Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have serious quams about the kickstands on their CC's? I have a 2013, and the thing doesn't seem to angle nearly enough to make me feel confident. I've tipped the bike once, and almost a two more times because the kickstand was a few degree off from fully extended, or flexed back after putting it on the ground, etc.

Anyone else have this issue, or buy/do anything to increase the angle/length of it for better support? Another 10-15° would have it done it wonders.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dashbarron,
I've got a 13XCT and I think it works good compared to a few other bikes I've seen. I've never had a problem, but I park on concrete or use a puck most times on dirt or asphalt. Have you given it a serious eyeball to determine if you have a bend or some other obstruction? I hope you can find a suitable solution. You should add your location and bike info to your signature line. Have a good day.

·
13,002 Posts
are you saying it doesn't lean over far enough or are you saying it stands the bike to straight up and down

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
Try the stand on the HD Streetglide and then you will know insecurity!
Vic's stand is designed to retract if you ride off with it down,
Try it it works.
Downside is if it's not 100% down it may flip back up!
That's a fact, I've personally made the mistake of not having fully engaged my stand and got off the bike thinking the stand was down!
Bike hit the deck!
Make sure your Victory stand is fully engaged and you won't have a problem
The HD I rode for 24 hrs last week gave no feeling of security at all, it allowed the bike to rock around.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Does anyone else have serious quams about the kickstands on their CC's? I have a 2013, and the thing doesn't seem to angle nearly enough to make me feel confident. I've tipped the bike once, and almost a two more times because the kickstand was a few degree off from fully extended, or flexed back after putting it on the ground, etc.

Anyone else have this issue, or buy/do anything to increase the angle/length of it for better support? Another 10-15° would have it done it wonders.
Are you running with 0 PSI in your shock? If so, you might want to add some air to it, and see whether you like the angle then.

I typically have about 35 PSI in the shock, and the bike seems fine on the sidestand, either with the front wheel straight or turned left full lock (which will let the bike lean over a bit more). For me, I wouldn't want the bike leaned over any more, because for an old guy it can be a handful to get upright.

Oh, one more thing. Your bike isn't lowered, is it?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Are you running with 0 PSI in your shock? If so, you might want to add some air to it, and see whether you like the angle then.

I typically have about 35 PSI in the shock, and the bike seems fine on the sidestand, either with the front wheel straight or turned left full lock (which will let the bike lean over a bit more). For me, I wouldn't want the bike leaned over any more, because for an old guy it can be a handful to get upright.

Oh, one more thing. Your bike isn't lowered, is it?

35 psi????? You must be a big fella!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
My bike is lowered 1.5" with a 21" front wheel. 5 psi in the rear shock and is rock solid in the kickstand. Leaned over probably 10-15 degrees which is just right. I have parked in gravel, grass, you name it never had an issue of any sorts. I bought the shortened kickstand put it on and immediately removed it. The thing was leaned over like my old Triumph and felt like it was going to tip. It was also a bitch to stand up while standing beside it.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Dashbarron....Take the above advice, especially airing up your rear shock to a minimum of 25 psi, 30 would be better. Always park in first gear. Not doing so only invites a tipover. The only time my bike is not parked in gear is in my garage. Oh, and if you expect us to help you, help us by completing your profile (city & state) and signature (bike + mods).

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The HD I rode for 24 hrs last week gave no feeling of security at all, it allowed the bike to rock around.

I understand the uneasiness when not knowing about a H-D kickstand, but they actually lock in place. You can grab the front wheel and pull them and the kickstand will hold. It does come down and give the appearance of it isn't stable, but it really is.

I'm a professional...I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Oh, and I run zero air in my shock, with no kickstand issues.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
35 psi????? You must be a big fella!!!!
"Big" -- hard to say. I go about 212. But the chart for XCTs -- "Trunk" -- says 15 psi for 200, 25 for 225. So that puts me in the middle, say 20 psi.

But the chart also notes, "Total Cargo & Occupant Weight." I'm a pack rat, or a be-prepared boy scout, or just dumb and OCD, so I carry a shock pump, an air pump, a patch kit, a hefty tool kit, a first-aid kit, rain gloves, a disc lock, a Sav-Ur-Ride, etc. To that, you have to also add non-stock items, such as a trunk rack, an air horn, extra lights, and suchlike. I think that easily brings my weight, with cargo, up to the 250lb/29psi line.

Plus, I like to do spirited riding in the twisties, so throw in another 6psi -- my 35psi statement -- for a little more ground clearance.

(And when riding two-up, I'll increase that to 40-45, which is something I can easily do, because I moved the shock fill-valve line outside the side cover.)

So I don't think my original statement is out of line at all. For those folks with trunks, the chart lists 9psi for a rider+cargo weight of 175lbs, and only lists 0psi for weights below that. For the non-trunk Cross bikes, it's a slightly different story, of course, where non-zero pressure doesn't start until 225.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Weigh yourself with your riding gear on, you'll be amazed, especially if you are ATGATT like me. Then add 50 pounds for the crap you're schlepping in the cases (even if it doesn't really weigh that much) then inflate the shock according to the chart in the right lid. Better for handling if you are over rather than under inflated.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
"Big" -- hard to say. I go about 212. But the chart for XCTs -- "Trunk" -- says 15 psi for 200, 25 for 225. So that puts me in the middle, say 20 psi.

But the chart also notes, "Total Cargo & Occupant Weight." I'm a pack rat, or a be-prepared boy scout, or just dumb and OCD, so I carry a shock pump, an air pump, a patch kit, a hefty tool kit, a first-aid kit, rain gloves, a disc lock, a Sav-Ur-Ride, etc. To that, you have to also add non-stock items, such as a trunk rack, an air horn, extra lights, and suchlike. I think that easily brings my weight, with cargo, up to the 250lb/29psi line.

Plus, I like to do spirited riding in the twisties, so throw in another 6psi -- my 35psi statement -- for a little more ground clearance.

(And when riding two-up, I'll increase that to 40-45, which is something I can easily do, because I moved the shock fill-valve line outside the side cover.)

So I don't think my original statement is out of line at all. For those folks with trunks, the chart lists 9psi for a rider+cargo weight of 175lbs, and only lists 0psi for weights below that. For the non-trunk Cross bikes, it's a slightly different story, of course, where non-zero pressure doesn't start until 225.
Huh ?:crzy:

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I forgot you are running a tour pack Bill... I hate the feel of my XC with too much air in the shock. With my old lady on the back, both bags full and a decent sized bag on my rack, I run 25 lbs.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I understand the uneasiness when not knowing about a H-D kickstand, but they actually lock in place. You can grab the front wheel and pull them and the kickstand will hold. It does come down and give the appearance of it isn't stable, but it really is.

Absolutely. My Road King locked down and no need to use first gear. I'm sure it's patented but best jiffy stand I've ever had on any bike. Stand the bike up and the lock releases to flip up.

Got to give it to HD on this one.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
The salesman assured me it was safe but I didn't believe him.
Now I do believe you fellah, thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Never ever had an issue with my kickstand ....

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Never ever had an issue with my kickstand ....
Me, either. But if the bike's angled the least bit down toward the front, I leave the bike in first before shutting down. (Normally, I leave the bike in neutral.)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I ride an HD softtail and agree on two points about the HD sidestands. First, they appear very flimsy and make you feel like the bike is about to fall. They will rock forward and backward when in the down position by 3-4 inches and this is disconcerting. It makes you feel like the bike is about to fall due to the sidestand folding up. Second, the appearance of flimsiness and "foldupability" is completely the opposite of their true action. As others have noted. The sidestand locks into the down position and cannot fold up with any amount of pressure until the bike is uprighted. This design is, indeed, rock solid. You just have to get used to the slight movement of the bike on the sidestand especially when parking on a slope.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
280 Posts
Never a problem with the side-stand other than the stupid little rubber pads they come with aren't worth a F**K, mine has fallen apart (dry rotted) already. They are designed to kick back up if you forget to put it up. Not so on some other bikes and that can have repercussions when forgot. I also ALWAYS leave the bike in 1st gear when parked, even when in the garage.

Wow, you guys like to run your shocks soft. I run mine at 60most of the time, and bump it up to 64 with the ole lady with. Tried running it softer but did not like the feel at all. And before any snide comments about weight, I am only at 260 lbs myself, and carry the owners manual, the factory tool kit, and the bike cover, when it's just me. I guess it's really about personal preference and comfort.

Now to one other point that I wish to make and that has bothered me since I started reading these forums.
You "location natzi's" need to tell me (and anyone else) how knowing what "state and city" someone lives in, matters about ANYTHING to do with a bike, bikes design, bike function, etc???? Nothing, that's what it has to do with it.
I agree, people need to either state what bike they are referring to or add it in a "sig" line, But you do NOT need to know where everyone lives to give thoughts on things like kickstands, shock pressures, how the wind deflectors function, lighting, etc.
Sorry, but I get that some people just don't care to identify that information, for whatever reason. It is something that can and does cause some people to shy away from some sites when nosy Nellies pry. Just saying, Let it go. :angel

1 - 20 of 67 Posts