add a set of Polk DXi 525 to trunk real soon, and will add an Alpine KTP-445 this winter. Here's some pic's with titan beside the factory speaker, adapter installed without speaker, finally a couple of the installed speaker with a foam baffle on it. If you purchase the 6.5" foam baffles, they will need to be taped to adapter, and be sure to cut a 3/4" to 1" inch in the bottom of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Does this spkr. install allow you to reuse the stock snap in spkr. covers? What kind of hardware did you use to fasten these spkrs. to the backside of inner fairing frame? Hmmm, May be a winter upgrade?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Does this spkr. install allow you to reuse the stock snap in spkr. covers? What kind of hardware did you use to fasten these spkrs. to the backside of inner fairing frame? Hmmm, May be a winter upgrade?
Stock victory speaker covers are still used. These do not alter the appearance from front at all.

Speaker fastened to adapter with supplied hardware. But you need to purchase the following to fasten adapter to inner fairing:
8 each 5mm X .80 x 30 black hex head bolts
8 each 5mm nylock nuts
16 each 5mm stainless flat washers

KevinX is the one who determined this would work, I simply ordered the moment he had his installed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Which Titan spkr. works best for our bikes, model BT471 or BT472?

·
Registered
164 Posts
BT471 is the kit which has been used by myself and KevinX. The 5mm bolts I used were the type that has a socket head, they accept an allen wrench. I'm very pleased with the difference in bass these created. I plan on adding an Alpine KTP-445 amp in November. Stock radio is pegged out at 75 mph and while I can hear the music just fine, it is not good to run a system at full volume all the time. Alpine mini amp is 45 watts x 4 channels, so it is double the power of the factory radio output and should satisfy my needs very well.

I used White Electrical tape to tape foam baffles to speaker adapters.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The reviews that I found on Bikertronics equipment have been generally very good. It looks like they have a variety of products designed specifically for motorcycle applications (all made by somebody else though). I also like the idea of the “life-time warranty” but wonder about exclusions like water damage.

Tripntx,

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your install. Wow, the OEM speakers look wimpy next to the aftermarket (although speaker/magnet size does not always translate into more or better sound).

Let me make sure I understand what you did... You replaced OEM 5.25” speakers with the Bikertronics Titan II 6.5” speakers + adapter plates + foam baffles. The new speakers are wired to the OEM radio, NO EXTRA AMPLIFIER. Are the new speakers any louder than the OEM setup? A lot louder or just a little? What about sound quality? A lot better, or just a bit better? Any distortion at high volume?

Oh, and what’s that round silver thing that is shown in the fourth pic, a GPS antenna?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The stock speakers are pretty crap but they push mid range frequencies like crazy, so anything else that is more balanced will appear to sound less loud. The stockers are also likely more efficient as someone else noted, which will make them louder than a less efficient speaker.

I haven't heard the Kickers, but I put in some Polk DXi525's and to my ears they definitely sound more balanced (less mid honk, cleaner high end, not too much bass, but it's a 5 1/4" speaker and I would say it is a small improvement over the stock speakers), and they also get as loud if not a touch louder than the stock speakers. I am not running an external amp at this time either.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts