Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here tried to soften the suspension of the 2010 or newer 8 balls? I have a 2011 KP 8 ball and was thinking about trying to replace the rear shock with a standard KP rear shock or even a cross roads shock if possible. I got to demo a cross roads last weekend and really liked the ride (but still like my bike better). The guy at the dealership thinks i should add another link to raise my seat height but i don't think that will help the travel. Just looking for ideas for a softer ride.

Thanks

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I would advise you to buy the Penske or kewlmetal air ride if you are going to spend money on a new shock.

If you an aggressive rider then go with the Penske. If you are cruiser like me the air ride is Aces!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I'm not really looking for anything more aggressive than what I already have and I'm hoping to be able to do this on the cheap. What would you think about just replacing the 3" 8 ball spring with the 3.7" KP spring?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I started this thread I've just been sucking it up on the stock suspension. Ready to fix that this winter. I haven't been able to find the kewl metal air ride shock, most links through Google say discontinued.

For the two lengths of progressive 465 shock, on a 2011 KP 8ball,
My questions are: if I were to install the long shock, would I have to replace the links to make more room? Would the longer travel shock provide noticeably more comfort thank the short one? Would a longer shock and possibly new links change the geometry of the bike?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
13,177 Posts
get your rear wheel off the ground and adjust your shock
You should get a nice ride out if what you have

·
Registered
690 Posts
Not sure about the link, but I have heard good things about the longer progressive shock.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
penske works

put a penske on my 2013 hammer! if it makes a hammer ride decent it will do wonders for you. i got mine directly from penske as i live only 60 miles away, they are built to order for YOU! with top quality parts. off the shelf shocks are a crapshoot, do it once do it RIGHT! air shocks are a cheap bandaid IMO! thats why Hxxxxy D uses them!!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Too many folks say the Penske is the best mod period. That's one definitive statement ending in "period" I'm inclined to believe. :) It gets my vote and hope to install someday when I can justify the cost.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
penske $$$

realizing everyone is financially different sometimes a more expensive purchase done once is cheaper than several cheaper purchases trying to get good results, its always the buyers choice for sure. i remember drooling over a set of budnick wheels at a rod show about $1500 for 4 years ago, made to order i whipped out the plastic after a few more beers, thew went on a nice 72 olds cutlass hardtop, everyone commented on them, the finish inside was better than most outside, i quickly forgot how much $$$ they were!!! if there's a way buy what you want!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question. I am a big guy 6'7" and around 320. I have a 2007 KP my belt is rubbing on the belt cover when riding 2 up with my wife. Can I take the links off the suspension to higher the ride and also basically set the monoshock to it's firmest setting? I don't know if that will work or not. Can't find any open belt covers for the KP so I am trying things before I drop $500-$750 on a nice new shock.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
you need a shock built for YOU + your riding habits, there are cheaper off the shelf choices but my Penske is GREAT!! links are single pieces but different links can be bought for some bikes, not vics that i know, so see above. our steel framed vics use typical single shock, not cheap air shocks. you need a sufficient spring to hold the load, + the hydraulics do the damping. may i suggest some weight loss for your health, good luck

·
Premium Member
13,614 Posts
I have a question. I am a big guy 6'7" and around 320. I have a 2007 KP my belt is rubbing on the belt cover when riding 2 up with my wife. Can I take the links off the suspension to higher the ride and also basically set the monoshock to it's firmest setting? I don't know if that will work or not. Can't find any open belt covers for the KP so I am trying things before I drop $500-$750 on a nice new shock.
I don't think the steel frame bikes were designed to handle that kind of weight. I'm not going to ask the weight of your wife but an average might be around 140 (+320) = 460. That's just too much for these single shock bikes. As mentioned; a Penske shock can be built to accommodate this level though so I think that's going to be your one option but they ain't cheap. I think they currently run around $750 for the single shock set up. There are links that lower the bike but unless yours has already been lowered; I haven't seen any that will raise them up higher than stock level. That isn't to say it can't be done but there is math involved and skill needed to make a set correctly.

The belt rubbing is a bit of a warning sign. There are wires under the rear fender the tire can rub on if the shock bottoms out. One thing you can do is make sure no wires are hanging where the tire will touch them if that happens.

I would recommend a bigger bike like one of the Cross bikes if you wanted to stay with Victory and I can understand you might want to with your height. That's one of Victory's best features. Big guys like you don't look like a monkey humping a football on them like with Harley.

Looking at the specs, Dry Weight 654/297 lbs/kg , GVWR 1210/549 lbs/kg , let's assume a wet weight of 700 lbs with a capacity of 1200 lbs. That puts the two of you near the very far end of the weight limit for this bike.

I really would suggest a bigger bike for the two of you. The KP would still be an excellent bike for just you or even for your wife if she's interested in riding one herself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you need a shock built for YOU + your riding habits, there are cheaper off the shelf choices but my Penske is GREAT!! links are single pieces but different links can be bought for some bikes, not vics that i know, so see above. our steel framed vics use typical single shock, not cheap air shocks. you need a sufficient spring to hold the load, + the hydraulics do the damping. may i suggest some weight loss for your health, good luck
Definitely been trying to lose weight. Any thoughts on the 465 progressive shock? Could I remove the links to increase ride height?

·
Premium Member
13,614 Posts
Definitely been trying to lose weight. Any thoughts on the 465 progressive shock? Could I remove the links to increase ride height?
You're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You need a bigger bike to carry that kind of weight.

The shock links are what holds the bike up at the swingarm so no; those can't be removed unless you want the tire to rest against the top of the fender.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts