Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month ago I mentioned something about Victory and Indian at work. This old guy sitting at a computer calls me over.

We have a government auction site. Its shared site from a bunch of government departments.

Basically all the old office furniture, lockers, file cabinets, government vehicles, etc etc, go into this warehouse and wait to be auctioned off. Its divided into categories as youd suspect "automotive, furnitrure, sports, other". Every province has its own lay down area, I imagine some are dusty warehouses no one has seen the other side of for years.

So under the "other" section is a link to an auction that ends in 2 days. The title was "motorized bicycle". The old guy clicks the link and a picture very similar to this pops up;

No bids yet, starting was $200. They clearly had no idea what they had found.

I was kind of broke at the time. And there was only 2 days left, but boy am I kicking myself.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
So, where is this site and how do I access it? :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm not Canukistani but I didn't fall of the turnip truck yesterday either.

Pop has been occasionally active in antique motorcycles off and on for a few decades.

A little take away. There are no antique iron auctions that are not sniped. What I mean is there are folks who make their money by representing at any auction you can imagine from a K of C charity to a Concourse d'Elegance. The networks are so far flung and all encompassing that I won't believe that any Canadian or Uzbekistanian or Pango Pangan gummint auction is not on the radar. When you happen on barn finds and so forth on non public auction sites, dollars to donuts the photo may have been posted in compliance with rules regulating how that particular authority disposes of rolling stock but the outcome of the auction is long since determined before you ever see that pix and the new owner is some broker who will maximize his ROI by resale in more lucrative markets and pay a not insignificant amount out in finder fees to the sniper.

Like my buddy says, the only way to get a barn find anymore is to find a barn without a satellite dish or a pit bull.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Pop what is a Canuckistani???? I really don't care for the word Canuck and Stani used in the same word.... There is a government warehouse in Edmonton that had an auction a couple of years ago and my buddy bought 1962 Lincoln Continental for $1700. It was a four door and the interior was completely ravaged by mice but the body was straight as an arrow and rust free. He lowered it, did custom interior, 22" wheels n rubber and shot some new paint on her. He turned a $14000.00 profit on that bitch. Never even had to touch the drivetrain.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Disclaimer: I'm not Canukistani but I didn't fall of the turnip truck yesterday either.

Pop has been occasionally active in antique motorcycles off and on for a few decades.

A little take away. There are no antique iron auctions that are not sniped. What I mean is there are folks who make their money by representing at any auction you can imagine from a K of C charity to a Concourse d'Elegance. The networks are so far flung and all encompassing that I won't believe that any Canadian or Uzbekistanian or Pango Pangan gummint auction is not on the radar. When you happen on barn finds and so forth on non public auction sites, dollars to donuts the photo may have been posted in compliance with rules regulating how that particular authority disposes of rolling stock but the outcome of the auction is long since determined before you ever see that pix and the new owner is some broker who will maximize his ROI by resale in more lucrative markets and pay a not insignificant amount out in finder fees to the sniper.

Like my buddy says, the only way to get a barn find anymore is to find a barn without a satellite dish or a pit bull.
Hey pop, Im sure you're right when the auction is open to the public. But this auction is only open to Canadian government employees. And our Military is rather small. Im sure if the item doesn't sell it get sent off to a regular auction.

As for where is this site...you can only access it from the DND intranet. I had never used the site before this is what i'm going on from what buddy was showing me. The bike itself was located in Saskatchewan (as i recall). So getting it here alone would have been much more costly than the $200 (plus any bid wars). Ill check back in when i go back to work on tuesday. If only to find out details of the internal auctions for Pop (and future reference).

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Pop what is a Canuckistani???? I really don't care for the word Canuck and Stani used in the same word.... There is a government warehouse in Edmonton that had an auction a couple of years ago and my buddy bought 1962 Lincoln Continental for $1700. It was a four door and the interior was completely ravaged by mice but the body was straight as an arrow and rust free. He lowered it, did custom interior, 22" wheels n rubber and shot some new paint on her. He turned a $14000.00 profit on that bitch. Never even had to touch the drivetrain.
Travis I have a house on a mountain in NH and a camp in VT about an hour from Coaticook. I run with a bunch of Quebecois and I got that lingo from them. It appears that my buds are of a thickness of epidermis maybe not universally shared north of the border.
I mean no offense and will make an effort to measure my words with more sensitivity.
As far as auctions go good for your friend with the old Lincoln. I didn't' t say that you can' t get mid century Detroit stuff. Anything can be gotten and will be. Just don't expect that you will see a pre WW I one lung leather belt motorcycle in any condition sporting a 200 dollar bid price and have any shot at scoring it against pro brokers who play in a multimillion dollar league. On the other hand if you do believe that kind of stuff Pop has a good looking bridge for sale. I keep it in Brooklyn.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Travis I have a house on a mountain in NH and a camp in VT about an hour from Coaticook. I run with a bunch of Quebecois and I got that lingo from them. It appears that my buds are of a thickness of epidermis maybe not universally shared north of the border.
I mean no offense and will make an effort to measure my words with more sensitivity.
As far as auctions go good for your friend with the old Lincoln. I didn't' t say that you can' t get mid century Detroit stuff. Anything can be gotten and will be. Just don't expect that you will see a pre WW I one lung leather belt motorcycle in any condition sporting a 200 dollar bid price and have any shot at scoring it against pro brokers who play in a multimillion dollar league. On the other hand if you do believe that kind of stuff Pop has a good looking bridge for sale. I keep it in Brooklyn.
I laughed at Canuckiztan or whatever it was - skin don't get much thicker than a sailors. Besides, we all know Canada truly is Odie to America's Garfield.:D

I honestly looked at it for 5 minutes before I had to go back to work. He was logged on through the work portal and I didn't have an account set up on that particular section so I just drooled and moved on. There wasn't many details on the bike itself, but it was definitely an early Indian. Like I say I knew it was something I couldnt work (and possibly too good to be true) but I think about that "what if" of it all more than I should be.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Pop I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings and mine definitely aren't hurt! I was just curious where that name came from and what it meant? As far as Québécois go they aren't really Canadians as they been trying to separate from us for years!!!! Come west and meet some real rednecks! Canuckleheads is more politically correct than anything ending in Stani.... No harm no foulPop was mostly just curious as you are the only person I had ever heard use the word.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts