Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm impressed by a fellow Victory rider that just rolled 100K miles onto his 2004 Victory Vegas. As I ride an '08 Kingpin, I'm interested in hearing the mega mileage other Kingpin riders have put on their bikes (and any major problems encountered along the way). My 17,000 miles wouldn't even make some rider's annual total, so no bragging rights by me.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm impressed by a fellow Victory rider that just rolled 100K miles onto his 2004 Victory Vegas. As I ride an '08 Kingpin, I'm interested in hearing the mega mileage other Kingpin riders have put on their bikes (and any major problems encountered along the way). My 17,000 miles wouldn't even make some rider's annual total, so no bragging rights by me.
Keep in mind that mileage doesn't necessarily use. Riding down the freeways will pile on the miles with minimum wear. Commuting in stop and go traffic OTOH will pile on the wear with minimum mileage.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's the most I've hear of on a KP. My Uncle has a 2001 Victory V92C with 110K miles and going strong! He is retired but has 2 other Victory bikes, one of which is a X-Country so old V92C doesn't get many miles anymore. These bikes are like cars. Take care of them and 200K is attainable on the original drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
2006 purchased in April 2007 about to turn over 80K.

Problems: Voltage regulator went bad twice... I replaced the stator and regulator, no issues since.

·
Premium Member
13,299 Posts
One guy, Rollin I think, put 200,000 miles on his KP. He did a lot of Iron Butt rides. I think that bike went back to Victory to be in a Museum. Might already be in one somewhere. I would like to think Victory took the motor apart to see what the wear looked like. It was still running fine when retired and the owner used Amsoil exclusively after the break in period if I remember right.

The unofficial mileage expectation for the Freedom motor and newer is 150,000 but that would be a 50/50 split between around town and highway miles. Like SB said; more miles on the highway will mean less wear and a higher mileage expectation but it isn't cut and dried. Load, mountain riding, type of riding or aggressive riding will affect the overall wear, tear, and mileage before a rebuild or motor replacement would be needed.

The funny thing is there really aren't that many Victory's getting into the high mileage category yet and those that are are usually Vision's. Vision riders are kinda like Gold Wing riders in that they love to put lots of miles on their rides using the super slabs and highways of America and Canada to do it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2006 purchased in April 2007 about to turn over 80K.

Problems: Voltage regulator went bad twice... I replaced the stator and regulator, no issues since.
What were the signs that your voltage regulator was bad? My headlight low beam burnt out and also the check engine light came on.

80K is a lot of riding!

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
What were the signs that your voltage regulator was bad?
The check engine light came on... a few minutes later the battery went completely dead and the engine shut off...

Mine has gone through a few low beam bulbs too, now that I think of it... unrelated to the regulator. It happened the other night in the dark. Pulled into Advance Auto Parts, bought one, and changed it in the parking lot.

The good news is that changing the regulator/rectifier or even the stator are quick and easy jobs. I used a Cometic gasket on the primary. Expensive, but a really nice gasket.

·
Registered
289 Posts
One guy, Rollin I think, put 200,000 miles on his KP. He did a lot of Iron Butt rides. I think that bike went back to Victory to be in a Museum. Might already be in one somewhere. I would like to think Victory took the motor apart to see what the wear looked like. It was still running fine when retired and the owner used Amsoil exclusively after the break in period if I remember right.
Roadkill's bike went to a museum, with some 200K+ miles, not Rollin who does lots of miles doing IBA rides but does not keep his bikes that long.

Fishwich had an '05 KP with 156K on it prior to her death last year.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DAMN! I thought that my 04 KP just under 50k was getting up there! It's still in it's prime after seeing these numbers!!!
The 04 Vegas with a 100K that I referenced is in the Twin Cities. Are you a member of Twin Cities Victory Riders? tcvr.us

·
Premium Member
13,299 Posts
Roadkill's bike went to a museum, with some 200K+ miles, not Rollin who does lots of miles doing IBA rides but does not keep his bikes that long.

Fishwich had an '05 KP with 156K on it prior to her death last year.
That's right. I keep getting the two of 'em mixed up.

Was very sad to lose Fishwhich. I understand someone bought the bike and is still putting miles on it.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Rode my 07 out of the dealership 2 Mar 11 with 2500 miles on it. Just put a rear tire on it earlier this month with 55,000 miles. Lots of highway, commuting, sun, rain and even snow.

·
Registered
407 Posts

The unofficial mileage expectation for the Freedom motor and newer is 150,000 but that would be a 50/50 split between around town and highway miles. Like SB said; more miles on the highway will mean less wear and a higher mileage expectation but it isn't cut and dried. Load, mountain riding, type of riding or aggressive riding will affect the overall wear, tear, and mileage before a rebuild or motor replacement would be needed.

The funny thing is there really aren't that many Victory's getting into the high mileage category yet and those that are are usually Vision's. Vision riders are kinda like Gold Wing riders in that they love to put lots of miles on their rides using the super slabs and highways of America and Canada to do it.
Not me!!
Roadkill had over 200,000 miles but that wasn't on a Kingpin.

My longest, quickest ride on my Kingpin was 11,907 miles in 16 days. (49 States in 10 days trip)
That trip also included a IBA SS5000, over 5000 miles in less than 5 days

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Not me!!

My longest, quickest ride on my Kingpin was 11,907 miles in 16 days. (49 States in 10 days trip)
Here's a thread about it.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Not me!!

Nice. 5 oil changes in 2 weeks?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts