Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 2011 Kingpin. Great bike, but a bit short on real storage for commuting, lugging laptops etc. I was a dealer today and was sitting on a Cross Roads. The XR is bigger, but it wasn't a lot more effort to stand up than the KP. The XR has the bags, ABS, dual front brakes . My KP has a windscreen and cruise now, so that's a was.

For the XR owners, is the XR that much better than a KP? Is the XR nimble (for a big bike)? The KP does fairly well on a back road and pretty well on the interstate. I know the XR is more geared for the interstate, but I only commute on the interstates. When I'm out for a Sunday I try to avoid them.

So, is the XR upgrade worth it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Good question. I own both.
The CR has far superior rear suspension. Actually handles better at higher speeds.And the storage is awesome.
The KP handles a little better at low speeds to me.It also feels more like a "motorcycle" to me, if that makes sense. I guess it has a little more raw feel to it, to me anyway.
My wife is way more comfortable on the CR, so I will be selling the PIN soon. In a perfect world, I would keep both. I will for sure miss it, but the cross roads is just more refined and meets our needs better.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I think so. The huge side cases and weather protection are great, as are the loooong floorbaords. I ride mine to the grocery and on multi-day trips with ease.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

Tarzan - how does the gas mileage compare between the KP and XR? I've read that the XR is a bit more thirsty. My KP does really well, probably mid 40's. I would expect a bit less on the XR due to the extra weight, but I don't want to swap to something that gets 35 mpg!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Actually, my kingpin gets 38-42. Depending on conditions. It only has a 5 speed trans, also has high compression pistons bigger cams and a few other goodies.
My CR gets 40 - 46 depending.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2011 Kingpin. Great bike, but a bit short on real storage for commuting, lugging laptops etc. I was a dealer today and was sitting on a Cross Roads. The XR is bigger, but it wasn't a lot more effort to stand up than the KP. The XR has the bags, ABS, dual front brakes . My KP has a windscreen and cruise now, so that's a was.

For the XR owners, is the XR that much better than a KP? Is the XR nimble (for a big bike)? The KP does fairly well on a back road and pretty well on the interstate. I know the XR is more geared for the interstate, but I only commute on the interstates. When I'm out for a Sunday I try to avoid them.

Thanks in advance.

The Kingpin got me hooked on Victory. The XR keeps me a fanboy.

Out of the box, the KP has a hair more juju when you twist the wick.

The XR OTOH has more ground clearance, is more comfortable for rider and passenger, has more luggage capacity, more fuel capacity, an air adjustable shock, a stiff aluminum frame, and hell yeah they can haul ass down twisty roads!

Vic_Gap_2011_7.jpg

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The Kingpin got me hooked on Victory. The XR keeps me a fanboy.

Out of the box, the KP has a hair more juju when you twist the wick.

The XR OTOH has more ground clearance, is more comfortable for rider and passenger, has more luggage capacity, more fuel capacity, an air adjustable shock, a stiff aluminum frame, and hell yeah they can haul ass down twisty roads!

View attachment 56601
Your sig pic is one of the reasons I'm looking at the XR. That was going to be my next question! The KP is nice on a back road. I had a Road King a few years back. Not a bad bike, and for a bike it's size it handled pretty well. BUT - it was a big heavy feeling bike. I ended up selling it. It was tough to paddle around the garage and tough to back up in a parking lot. I don't want to make the same mistake! Should probably try a demo when the weather breaks. In the meantime I'll have to rely on everyone's real world experience!

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
My XR gets up to 50mpg on back road rides with the speedo hovering around 55 to 60. Worst tank was 35 and was mostly stop 'n go city stuff.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My XR gets up to 50mpg on back road rides with the speedo hovering around 55 to 60. Worst tank was 35 and was mostly stop 'n go city stuff.
Thanks. How does it do at 70-ish? My commute is about 54 miles each way, about 40 miles at 70 mph on the interstate.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Around 70 per she gets about 40mpg depending on the terrain. A lot of upgrades takes it down of course. That's cuz I'll drop down a gear or two. More interested in the fun factor than squeezing every drop of gas.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Your sig pic is one of the reasons I'm looking at the XR. That was going to be my next question! The KP is nice on a back road. I had a Road King a few years back. Not a bad bike, and for a bike it's size it handled pretty well. BUT - it was a big heavy feeling bike. I ended up selling it. It was tough to paddle around the garage and tough to back up in a parking lot. I don't want to make the same mistake! Should probably try a demo when the weather breaks. In the meantime I'll have to rely on everyone's real world experience!
Well, if paddling weight is an issue, the XR is going to be worse than the KP as it weighs around 80 lbs more. It does carry it weight very low, and once moving virtually disappears, but that won't help pulling it out of the garage.

I have a top box on mine now and when I move the bike backward, I push on the top box with my right hand and steer the handlebar with my left and it's easy for me to manuever while standing up straight, but I understand we aren't all built the same. Victory does make a reverse gear for those with issues moving them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2011 Kingpin.

Thanks in advance.
There is a solution to your problem, but it can get expensive. I too, had the same questions and just had to find out for myself. thumb up

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
That's a thing of beauty! thumb up

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a solution to your problem, but it can get expensive. I too, had the same questions and just had to find out for myself. thumb up
Believe me, I've thought about it!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the question is, are the two bikes different enough to justify both?

·
Registered
837 Posts
It is really about the type of bike you want. I love them both, but one needs to go and it really does not matter which one--I will be happy with either.

The XR is more of a "floater" on the highway, but do not be fooled!!!! It is as good as a mountain\twisties bike as I have ever ridden. I took it to the Smokies last year and it really surprised me. My buddy on the Kawa Versys had trouble keeping up with the XR. We are both old but over the years all my different Harleys (Fatboy\Ultra Classic\RK Custom|Honda VTX and Valkyrie) had trouble catching him on his 750 Shadow and suddenly he and his "sport bike" had trouble hanging with the XR--go figure.

The Pin is nothing but fun and I love it. It is lighter and more nimble as you probably already know.I have done a bit of a make over on it and am doing the same on the XR as we speak.

A Mustang Daytripper seat and 1" lowering link REALLY does wonders on changing the feel of the XR. The combo puts you 2 1\5" lower to the ground and your feet a lot firmer for paddling. Also hate the stock windshield. It is going and being replaced with a MRA for a better aero package.

Anyway--if you decide you want a XR--here is a GREAT DEAL!!!!! Or just come on down for a free extended test ride. I see you are in VA, so you are not that far. thumb up

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=47978

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4IP - great looking XR. Interesting that you decided to keep the KP (or at least that you're leaning that way). I really like my KP, I'm frustrated by it's lack of storage options. I commute on it and I have to stuff my laptop in a t-bag. Not a bad solution, but I'd like a bit more. Probably need to look at the bags for KP. Certainly cheaper than a XR!

I really liked the bags on the XR, but I'm not sure I want back into the bike bike club. I had a Road King a few years back. Nice bike, but I got tired of a bike that size. KP is smaller; enough to make a difference and it's a great bike. XR is a great bike as well, but maybe not for me. Decisions, decisions...Dang, I need To hit the lottery.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the '08 Kingpin Tour and the trunk makes up for the lack of storage in the saddlebags.I love the way this bike handles in the twisties and it is quite comfortable on the open road. If money were no object, I would have the XC rather than the XR to complement the KP but that is just me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the '08 Kingpin Tour and the trunk makes up for the lack of storage in the saddlebags.I love the way this bike handles in the twisties and it is quite comfortable on the open road. If money were no object, I would have the XC rather than the XR to complement the KP but that is just me.
Good point. Do you have picture of your KP with just the trunk mounted? I was looking at the trunk online at it would be good for cummting. I thought about adding just trunk, but I can't find a picture of a KP with just a trunk. Would it look better/more balanced with both bags and trunk?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the Champion hard bags on my KP, but there are other other options. If you can get your hands on a set of XR or XC bags, Witch Doctors makes a mounting kit for the Kingpin and they do look good. It may require some exhaust mod and a turn signal re-location---BUT THEY DO LOOK GREAT. Check with the Doctor as I am sure he has some pictures.

The best looking soft leather bags for the Pin is US Saddlebags. Half Crazy has them on his yellow KP and they look great. He can get you some good pictures I am sure---but he probably wants to talk engine performance instead.:ltr: thumb up I love the way they seal up-- a lot like the Harley Springer Heritage bags from the early 2000. They protect the contents better than most.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts