Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why Victory does not have a kickstand interlock on the Vision? My VTX had one my $20,000 plus vision does not. My VTX would not go if you put in gear with the kickstand down. I found this to a real great saftey feature. Doen't get me wrong I love my Vision and I have never forgat to put the kickstand up ...BUT...forget just once and that is an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Riders of higher intelligence buy and ride Victorys. Therefore, Victory sees no need to dumb down their bikes. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Riders of higher intelligence buy and ride Victorys. Therefore, Victory sees no need to dumb down their bikes. :)
As much as I appreciate the humor in that, I agree that the technology is easy and should be included. Came off a BMW and owners of those bike, while not the most personable, are relatively intelligent.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
489 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
See no need for it myself .. Been riding 40 plus years without one will do fine without one what years I have left Riding .. I do most of my own wrenching and comes in handy to be able start your Bike on the Stand or on a Jack which won't allow the kickstand to raise to run the engine when checking for leaks, etc.. After work has been done ..

·
13,235 Posts
Thats why victory puts a rubber pad on kickstand. If your not paying attention to what your doing the rubber pad hits the ground and pops its it up.
Because you for get to put it up don't blame Victory

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Not all Victory riders are intelligent. I forget to put my kickstand up all the time. DUR DUR

please don't take my bike away

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Can anyone tell me why Victory does not have a kickstand interlock on the Vision? My VTX had one my $20,000 plus vision does not. My VTX would not go if you put in gear with the kickstand down. I found this to a real great saftey feature. Doen't get me wrong I love my Vision and I have never forgat to put the kickstand up ...BUT...forget just once and that is an accident waiting to happen.
I forgot mine in the downwards position, once. Only happened once. As soon as I took off and leaned slightly to the left, the kickstand touched down and closed. No accident, no problem.

By the way, if the bikes did have a kickstand interlock (which I also don't think is needed), what would we ask for next? Helmet interlock? Both hands on the handlebars interlock? Butt on the seat interlock? :D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Butt on the seat interlock? :D
lol like a lawnmower? I forget about those all the time too. Nether-bits get all swampy and you sit up off the seat to make some..."adjustments"...and the damn thing stops.

no sir, I don't like it.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
lol like a lawnmower? I forget about those all the time too. Nether-bits get all swampy and you sit up off the seat to make some..."adjustments"...and the damn thing stops.

no sir, I don't like it.
It might be good for those who go somewhere but forget to get on the bike first. :ltr:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I stopped in today with a question about the clutch on my new Vision. Just bought it and have about 700 miles on it so still really getting to know the bike.

The question had to do with clutch engagement, so I started the bike and eased out the clutch in 1st gear with the bike still on the side-stand to slightly load the engine. They were stunned the bike didn't shut down. The sad part is that this was the Service Manager no less who didn't realize Victory doesn't have a side-stand interlock.

1st he tries to tell me I'm wrong...

When I show him again, he says that something is wrong because not having one is illegal- he insisted they were mandatory on any motorcycle :confused:

Not intentionally bringing Harley into the discussion, but I told him that not only was he wrong about some law requiring an interlock but that HD has never had one either, nor is there any clutch interlock on a Harley.

His mechanic that was observing the discussion simply said "leave it to the Americans..." which actually pissed me off. I just said that I preferred fewer things to break and go wrong on a bike, like an idiot-interlock.

I then told both of them that there was no way in hell they would get a penny from me in service work if they were that ignorant about the most expensive and most profitable bikes in the store. This was the final straw that proved to me that they are a group of idiots. My 1st clue was when I took delivery of the bike and they couldn't figure out how to put gas in it. I realize it is a little different than other bikes out there, but FFS take a few minutes to read the damn book on a $23k bike before you look like an ass in front of a brand new owner and customer. Actaully was nervous on the 1st ride home because I was really questioning their PDI but checked over the bike myself as best I could. Thankfully there isn't much to the PDI that a routine T-CLOCS won't catch.

I will make a point to contact the store owner to let him know he apparently has a group of window-lickers running the service department. They may know the Asian bikes they sell but don't know jack about the Victory line.

Sorry about the slightly off-topic rant...

No, Victory doesn't have (or need in my opinion) any type of side-stand interlock. They do have a clutch interlock that prevents you from starting the bike in gear but it is my opinion that this is a bit of overkill also (something else unnecessary to break that could strand you). I see the logic but I also see and respect the value in knowing what is going on with a machine like this before you touch it. If you make the mistake of hitting the starter button with it in gear and the clutch engaged, you will learn to not do that when you have to pick the bike up off of the asphalt. Hard lessons are well remembered and they can either be learned by brain or pain.

/r

Allen

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Not all Victory riders are intelligent. I forget to put my kickstand up all the time. DUR DUR

please don't take my bike away
Yuh, hyuk hyuk, uhhh which way did they go George? Which way did they go?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Not intentionally bringing Harley into the discussion, but I told him that not only was he wrong about some law requiring an interlock but that HD has never had one either, nor is there any clutch interlock on a Harley./r

Allen
I recently owned 2 different HDs for about 2 years each. Both had a clutch interlock that tied into the neutral switch. If you had the clutch out and the gears were not in neutral, the bike would simply not try to start. Both switches were on the list of periodic owner checks.

I have owned lots of bikes from many years ago and few of them had either a neutral or a clutch switch. You could drive them around by using the starter motors.

·
13,235 Posts
I stopped in today with a question about the clutch on my new Vision. Just bought it and have about 700 miles on it so still really getting to know the bike.

The question had to do with clutch engagement, so I started the bike and eased out the clutch in 1st gear with the bike still on the side-stand to slightly load the engine. They were stunned the bike didn't shut down. The sad part is that this was the Service Manager no less who didn't realize Victory doesn't have a side-stand interlock.

1st he tries to tell me I'm wrong...

When I show him again, he says that something is wrong because not having one is illegal- he insisted they were mandatory on any motorcycle :confused:

Not intentionally bringing Harley into the discussion, but I told him that not only was he wrong about some law requiring an interlock but that HD has never had one either, nor is there any clutch interlock on a Harley.

His mechanic that was observing the discussion simply said "leave it to the Americans..." which actually pissed me off. I just said that I preferred fewer things to break and go wrong on a bike, like an idiot-interlock.

I then told both of them that there was no way in hell they would get a penny from me in service work if they were that ignorant about the most expensive and most profitable bikes in the store. This was the final straw that proved to me that they are a group of idiots. My 1st clue was when I took delivery of the bike and they couldn't figure out how to put gas in it. I realize it is a little different than other bikes out there, but FFS take a few minutes to read the damn book on a $23k bike before you look like an ass in front of a brand new owner and customer. Actaully was nervous on the 1st ride home because I was really questioning their PDI but checked over the bike myself as best I could. Thankfully there isn't much to the PDI that a routine T-CLOCS won't catch.

I will make a point to contact the store owner to let him know he apparently has a group of window-lickers running the service department. They may know the Asian bikes they sell but don't know jack about the Victory line.

Sorry about the slightly off-topic rant...

No, Victory doesn't have (or need in my opinion) any type of side-stand interlock. They do have a clutch interlock that prevents you from starting the bike in gear but it is my opinion that this is a bit of overkill also (something else unnecessary to break that could strand you). I see the logic but I also see and respect the value in knowing what is going on with a machine like this before you touch it. If you make the mistake of hitting the starter button with it in gear and the clutch engaged, you will learn to not do that when you have to pick the bike up off of the asphalt. Hard lessons are well remembered and they can either be learned by brain or pain.

/r

Allen
Its a shame that the dealer doesn't some how Educate there employees on the bikes. Even make them read the owners manual on each model.
I don't go to my dealer cause of that and there only 4 miles away. I'm learning how to do my owne work.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I believe the rules go something like... if the bike has a locking kickstand it must also have a kickstand interlock.

Most (if not all) modern metrics have a locking kickstand, and therefore also have the kickstand interlock.

I believe the rules also require the clutch interlock across the board.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kick stand interlock

Sounds fun! Haven't rode off (yet) with the stand down, but I do LOVE to show off Vision Tour to my Harley buddies. While idling I reach over and hit the starter and watch them flinch!:p

·
Registered
156 Posts
Actually Victory bikes do come with kickstand interlocks...... but you have to go overseas to get one with it. It is an international requirement but not a North American requirement.
If you want one, the part #'s are for the Vision
#4013130 Switch, Side Stand
#7519276 Screw
#4013131 Magnet, Side Stand

To me, those switches are dumb. Riding off with your kickstand down is pretty much the same as someone driving off in their cage with their door open.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts