Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around on here, but can't find a definitive answer to my situation. First of all, I have a 2005 Kingpin Anniversary Edition. It has the Stage One exhaust and intake installed. I would like a little more sound. I removed the baffles, just to see what it sounded like. It's too loud now...and doesn't have the greatest sound. Can I cut down the existing baffles? What would be the best parts of the baffle to remove? Would I need to remap the engine for this change? I've also looked at the Big Thunder baffles. Does anyone have any experience with these, and would a remap be required for them as well?
Many questions....sorry, but perhaps someone can help me out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what they would be called, but they look almost like the factory pipes, except a bit smaller in diameter. They aren't drag, or the curved slash cuts. However, they don't have the real small holes at the end of them, like the factory cans do. I removed them by taking out 2 tamper proof screws, and pounding them out from the "in" side with some wood slats.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
You have the Stage 1 performance pipes. Good performance 2 into 2 pipes!!thumb up

Thunder Baffles won't work because they don't make them that large.

Take out the baffle and see if it has the cat cons in it. If it does there is a weld you can break to take the cat con out. That will increase the sound a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I have found the perfect solution. I'm having a 2 1/8' inside diameter pipes flared to 3 7/8" outside diameter to fit into the stock pipes (which will become more of a "heat shield" after the modification is done). I will then install the Thunder Monster Baffles from Big City Thunder that are 2 1/8" outside diameter into the flared pipe. I spoke with a very informative guy from Big City that was GREAT with information!

I'll repost to let everyone know how they work out!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm interested! Good luck to you! Let us know what happens, maybe get some sound clips!

·
Registered
14 Posts
baffle mods

if you take the baffles out, you"ll see that they are about 18 inches long. the actual baffle part is 6 in. long with just an empty can taking up the other 12 inches. i took off the end cover and cut off 6 inches of that empty can end, then tacked the end cover back on. improved the sound dramatically. if i was to do it again, i might even take more than 6 inches off. funny thing was, at first it was almost quieter, but after a couple hundred miles, it became an intoxicating sound, told to me by some people behind me.just a couple hours hours of my time and ten bucks to my welder friend.the end covers have to be braised back on.started and ran great. no adjustments needed. just to clarify, this was done on the stage one slip-ons i had b4 i put on my true duals.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I couldn't wait any longer. I gutted my mufflers. I used a holesaw and extentions to take all the guts out. It's like having glass packs, they look like glass packs inside as well. It sounds like a drag car without the snap, its deep. I love it! Cost nothing since I had everything. I kept the guts incase I ever want to put it back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I knocked my baffles out lastnight, and only started and idled it so far. Dang is it loud! I may end up shortening the baffles, and re welding the end caps on. I'll try it out tonight and post. This is just a "temporary" thing until I bag and true dual mine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I knocked my baffles out lastnight, and only started and idled it so far. Dang is it loud! I may end up shortening the baffles, and re welding the end caps on. I'll try it out tonight and post. This is just a "temporary" thing until I bag and true dual mine.
What pipes do you have? Let us know how it works out? I've thought about shortening my baffles also.

Notice any change in power?

What do you mean by "dual mine"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What pipes do you have? Let us know how it works out? I've thought about shortening my baffles also.

Notice any change in power?

What do you mean by "dual mine"?
I took it around the block, and it actually doesent seem too loud outside of the shop. Inside is another story lol. It sounds about the same as an open hd rumbling down the road, only better lol. I have the Victory Performance duals, I think they are 3 5/8 id? I didnt notice any power difference, but I dont beat on my girl, it's my caddy lol. As for the "dual" reference, I'm going to do a true dual set up under my bags when I go that route. This is just temporary fun, I want to join the bagger party lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick update, I ended up cutting my baffles down to where the resonators start in them. PERFECTION! I think I'm going to leave them alone for now, until I get my true duals that is lol. Now it sounds as it should, and absolutely no popping. It also doesent have that hollow sound that I just dont care for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts