Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how strong/reliable is a XC kickstand?
I'm not as young and flexible as I used to be and getting on the bike is sometimes difficult.
Thinking maybe I could stand on the passenger floorboard and swing my leg over.
Will the kickstand hold my 250 pounds?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
It will definitely hold your weight

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Its plenty strong

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I've been getting on and off that way for almost 6 years. Have at it!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Sometimes when I want to get on the bike that way I do it from the right side so as not put too much weight on the stand.
I put my right foot on the right floorboard, and grab the handlebars.
Then I center my body in line with the wheels so they take the weight and the bike will not tip to the right.
Then I will swing the left leg over and onto the left floorboard, and sit on the seat.
The bike is still on the stand, I will start it up to warm up, do whatever I need to do to prepare for my trip, then finally stand the bike upright, put the stand up and ride off.

I usually do this because I have something strapped to the back seat which prevents me from swinging my leg over to get on the bike.
I find it hard to lift my leg over the rider seat only, so I do it this way.
Hope I explained it well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sometimes when I want to get on the bike that way I do it from the right side so as not put too much weight on the stand.
Then I center my body in line with the wheels so they take the weight and the bike will not tip to the right.
Then I will swing the left leg over and onto the left floorboard, and sit on the seat.
The bike is still on the stand, I will start it up to warm up, do whatever I need to do to prepare for my trip, then finally stand the bike upright, put the stand up and ride off.

I usually do this because I have something strapped to the back seat which prevents me from swinging my leg over to get on the bike.
That's the way the dealer recommended mounting the bike plus it reduces the scuffs in the bag cover. Works for me

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks guys- and Rhino, thanks for the heads up.
The reason i mentioned the kick stand is on my Gunner if you take weight off the stand, And if the bike should move forward just a little the stand can/will pop up...:eek

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

I once tried to get on from the right (because I was parked next to some shrubbery, on the left, in a hotel courtyard). Cops do this all the time, mostly, I think, because it keeps them away from traffic when they're on the side of the road.

Anyway, I did it just as Paul described...

...except for the "Then I center my body in line with the wheels so they take the weight and the bike will not tip to the right.

...part. And the bike slowly tipped over onto the right crashbars (no damage), and I got out of the way. The moral of this story is: don't leave out that part about getting your weight over the bike, before lifting your left leg off the ground.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The reason i mentioned the kick stand is on my Gunner if you take weight off the stand, And if the bike should move forward just a little the stand can/will pop up...:eek
Just my opinion, but bikes should be kept in gear when parked especially if on any slope which might cause them to roll if lightly "encouraged".

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
yeah its designed that way so if you forget and ride off with your stand down itll flick back up and not launch you into the stratosphere on the first lh bend

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts

OK Paul do a VIDEO :) seriously....
I swing my leg over from the left but often hit the bag. Since my knee replacement 4 years ago, it is getting harder and harder to bend my leg. I have never thought about mounting from the right.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
The moral of this story is: don't leave out that part about getting your weight over the bike, before lifting your left leg off the ground.
Haha... reminds me of the 3 legged dog that lifted a leg to pee and fell over... funny stuff.
:laugh

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Haha... reminds me of the 3 legged dog that lifted a leg to pee and fell over... funny stuff.
:laugh
I don't know if you're old enough, or even if they showed this in the far north... but I reminded myself of Artie Johnson, tipping over on his tricycle, on the Laugh-In show.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I don't know if you're old enough, or even if they showed this in the far north... but I reminded myself of Artie Johnson, tipping over on his tricycle, on the Laugh-In show.
You just dated yourself Bill ! :)

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
The XC stand will bend but it doesn't generally bend in the middle or at the end closest to the attachment point like one would think. There are forks where it attaches to the frame. What can and sometimes does happen is those forks spread causing the bike to lean over further. It happened on mine. When I lowered the back end it corrected the problem of it leaning over too far on the stand but I haven't yet fixed the original problem.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Ask and you shall recieve @JPokerwinski.

Go to this new thread and watch my video.

Let me know what you think.
Paul you're a hoot. That is great. I am not sure I can mount from the right. I have been mounting on the left for soooo long. I was always taught left mount because the exhaust was always more exposed on the right. But since I don't ride in shorts.. I will give it a try

1 - 20 of 27 Posts